Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Not having a good day today, struggling to concentrate and think clearly. Haven't been sleeping very well, I feel very tired in the evenings but struggle to settle down. Been on the Citalapram for nearly 3 weeks, feel like I have mood swings were I can start to feel very irratable at times. People tell me that it takes a while to start working though so I will stick with it.

I've been enjoying work for the past 9 months and lately that has been getting me down aswell, hopefully that is a symptom of the anxiety and things wI'll go back to normal soon.
Takes a while mate, when do you take them? I take mine before bed for what it's worth

Last weekend I went to see the London Symphony Orchestra play, and most members of the orchestra were wearing green ribbons in support of this mental health campaign- https://www.thelordmayorsappeal.org/this-is-me/about/ - made me very happy that there's more and more openness about mental health issues.

On a totally different note, I've been seeing a career coach through my work; in the sessions we've talked a lot about my stressful (and sometimes bullying) work situation and the dsyfunctional team I'm in, which has helped me see that a lot of what surrounds me is stuff I can't do much about, due to the personalities involved. It did make me laugh in a sad way yesterday when my coach stopped referring to my "development plan" and called it my "get out plan" - sums it all up really, when the person who is supposed to be encouraging you to develop within the organisation is basically saying that you need to leave...!
Could be for the best. I worked for 6 years in a terrible environment where bullying and back stabbing was a daily occurrence - a school - and I'm talking staff, not kids - the kids were fine!
In the end I was in a rut of comfort zone, where I just kept my head down (insofar as I could, being an outspoken type). Eventually, I just had enough, applied and got another job and it was a revelation. I'd forgotten that there are some normal work places where the people are nice and treat you as a human.
It's not you, it's the system you're in. Look for a more compatible system.

Could be for the best. I worked for 6 years in a terrible environment where bullying and back stabbing was a daily occurrence - a school - and I'm talking staff, not kids - the kids were fine!
In the end I was in a rut of comfort zone, where I just kept my head down (insofar as I could, being an outspoken type). Eventually, I just had enough, applied and got another job and it was a revelation. I'd forgotten that there are some normal work places where the people are nice and treat you as a human.
It's not you, it's the system you're in. Look for a more compatible system.

Couldnt emphasise this point enough mate. Ive been struggling for about 5 years now. My counselling cant help me because im just too much of a headcase. Depression, anxiety and a personality where i constantly worry is a lethal cocktail.
One thing my counselling has helped me to do is realise that work is the problem. No payrise, no promotion and a company where the fatcats get fatter with their pay and i get fatter by hiding in my comfort zone feeling useless.

I applied for a £19k apprentice job in the civil courts, would of been perfect for promotion and pay opportunities but i didnt score as high as some other applicants, felt like a hammer blow.

Right now im waiting for some sort of high intensity counselling, asked a friend to help me get back into the gym, i guess i need to just perservere with what i have and be patient.

Just someone I've been chasing for a while not giving me the time of day and showing her true colours. It's put me right off.

Hey ho, we move forward. Not letting it hurt my new confidence.

If you want some advice mate - take it as just my opinion, you will meet someone new, someone who will see you for your qualities and take the bad points too. Once this happens you will look at lets call her 'your crush' and realise that she isnt all that. What normally happens is you know she either isnt interested or she knows that you are and drags you along, because you know this you try and make more effort to change her opinion, you start putting effort into those that dont deserve it.

Instead channel your energy into something or someone more productive, rejection is a horrible thing but whats worse is not being rejected by someone who has no interest in you anyway.

I believe that everything happens for a reason, some good, some. Ad. Its all about finding the balance that suits you mate.

Every morning before I leave the house. From what I understand it doesn't make much difference when you take them. Could be wrong about that I suppose

It makes a massive difference when you take them.

They hould be the same time everyday religiously.

If you miss it by even an hour, it can throw you out of kilter.

Some people take them before bed - helps sleep and should wake feeling normal.

Others take them during the day - helps to feel normal during the day.

Anti D's should always be taken at the same time every day regardless x

I took mine for about a week then gave up on them, made me feel kind of weird, not sure if it was just teething problems that i would eventually get used to them. Plenty of water and sleep is my usual 'go to plan' but im really struggling to sleep lately, just plenty of water at the minute :confused:

Thanks for the info. I forgot to take them this morning and didn't take them until I got home.

I took mine for about a week then gave up on them, made me feel kind of weird, not sure if it was just teething problems that i would eventually get used to them. Plenty of water and sleep is my usual 'go to plan' but im really struggling to sleep lately, just plenty of water at the minute :confused:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

They take at least three weeks to work.

That weird feeling is your brain " recalibrating " amongst other things.

Go back to your GP and ask him / her to fully explain what to expect re the side effects and how long before they start working properly is.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

They take at least three weeks to work.

That weird feeling is your brain " recalibrating " amongst other things.

Go back to your GP and ask him / her to fully explain what to expect re the side effects and how long before they start working properly is.

To be honest mate i actually tried to be a know it all and thought they were doing more harm than good, i felt like crap !

I tried to approach things in a different way, instead of letting things drag me down and wind myself up, i choose to confront the issues head on. Anything from my anxiety to anger management.

The problem is i have a tendency to let little things wind me up, when you couple that with lack of sleep through anxiety and my brain constantly working away even at 3-4-5am it takes something minor to set me off.

Today was perfect example, everything was okay until i had a run in with someone on here, i tried to remove said person from winding me up, usually F'n this F'n that is my go to reaction, instead im trying to remove negativity, people, changing jobs etc without relying on others/medication to sort it for me. Some of my family have said its foolish, some have said that different approaches work for different people.

Im going to something along the lines of high intensity anxiety to get myself started, the previous course helped identify i had a issue but the techniques couldnt help me solve them.

To be honest mate i actually tried to be a know it all and thought they were doing more harm than good, i felt like crap !

I tried to approach things in a different way, instead of letting things drag me down and wind myself up, i choose to confront the issues head on. Anything from my anxiety to anger management.

The problem is i have a tendency to let little things wind me up, when you couple that with lack of sleep through anxiety and my brain constantly working away even at 3-4-5am it takes something minor to set me off.

Today was perfect example, everything was okay until i had a run in with someone on here, i tried to remove said person from winding me up, usually F'n this F'n that is my go to reaction, instead im trying to remove negativity, people, changing jobs etc without relying on others/medication to sort it for me. Some of my family have said its foolish, some have said that different approaches work for different people.

Im going to something along the lines of high intensity anxiety to get myself started, the previous course helped identify i had a issue but the techniques couldnt help me solve them.

That's brilliant, but look at anti depressants as a tool to help you whilst you are re training yourself mentally to deal with your " problems ".

Think of them as a crutch to help you during your recovery period

Once you're where you feel you want to be and your GP agrees, you then lessen the dose with a view to coming off altogether- if appropriate.