Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Evening all!

Day 28 of my convalescence, and continuing to get back my old self DG.

Some talk that hospital visitors may be allowed soon as CV19 restrictions ease. It has been hard to literally say Hello/Goodbye to my family when they have dropped various things in for me. Receptionists are either right dragons or pleasant- the latter very conscious though of cctv so they try to allow a few minutes snatched chat but risk being reprimanded !

Anyway, anxiety continues to stay away. I am clear that I will not return to the toxicity of the manager who is responsible for eventually breaking me after more than 3 years of bullying and harassment.

I speak to Head of HR again Monday to see if they have another position at same level to offer. If not, I will probably retire early on health grounds. That won't present any problems to me, if that is the option.

Eating and sleeping really well, helping newcomers to adjust as best I can, I have submitted my 8000 word Integrative Project and Exam answers for the last two modules of my 4 year degree, and planning going on for an M.A. in Autumn.

Thanks for all the suppo from the GOT family. I am proudly wearing EFC jersies and t shirts around the place. A couple of RS and one Red Manc.

Probably two more weeks and back home DV.

COYB!!!
Well done sir, appears you are recovering well. Remember and it's important. Any " blips " are part of the recovery process. It's called life and shouldn't be seen as a step back or failure. Good luck buddy.

I'm going through exactly the same mate. I'm now in a shabby flat and I'm considering moving into a bedsit to cut costs again.
I Was a good dad. The exact words from my ex 3 months a go were " your a [Poor language removed] dad and you always were ". Heart breaking.
I again can't compete with my ex and her interfering parents who just throw money at my daughter and now that's all she talks about. " Dad you don't pay or by me anything"
I can't advise you mate because I'm at breaking point. I'm no where near divorce yet either

Kids (especially teenagers) often dont realise just how much parents do for them mate. I grew up in a poor household and often as a mardy arse teenager used to get annoyed seeing some of the kids from better off families come in to school with designer trabs or having come back off family holidays to Florida or Greece whilst I had none of that.

Its only when I was into my twenties that I realised my folks done everything they could for me and I certainly wouldn't be who I am today without their support. I owe a hell of alot to them but have only in recent years realised that - so will your kids mate deffo.

Ive only been back working from home for 3 weeks and already my anxiety and stress are back to near the levels that had me signed off at the start of March. The targets we are being set to keep the company profitable are impossible and the pressure is relentless. I got the invite for my appraisal on Friday and even though it's not until september I was a ball of stress all night.

Its 10am on Sunday and I'm already stressed about monday morning.

Literally the only reason I do this job is to pay the bills. I would just quit but pretty much any other job I can get will be the same corporate environment and i have no confidence that my Dutch is good enough to work in so I'll always be in these multinational corporate environments.

Ive only been back working from home for 3 weeks and already my anxiety and stress are back to near the levels that had me signed off at the start of March. The targets we are being set to keep the company profitable are impossible and the pressure is relentless. I got the invite for my appraisal on Friday and even though it's not until september I was a ball of stress all night.

Literally the only reason I do this job is to pay the bills. I would just quit but pretty much any other job I can get will be the same corporate environment and i have no confidence that my Dutch is good enough to work in so I'll always be in these multinational corporate environments.

Work’s been similar for me lately. Got shifted to a new team just after lockdown, no access to their systems, completely different way of working that no one is helping me with, then Thursday they say they’re furloughing most of us from yesterday (I wanted this) and now there are rumours it’s being cancelled Monday morning. Been an anxious mess all weekend and not enjoyed my free time at all.

Work’s been similar for me lately. Got shifted to a new team just after lockdown, no access to their systems, completely different way of working that no one is helping me with, then Thursday they say they’re furloughing most of us from yesterday (I wanted this) and now there are rumours it’s being cancelled Monday morning. Been an anxious mess all weekend and not enjoyed my free time at all.

Atmosphere in our place has changed completely since we came back. All the focus on making things work better has gone and everything is just cost killing. It's not what I was hired for and its not what I enjoy.

Most of my role has been put on the backburner and my job now is simply to buy cardboard cheaper.

You've probably thought of this already but what about organisations that aren't driven by profit? Dunno where in Belgium you are but I think in Brussels there are plenty of places like that, EU type organisations, NGOs, charities etc. They'd likely mostly have English as their working language too.

I worked in this environment in my last job. The company had over expanded and needed to massively cut costs, in other words jobs.

The atmosphere changed almost over night. More and more work, completely unrealistic targets, which were designed to force people to leave of their own accord - managed out. Whole departments would go overnight or be merged with another.

It’s an horrendous situation to be in and you both have my full sympathies.

You've probably thought of this already but what about organisations that aren't driven by profit? Dunno where in Belgium you are but I think in Brussels there are plenty of places like that, EU type organisations, NGOs, charities etc. They'd likely mostly have English as their working language too.

From the people I know who work in the big NGOs etc, they seem just as ruthless as the corporates.

I think I'm just going to have to suck up this job for a few months and make sure my Dutch gets up to working levels and work my way through What Colour Is Your Parachute again.