Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi mate,

What the tablets should make you do is feel " normal " again.

It can cause a bit of anxiety when it happens, as you become so used to being on your arse or wired, that when they start to work it almost feels that something is wrong due to you having forgotten what feeling " normal " is like.

My advice is to take the tablets religiously at the same time(s) every day, that way it becomes part of your daily routine and you won`t forget to take them. Plus they`ll work as they`re supposed to to due to the correct levels of meds always being in your body.

Once they start working, don`t be tempted to stop taking them, as you`re now " better " and don`t need to take them anymore. ( a lot do this ).

It`s the tablets that are making you feel better, so keep taking them.

They`re not an exact science, so you may need to change your dose ( up / down ) or even change them if they`re not working as they should.

You`re GP should be monitoring this and maintaining regular contact with you ?

Keep up the good work mate, it`s always great to read positive posts like yours. ;)

yeah mate gotta go back next week for an update/re-prescription

not sure if you remember from the past but half the reason (assumption) for me and my family falling out is my mum is bipolar and stopped taking hers, so I know all about the risks of stopping

quite amusing really, we would have so much in common (including mental illness) and would probably get on like a house on fire, if we didn't hate each other haha

Found out today that a lady I work with has taken her own life over the weekend. Her Mum died earlier in the week and this seems to have been the trigger for what she did. I didn't really know her, I used to pass the time of day with her if I was using the printer near her desk. I'm very sad that in spite of all the mental health initiatives we have in work, like a counselling service and mental health first aiders that nobody recognised she was struggling or that somebody has felt so alone and hopeless that they have done this Time To Change have got a really good ad campaign at the moment "Ask Twice" - We want people to ‘Ask Twice’ if they suspect a friend, family member, or colleague might be struggling with their mental health. The simple act of asking again, with interest, can help someone to open up for the first time. I'm going to do this.

Found out today that a lady I work with has taken her own life over the weekend. Her Mum died earlier in the week and this seems to have been the trigger for what she did. I didn't really know her, I used to pass the time of day with her if I was using the printer near her desk. I'm very sad that in spite of all the mental health initiatives we have in work, like a counselling service and mental health first aiders that nobody recognised she was struggling or that somebody has felt so alone and hopeless that they have done this Time To Change have got a really good ad campaign at the moment "Ask Twice" - We want people to ‘Ask Twice’ if they suspect a friend, family member, or colleague might be struggling with their mental health. The simple act of asking again, with interest, can help someone to open up for the first time. I'm going to do this.

Such a tragedy, but people can put a mask on and pretend to the outside world that everything is okay with them, when the reality is very different.

How many people answer honestly when others ask them if everything is okay ?

The stiff upper lip / not burdening others with your problems is still sadly very prevalent throughout British society.

Very sad news.

It's true that what we see from our colleagues at work is simply 'the tip of the iceberg'.

What a good idea 'Ask twice' is. So many of us feel the need to just put a brave face on.

I'm very sorry for you, your coworkers, and her family.

I intervened twice for 2 coworkers of mine. Both were men that I knew were struggling with personal and professional issues, and they both looked like they could be one step away from hurting themselves even though neither said anything.

Because I thought they might have a hard time talking to me, in both instances I went to an older, well-respected man in my organization who I knew wasn't a gossip. I explained my concerns and asked them to talk to the guys. In each case, after the older men spoke to the younger guys, I could see a difference in their demeanor and their behavior was more positive. Just a suggestion if you don't feel comfortable talking to a coworker yourself.

And I actually had a male coworker pull me aside and ask if I was alright since he noticed I had lost a lot of weight. He was right because I had been under a lot of stress. I told him I was fine just some stress (played it off), but it was a wake up call for me to stop stressing because it was killing me.

I think that is a very good policy asking twice. It's not gonna work on everyone but that 2nd time shows that you've actually noticed something rather than just passing time of day. I think given the timescale with your colleague there probably wasn't much you could have done. It makes me sad that people get to that point. Hopefully with all these new initiatives and people being a bit more understanding more people will ask for help.

This time of year I find it hard to snap out of not feeling great. Winter has always been the season I don't like. And Christmas is not something I look forward to as I'm single and no kids and kinda feel like I'm missin out on things.
Know it's nothing I can really sort out but if I could hibernate til March I would!

You sound like me. You can't snap out of it and neither should you have to. I think you are halfway there recognising the problem. Someone suggested going on sunbed to me as it gives some sunlight. I'm gonna give it a try can't do any harm. Maybe work for you.

You sound like me. You can't snap out of it and neither should you have to. I think you are halfway there recognising the problem. Someone suggested going on sunbed to me as it gives some sunlight. I'm gonna give it a try can't do any harm. Maybe work for you.
I've realised the problem with a while. Went to my doctor and on medication.
But I'm thinking I may need to go back. Or do something else.
Because last Christmas /new year I was close to breaking point.

Definitely go back at least you know and that is a help. Phone Dr as soon as you can if talking helps PM me. Or I'll respond on this thread do not suffer alone.

Good that your doc knows and also on meds. Sometimes they do take time to take effect and start to make a difference. Also if you’ve had them a while and don’t feel they are working then go back to the doc and tell him as there are a few different meds they can try and different doses they can give you as like most things it’s different things for different folks. You do have to give the meds time to work tho so although it’s hard you need to battle through.
Main thing tho tell the doctor as he will be non the wiser if you don’t let him know.
Good luck

Why not take yourself on holiday around this time every year? Get yourself to Tenerife or something - you won’t even realise it’s Christmas then.

This time of year I find it hard to snap out of not feeling great. Winter has always been the season I don't like. And Christmas is not something I look forward to as I'm single and no kids and kinda feel like I'm missin out on things.
Know it's nothing I can really sort out but if I could hibernate til March I would!
Homeless charities always need volunteers at this time of year, helping people out when it's needed most is rewarding and as a side effect might give you something to keep your mind occupied.