Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Good, best to get out and about. Just remember that alcohol can cause anxiety the next day.

Not that I heed my own advice there lol

Not knocking supplements at all, but just be careful with unprescribed stuff, even herbal or over the counter things.

Can mess with your kidneys, liver etc.

Good advice, imo. I once had a look at trying 5HTP and found this when researching it ...

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/287832-5-HTP-and-cardiac-fibrosis

Caveat emptor I guess.

Lying in bed and just had a mini-epiphany.

Sick of being an over-thinker who assumes the worst and tells himself he's no good. No more.

Going to be confident from now, being confident is better than being low. Take risks, even if they backfire then so what, it won't kill me and I'm going to make sure others know they can't hurt me.

Sounds really dumb but one bloke I admire for his self-confidence is Big Sam Allardyce. Gets slated left, right and centre but does he give a toss? Not one bit. Just carries on doing his thing and if you don't like it then whatever, you can sod off. That's the attitude I want in life, I'll go far with it.

Lying in bed and just had a mini-epiphany.

Sick of being an over-thinker who assumes the worst and tells himself he's no good. No more.

Going to be confident from now, being confident is better than being low. Take risks, even if they backfire then so what, it won't kill me and I'm going to make sure others know they can't hurt me.

Sounds really dumb but one bloke I admire for his self-confidence is Big Sam Allardyce. Gets slated left, right and centre but does he give a toss? Not one bit. Just carries on doing his thing and if you don't like it then whatever, you can sod off. That's the attitude I want in life, I'll go far with it.
That's good that mate.

Be prepared to have the odd setback - just pick up and carry on with the confidence.

I've read a few things that state that a magnesium supplement can be good for anxiety. Apparently it works to regulate the nervous system and help you feel more relaxed. It is possible that many people may have a magnesium deficiency.

I'm giving it a go anyway. I'll let you all know if I notice an improvement.

I've been using it for a whole now as per advice from @chicoazul.

I suffer badly from anxiety related insomnia - get off to sleep fine, but wake several times during the night.

I reckon it's worked for me, as I'm not waking as much and get back off quicker when I do wake.

If you're taking any other prescription meds, check with your Doc first before you start taking them, as it could lead to an adverse reaction x

I've been using it for a whole now as per advice from @chicoazul.

I suffer badly from anxiety related insomnia - get off to sleep fine, but wake several times during the night.

I reckon it's worked for me, as I'm not waking as much and get back off quicker when I do wake.

If you're taking any other prescription meds, check with your Doc first before you start taking them, as it could lead to an adverse reaction x

How much do you take and what form do you take it in?

I've got this liquid stuff that also has Vitamin D and Calcium in. I take 10ml twice a day which adds up to 300mg of magnesium per day. Only been taking it since Friday so too early to tell if it's making a difference yet.

I've got this liquid stuff that also has Vitamin D and Calcium in. I take 10ml twice a day which adds up to 300mg of magnesium per day. Only been taking it since Friday so too early to tell if it's making a difference yet.

I take one 200 mg magnesium citrate tablet a day, about 30 mins before I go to bed.

I used to take 2 x 200mg tablets, but cut down to one, as it was giving me the wildees in the morning !.

From my own experience I'd say it takes about 3/4 wks before it works, due to the way the body absorbs it.

Have a read up on it and see what you think ?

The current new one for anxiety is Cherry Juice ( seriously ). I haven't tried it.

Has to be magnesium citrate as it's absorbed by the body better. As was said it can give you the wildies at first but persist, I take it every night and it works well.

My Dad died about an month ago. We hadn't talked or seen each other many years. When I was a kid I heard him and my Mum shouting at each other, what seemed every night. ( now that's classed as child abuse believe it or not, although I don't think anything would be done about it). I spent much of my childhood trying to win his affection, doing things that I thought would make him proud. I don't think I ever managed it, I doubt I could of. He left my Mum for his best mates wife and that caused its own issues in the early 90's. During the break up my Dad told me he'd had an affair while I was being born in hospital. I made a big effort to keep seeing him. But when I got married my Dad didn't come to my wedding. This was the end of me relationship with him. I realised whatever I did I was never going to win the love or affection I needed. (I only wanted a hand shake and him telling me he was proud of me) A month became a year and a Year became about 19 years and then got to hear he was in Hospital. I was there when he died.

I went to the funeral and heard everyone telling me, what a good man he was etc. My sister telling me about the good times we had when we were kids. All I feel is anger and like I'm owed something.

I'm actually a qualified Mental Health Nurse. I have looked after people who have been subject to terrible abuse and feel guilty of the way I feel. I have had a life that they can only dream of. I have a loving Wife and two kids I love with all my heart and do everything I can to let them know how much I love them every day.

I tell myself how lucky I am and answer my own questions about my grief. Sometimes my training kicks in. But my feelings still kick in.

Thanks very much if you read through that. I just needed to get it off my chest.

To anyone going through mental health issues, I hope you're get the help you need. Ask for it please. Rich

My Dad died about an month ago. We hadn't talked or seen each other many years. When I was a kid I heard him and my Mum shouting at each other, what seemed every night. ( now that's classed as child abuse believe it or not, although I don't think anything would be done about it). I spent much of my childhood trying to win his affection, doing things that I thought would make him proud. I don't think I ever managed it, I doubt I could of. He left my Mum for his best mates wife and that caused its own issues in the early 90's. During the break up my Dad told me he'd had an affair while I was being born in hospital. I made a big effort to keep seeing him. But when I got married my Dad didn't come to my wedding. This was the end of me relationship with him. I realised whatever I did I was never going to win the love or affection I needed. (I only wanted a hand shake and him telling me he was proud of me) A month became a year and a Year became about 19 years and then got to hear he was in Hospital. I was there when he died.

I went to the funeral and heard everyone telling me, what a good man he was etc. My sister telling me about the good times we had when we were kids. All I feel is anger and like I'm owed something.

I'm actually a qualified Mental Health Nurse. I have looked after people who have been subject to terrible abuse and feel guilty of the way I feel. I have had a life that they can only dream of. I have a loving Wife and two kids I love with all my heart and do everything I can to let them know how much I love them every day.

I tell myself how lucky I am and answer my own questions about my grief. Sometimes my training kicks in. But my feelings still kick in.

Thanks very much if you read through that. I just needed to get it off my chest.

To anyone going through mental health issues, I hope you're get the help you need. Ask for it please. Rich
Great post mate. Adversity and perspective.