Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Groucho, you are in the medical profession from my understanding. What is your view on the origin of depression and other mental health issues?

I've done a lot of reading - I try only to stick to peer-reviewed articles - and it seems like the stress response and stress hormones are a big culprit of predisposing people to these things - http://news.berkeley.edu/2014/02/11/chronic-stress-predisposes-brain-to-mental-illness/. Seems like repeated stress or things like addiction (which goes on to alter your pleasure response and stress response) have to ability to blunt our emotions/feelings, and that's how we enjoy and experience the world.
Cortisol being the chief culprit, amongst others.

Haven't visited this part of the forum for a while but I have to admit my mental health aint great right now.

I feel like I am being bullied at work and singled out by someone because they know I am a compulsive gambler. I have reported the behaviour to my manager but as usual they have done zip about it.

I get really paranoid at work when I hear this person whispering to other people. It's probably not about me but I can't help thinking it is. They organize staff parties when they know I attend my meeting because I have been open and honest about what I attend and when.

It's really getting me down. I have a great partner but she has her own issues.

I don't know what to do for the best.

Haven't visited this part of the forum for a while but I have to admit my mental health aint great right now.

I feel like I am being bullied at work and singled out by someone because they know I am a compulsive gambler. I have reported the behaviour to my manager but as usual they have done zip about it.

I get really paranoid at work when I hear this person whispering to other people. It's probably not about me but I can't help thinking it is. They organize staff parties when they know I attend my meeting because I have been open and honest about what I attend and when.

@anjelikaferrett is great at work related stuff mate.

Is there someone above your manager you can take this to? Is there a department that can help? We call the department human resources here, but it's essentially including workplace environment.

The first thing you should try to do mate is concentrate on stayin free from the gambling. In recovery now for five years but if tortured me mentally and still have the scars from it. Don't get sucked back into that abyss

If you have spoken to your manager about it then he/she should have done something about it. They have a duty of care to their staff and bullying is a very serious matter. Even if your manager does not think you are being bullied and has chosen to do nothing about it, the fact that your perception is that you are makes it a very real and stressful situation for you. However that is in an ideal world, most managers I have come across will bury their heads in the sand and hope that the problem goes away without them doing anything - which usually leads to the situation escalating and only when matters are made formal do they act.

You are well within your rights to ask your manager what they did because you don't feel that the situation has improved and it is now affecting your health and well-being.
You could put in a grievance against the other party and force HR/management to do something as you have made the process formal.
Does your organisation have someone like a counselling and support person or a welfare officer who you could speak to? or an employee helpline
Speak to HR about it. Explain that have previously spoken to your manager and they have not done anything.

Keep a diary of all the incidents that happen. Write them down and also write down how it makes you feel. You will then have a record to use as evidence. Exclusion is one of the most insidious forms of bullying there is. Nasty horrible behaviour.

Hi everyone.

Things have settled down for me over the past few weeks, I've been fine and not had experienced anything which has really got me down. I didn't leave my job (still looking for something better) because I voiced my concerns and changes were made and flaws ironed out that helped me and others feel a lot more comfortable in the work we were doing.

Still going out on most weekends, only for a few drinks or sit around with my friends because after a hard week it's good to unwind, but nothing over the top. I hope something materialises soon which gives me something new to focus on, I still feeling a bit bored and am waiting for something exciting to come along in my life but other than that things are okay.

Sorry to hear other people are having problems at work, I've been there myself and God it can be horrible. I don't really have issues with anyone at the moment, the previous incident with a colleague who said nasty stuff to me daily went away because she got the message to jack it in or face consequences so she did and now we work apart anyway.

From my own experience I think work isn't the best place to talk about your personal life because you never really know who you can trust with sensitive information. There are certain things that managers and other people in authority should be made aware about, if you have certain commitments or struggles that require understanding and flexibility they need to know so they can help if a difficult scenario ever comes about. If they do nowt to help or show compassion then that's a crying shame but the only thing you can do make a note of it mentally so you know that that person isn't someone who has your back in future. Never forget who was there to help in times of need and who wasn't. Always judge a person by their character and a perfect way to see what type of character a person has deep down is to see what they do when they could go out of their for someone. Many people have kind hearts and will help someone purely out of kindness but unfortunately also a lot of people won't do anything for anyone else unless they feel there's something in it for them, they're the type of people you need to try to root out and avoid in life.

On the "shop floor" though, amongst your direct colleagues, I wouldn't tell people anything they can later use against you because people will gossip or bitch, it's human nature unfortunately. Offices in particular can be difficult to cope with, a lot of people are two-faced and share dirt on each other because being cooped up together for hours on end causes tensions. I've been in that exact situation before where I'm convinced people who are whispering are talking about me, it's a terribly upsetting state of mind. Best to do in that case is simply DON'T LOOK AT THEM. Don't give your brain the mental image and allow it draw a conclusion. If people are talking about you, and you can't know for certain, if they see that you're clearly not bothered they'll get bored and stop.

I'm always around if anyone needs to chat. Stay strong and never forget there will always be someone here to listen if you need it. :)

Last edited:
The first thing you should try to do mate is concentrate on stayin free from the gambling. In recovery now for five years but if tortured me mentally and still have the scars from it. Don't get sucked back into that abyss
Well done on being 5 years in to recovery mate it is certainly not easy. Just passed the 2 year mark for me.

Yes I don't think the torture of what happened goes away you just learn to live with it and try to move on. I can't change the past but it doesn't mean I will forget what I did or who i hurt and all I can do is be a better human being.

If you have spoken to your manager about it then he/she should have done something about it. They have a duty of care to their staff and bullying is a very serious matter. Even if your manager does not think you are being bullied and has chosen to do nothing about it, the fact that your perception is that you are makes it a very real and stressful situation for you. However that is in an ideal world, most managers I have come across will bury their heads in the sand and hope that the problem goes away without them doing anything - which usually leads to the situation escalating and only when matters are made formal do they act.

You are well within your rights to ask your manager what they did because you don't feel that the situation has improved and it is now affecting your health and well-being.
You could put in a grievance against the other party and force HR/management to do something as you have made the process formal.
Does your organisation have someone like a counselling and support person or a welfare officer who you could speak to? or an employee helpline
Speak to HR about it. Explain that have previously spoken to your manager and they have not done anything.

Keep a diary of all the incidents that happen. Write them down and also write down how it makes you feel. You will then have a record to use as evidence. Exclusion is one of the most insidious forms of bullying there is. Nasty horrible behaviour.
Thank you for this.

We had a meeting with the people who I made a complaint about which I opened up and actually cried in the meeting. But now I feel all this person has done is see this and just target me more. We don't have counselling per se they just sign post you to services. I have contacted the civil service charity for help and advise.

Sadly in the civil service all they ever do is pay lip service to mental health and they don't see a compulsive gambler as having mental health issues. But it has led to depression suicidal thoughts in the past and I do try to stay as positive as I can, but at times it can be really tough.

I do understand people saying ignore this person etc but it's difficult when this person is leading all the activities in the office and others are just enabling his actions and won't speak against him. If I complain again it will just be ramped up again.