Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm struggling at the moment as I'm down on my luck. Just been made redundant from my job. I also really like a lady but she has no interest in me except friendship. All my friends are settled with families I'm the only single person in the group. Recently I've been putting negative statuses on Facebook and although people try to help I don't think they really understand. I've come on here as I hope maybe to get some objective advise as non of you know me and will be easier for you not to just make an opinion based on me rather than my symptoms. I've avoided professional help as it takes so long to get to some one and I also would feel uneasy as I have trust issues. In a professional situation they are not going to let you know about them and for me to talk to people I need give and take. I seem to go from being really happy to really sad very quickly. I'm not a danger to myself as I've made promises to people and they are people I would never let down. However sometimes I feel things would be so much simpler if I wasn't here.
Hey lad, thanks for posting. What did you work at? Is it something where you'd manage to land a new position easily or not? Might I suggest that while you are on the job hunt get out and exercise maybe join a walking/running club there are plenty around or join a gym, not only is it great for mental health but you could also meet that someone special!!! Also I'm going to sound like a broken record here as I've said this so many times, is there any way you could get rid of Facebook? Twitter Instagram if you also have those two, social media has been proven to rase anxiety and stress levels I got rid of my social media accounts in the 13th of October 2017 so over a year now and it was one of the best decisions I ever made, I feel so much better now. If you can do those few things I mentioned I gaurentee you'll feel 10 times better within a week. Also I do think you should start the process of finding a professional to talk to, the thoughts of going and talking to a stranger about private matters are alot worse than actually doing it, I'm speaking from experience there.

Hey lad, thanks for posting. What did you work at? Is it something where you'd manage to land a new position easily or not? Might I suggest that while you are on the job hunt get out and exercise maybe join a walking/running club there are plenty around or join a gym, not only is it great for mental health but you could also meet that someone special!!! Also I'm going to sound like a broken record here as I've said this so many times, is there any way you could get rid of Facebook? Twitter Instagram if you also have those two, social media has been proven to rase anxiety and stress levels I got rid of my social media accounts in the 13th of October 2017 so over a year now and it was one of the best decisions I ever made, I feel so much better now. If you can do those few things I mentioned I gaurentee you'll feel 10 times better within a week. Also I do think you should start the process of finding a professional to talk to, the thoughts of going and talking to a stranger about private matters are alot worse than actually doing it, I'm speaking from experience there.

I'd echo this. Social media is a terrible thing in many ways as it gives us that temptation to compare our lives to other people (who of course only share the amazing, beautiful stuff). They can be the worst thing if you're feeling down about yourself. That's one of the nice things about this thread imo as it shows that you're not alone and that plenty of other folk are having a hard time too.

I'd echo this. Social media is a terrible thing in many ways as it gives us that temptation to compare our lives to other people (who of course only share the amazing, beautiful stuff). They can be the worst thing if you're feeling down about yourself. That's one of the nice things about this thread imo as it shows that you're not alone and that plenty of other folk are having a hard time too.

Thanks I seen this thread a while back and have wanted to post but was worried I wouldn't be able to type out how I felt. However seeing other people may their feelings out made me realise support is there if your wanting it. I know I can't deal with anyone professionally as I panic at the thought of it and it stressed me out even more. With regards to Facebook I keep it as there are a lot of people on there I would never give my number to but I like to keep in touch with ex work mates and such like. My job was in a call centre and the only option of staying was to relocate which I was to afraid to do so now I've got to find anything that is possibly suitable. I have a gym membership which I love using as like you say gets me amongst people but I have an illlness that stops me exercising and I'm currently suffering from it. I know that sounds like an excuse but it isn't I've put on over 2 stone in the 3 months I haven't been able to go. My main sadness comes from being in my own though. I thought I had found the perfect lady but she only wants to be friends. Unfortunately at times in trying to help me she gives me modes signals which then make her mad when I get confused. She honestly has a heart of gold and I know she hates being harsh but I sometimes think I would be better off not knowing her. I can't say that as I also can't bear then thought of her not being in my life at all. I seem to be conflicted in everything I do. I hope I don't come across as awkward I'm just genuinely confused.

Thanks I seen this thread a while back and have wanted to post but was worried I wouldn't be able to type out how I felt. However seeing other people may their feelings out made me realise support is there if your wanting it. I know I can't deal with anyone professionally as I panic at the thought of it and it stressed me out even more. With regards to Facebook I keep it as there are a lot of people on there I would never give my number to but I like to keep in touch with ex work mates and such like. My job was in a call centre and the only option of staying was to relocate which I was to afraid to do so now I've got to find anything that is possibly suitable. I have a gym membership which I love using as like you say gets me amongst people but I have an illlness that stops me exercising and I'm currently suffering from it. I know that sounds like an excuse but it isn't I've put on over 2 stone in the 3 months I haven't been able to go. My main sadness comes from being in my own though. I thought I had found the perfect lady but she only wants to be friends. Unfortunately at times in trying to help me she gives me modes signals which then make her mad when I get confused. She honestly has a heart of gold and I know she hates being harsh but I sometimes think I would be better off not knowing her. I can't say that as I also can't bear then thought of her not being in my life at all. I seem to be conflicted in everything I do. I hope I don't come across as awkward I'm just genuinely confused.

Have a look at this forum mate : mentalhealthforum.net

It`s an online community same as on here, where you can anonymously talk about you problems with people in similar situations.

It`s a wonderful site and there will be dozens of people on there who are going through what you`re going through at the moment mate.

No one judges you and you`ll get some great support / advice.

Have a look at it and see what you think ?

Have a look at this forum mate : mentalhealthforum.net

It`s an online community same as on here, where you can anonymously talk about you problems with people in similar situations.

It`s a wonderful site and there will be dozens of people on there who are going through what you`re going through at the moment mate.

No one judges you and you`ll get some great support / advice.

Have a look at it and see what you think ?

I came here to talk cos we all have something in common. I'll have a look as like you say it's anonymous which helps. I talk to my friends but I feel sometimes I'm too needy hence why I'll try the forum you suggest as no one person gets trapped with me.

I'm struggling at the moment as I'm down on my luck. Just been made redundant from my job. I also really like a lady but she has no interest in me except friendship. All my friends are settled with families I'm the only single person in the group. Recently I've been putting negative statuses on Facebook and although people try to help I don't think they really understand. I've come on here as I hope maybe to get some objective advise as non of you know me and will be easier for you not to just make an opinion based on me rather than my symptoms. I've avoided professional help as it takes so long to get to some one and I also would feel uneasy as I have trust issues. In a professional situation they are not going to let you know about them and for me to talk to people I need give and take. I seem to go from being really happy to really sad very quickly. I'm not a danger to myself as I've made promises to people and they are people I would never let down. However sometimes I feel things would be so much simpler if I wasn't here.

Read your post MM and was thinking what to compose in support for you, I scrolled down and there it is from TP, the perfect antidote, I am not on facebook as I see it as an unnecessary evil on so many levels, you speak of promises you've made to people you would never let down so I think we can infer that you have people round you who care about you and who you can trust so that's a good support mechanism especially if you can open up and talk candidly with them.
Tipp has given you great advice and it will give you a good start by putting some of it into practice and see how it goes from there.
Keep us informed mate and good luck.

Hey mate, just been having a read over your thread.

I think you’ve overcome a difficult first hurdle in as much as you’re very aware of the conflicts you have going on. A lot of people get caught up in one extreme or another and find it hard to view their own situation objectively, so good on you for that.

I’m going to be blunt, if I can, and say that binning FB really is key. I did it years back and have honestly never missed it. I get your point re keeping in touch with acquaintances but I honestly believe that’s a fairly flimsy excuse because anyone you REALLY want/need in your life should have your contact info. For a start, you probably spend ages on FB scrolling through rubbish when you could be reading a book or getting a breath of fresh air, etc; also, your negative posts - however genuine a place they all come from - will probably just be ignored by most who love to post about helping others but really just want to perv at bikini pics! Again, you’ve made a really good first step in that regard, in coming to a forum where you can engage people in actual conversation and get more in return than the occasional “u ok hun?”. Once more, the people who really want to help would probably kick your door down if they thought you were in trouble, not just be satisfied with a lazy FB reply.

TL;DR: You’re clearly switched on enough to recognise that something needs to change, so make a simple change that can really help!

Fingers crossed for you with everything mate, and I know there’ll be plenty of advice waiting for you on here if and when you need it.

Hey mate, just been having a read over your thread.

I think you’ve overcome a difficult first hurdle in as much as you’re very aware of the conflicts you have going on. A lot of people get caught up in one extreme or another and find it hard to view their own situation objectively, so good on you for that.

I’m going to be blunt, if I can, and say that binning FB really is key. I did it years back and have honestly never missed it. I get your point re keeping in touch with acquaintances but I honestly believe that’s a fairly flimsy excuse because anyone you REALLY want/need in your life should have your contact info. For a start, you probably spend ages on FB scrolling through rubbish when you could be reading a book or getting a breath of fresh air, etc; also, your negative posts - however genuine a place they all come from - will probably just be ignored by most who love to post about helping others but really just want to perv at bikini pics! Again, you’ve made a really good first step in that regard, in coming to a forum where you can engage people in actual conversation and get more in return than the occasional “u ok hun?”. Once more, the people who really want to help would probably kick your door down if they thought you were in trouble, not just be satisfied with a lazy FB reply.

TL;DR: You’re clearly switched on enough to recognise that something needs to change, so make a simple change that can really help!

Fingers crossed for you with everything mate, and I know there’ll be plenty of advice waiting for you on here if and when you need it.

Thanks I love coming on here cos 1. It's an Everton site and we talk all things Everton and 2. Most the people seem genuine.

I get most of you don't like Facebook but can't get rid however I will reduce my usage and come on here instead and talk about my passion which is Everton. Reading people's kind thoughts has cheered me up as non of you know me and have no need to help but have taken the time to suggest possible ideas. A bit cliched but the people on here are definitely chosen not manufactured.

Thanks again I will let you know how I'm feeling in a while but I'll stop hogging the forum as I feel I've definitely got something out of it. I was really nervous before I posted but glad I did. Anyone reading this feeling like I did get your thoughts on here as others words can help.

Bye for now although I'll still be on commenting on the different threads I'm usually on.

Thanks I love coming on here cos 1. It's an Everton site and we talk all things Everton and 2. Most the people seem genuine.

I get most of you don't like Facebook but can't get rid however I will reduce my usage and come on here instead and talk about my passion which is Everton. Reading people's kind thoughts has cheered me up as non of you know me and have no need to help but have taken the time to suggest possible ideas. A bit cliched but the people on here are definitely chosen not manufactured.

Thanks again I will let you know how I'm feeling in a while but I'll stop hogging the forum as I feel I've definitely got something out of it. I was really nervous before I posted but glad I did. Anyone reading this feeling like I did get your thoughts on here as others words can help.

Bye for now although I'll still be on commenting on the different threads I'm usually on.

Post as often as you need to, mate. These things don’t work to a schedule or wait their turn. Everyone on here would rather you asked for help if you need it than suffer in silence out of some kind of misguided sense of politeness!

Good luck, buddy.

Yeh I’m struggling to lose the weight too