Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Yeh I’m struggling to lose the weight too

Also @messymascot I recommend trying the Nutritarian Food Plan. It doesn't eliminate any food group, so I think it's easier to do. I lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks with no exercise and my food cravings stopped after 2 days of being on it.

You basically eat healthier food 90% of the time and eat dairy, meat, sweets, etc 10% of the time. When I did it, I was doing 80/20 or 70/30 and still lost the weight.

Here is a link. You don't have to buy a book or subscribe to anything. Hope it can help you.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-to-live-blog/90/dr-fuhrmans-nutritarian-pyramid

Also @messymascot I recommend trying the Nutritarian Food Plan. It doesn't eliminate any food group, so I think it's easier to do. I lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks with no exercise and my food cravings stopped after 2 days of being on it.

You basically eat healthier food 90% of the time and eat dairy, meat, sweets, etc 10% of the time. When I did it, I was doing 80/20 or 70/30 and still lost the weight.

Here is a link. You don't have to buy a book or subscribe to anything. Hope it can help you.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-to-live-blog/90/dr-fuhrmans-nutritarian-pyramid
The thing is, I don’t eat any rubbish anyway, I even make my own bread and cook most things from scratch.

Thanks I seen this thread a while back and have wanted to post but was worried I wouldn't be able to type out how I felt. However seeing other people may their feelings out made me realise support is there if your wanting it. I know I can't deal with anyone professionally as I panic at the thought of it and it stressed me out even more. With regards to Facebook I keep it as there are a lot of people on there I would never give my number to but I like to keep in touch with ex work mates and such like. My job was in a call centre and the only option of staying was to relocate which I was to afraid to do so now I've got to find anything that is possibly suitable. I have a gym membership which I love using as like you say gets me amongst people but I have an illlness that stops me exercising and I'm currently suffering from it. I know that sounds like an excuse but it isn't I've put on over 2 stone in the 3 months I haven't been able to go. My main sadness comes from being in my own though. I thought I had found the perfect lady but she only wants to be friends. Unfortunately at times in trying to help me she gives me modes signals which then make her mad when I get confused. She honestly has a heart of gold and I know she hates being harsh but I sometimes think I would be better off not knowing her. I can't say that as I also can't bear then thought of her not being in my life at all. I seem to be conflicted in everything I do. I hope I don't come across as awkward I'm just genuinely confused.
Hi there. I think you’ve had some good advice so far - pursue the professional route (if you can get some CBT/coping mechanism counselling, I’m sure that would help), get back to the exercise if possible and bin the social media. I really benefited from the CBT - it’s something I draw on daily. It doesn’t make your ‘stuff’ go away but it helps identify the triggers and manage the reactions. I don’t fully understand the science with the exercise stuff, but it just works - I go for a good three-mile walk every night without fail, and it just helps, it just DOES! And as for social media, it’s full of people trying to outdo each other in the ‘look how great my life is’ stakes. It’s rarely true, but seeing it in a low mood can really mess with your head. TBH, I do still have a live Facebook account, but I only use it to check out prospective employees nowadays. Reading through the live feed is something I stopped doing a long time ago. Best of luck mate, look after yourself.

Hi there. I think you’ve had some good advice so far - pursue the professional route (if you can get some CBT/coping mechanism counselling, I’m sure that would help), get back to the exercise if possible and bin the social media. I really benefited from the CBT - it’s something I draw on daily. It doesn’t make your ‘stuff’ go away but it helps identify the triggers and manage the reactions. I don’t fully understand the science with the exercise stuff, but it just works - I go for a good three-mile walk every night without fail, and it just helps, it just DOES! And as for social media, it’s full of people trying to outdo each other in the ‘look how great my life is’ stakes. It’s rarely true, but seeing it in a low mood can really mess with your head. TBH, I do still have a live Facebook account, but I only use it to check out prospective employees nowadays. Reading through the live feed is something I stopped doing a long time ago. Best of luck mate, look after yourself.
I'm glad CBT worked for you mate. I'm getting frustrated at the moment waiting for my CBT to start. I'm just desperate for a fresh start and a clean break

Thanks I love coming on here cos 1. It's an Everton site and we talk all things Everton and 2. Most the people seem genuine.

I get most of you don't like Facebook but can't get rid however I will reduce my usage and come on here instead and talk about my passion which is Everton. Reading people's kind thoughts has cheered me up as non of you know me and have no need to help but have taken the time to suggest possible ideas. A bit cliched but the people on here are definitely chosen not manufactured.

Thanks again I will let you know how I'm feeling in a while but I'll stop hogging the forum as I feel I've definitely got something out of it. I was really nervous before I posted but glad I did. Anyone reading this feeling like I did get your thoughts on here as others words can help.

Bye for now although I'll still be on commenting on the different threads I'm usually on.
The thing is this site is moderated for offensive content, so people can disagree with one another all we want but in a respectful way. Facebook and Twitter are full of loons, people lose their jobs, relationships, their freedom, even their lives over social media posts. I'm sick of the mainstream media reporting what some loon says on twitter and portraying is as representative of normal society. Social media has been disastrous for society, it's caused mental health problems and all other sorts of unpleasant issues. Social media just promotes a fantasy world, where everything is either good or awful.

Hi All, I have posted on here a few times over the last year or so relating to family issues and relationship strains etc etc, but yeah had a bit of an episode a few weeks ago which finally prompted me to seek official medical help, I had a bad few weeks which culminated in me screaming at my wife for over an hour and not remembering why afterwards, like an out of body experience, it left me feeling suicidal as I felt my wife and son would be better off without me

so I went to the doctor and was assessed and had full blood works etc done, full thorough evaluation really going into family and everything, now partially diagnosed (as obviously its not an exact science) as manic depressive with bipolar tendencies

ive now been prescribed an indefinite course of sertraline, and been placed under the care of a mental heatlh nurse/councillor

been on the tablets for 2 weeks now, not supposed to see benefits for 4 weeks, but I feel like just starting the process has put me in a more positive space

just thought id post here as I don't have a lot of people I can talk to, and I seem to feel better the more I tell people (feels more real and not something I am hiding anymore (I am Simon and I have mental illness))

the only bad thing is these tablets cause, stomach cramps, the eartha kitts, and insomnia, so its all fun and games until they level out!

Hi All, I have posted on here a few times over the last year or so relating to family issues and relationship strains etc etc, but yeah had a bit of an episode a few weeks ago which finally prompted me to seek official medical help, I had a bad few weeks which culminated in me screaming at my wife for over an hour and not remembering why afterwards, like an out of body experience, it left me feeling suicidal as I felt my wife and son would be better off without me

so I went to the doctor and was assessed and had full blood works etc done, full thorough evaluation really going into family and everything, now partially diagnosed (as obviously its not an exact science) as manic depressive with bipolar tendencies

ive now been prescribed an indefinite course of sertraline, and been placed under the care of a mental heatlh nurse/councillor

been on the tablets for 2 weeks now, not supposed to see benefits for 4 weeks, but I feel like just starting the process has put me in a more positive space

just thought id post here as I don't have a lot of people I can talk to, and I seem to feel better the more I tell people (feels more real and not something I am hiding anymore (I am Simon and I have mental illness))

the only bad thing is these tablets cause, stomach cramps, the eartha kitts, and insomnia, so its all fun and games until they level out!

I find talking helps so your doing the right thing if it helps you. I'm glad they've been able to diagnose you as having a name for it should help. Also you will be able to read up on do's and don'ts. The side effects will pass hopefully fairly quickly then you can get trying to achieve some sort of 'normality'. Remember you can always come on here if you need someone to talk to and the people are top class. I couldn't thank them enough for there words at weekend.

I find talking helps so your doing the right thing if it helps you. I'm glad they've been able to diagnose you as having a name for it should help. Also you will be able to read up on do's and don'ts. The side effects will pass hopefully fairly quickly then you can get trying to achieve some sort of 'normality'. Remember you can always come on here if you need someone to talk to and the people are top class. I couldn't thank them enough for there words at weekend.

indeed my mate, this is the only forum ive ever stuck around on, the 'majority' are top top people

the GOT family!

I came here to talk cos we all have something in common. I'll have a look as like you say it's anonymous which helps. I talk to my friends but I feel sometimes I'm too needy hence why I'll try the forum you suggest as no one person gets trapped with me.

just had a read back over your posts mate, you echo a lot of my feelings, and everyones advice if pretty much what I would have said, only thing I wanted to say mate, don't ever think that people are 'trapped with you' as im sure regardless of negative or positive sides to you, anyone who has someone so sensitive to their and others issues as a friend can only benefit to having you in their life

its a long journey mate, but we will all get there together!

just had a read back over your posts mate, you echo a lot of my feelings, and everyones advice if pretty much what I would have said, only thing I wanted to say mate, don't ever think that people are 'trapped with you' as im sure regardless of negative or positive sides to you, anyone who has someone so sensitive to their and others issues as a friend can only benefit to having you in their life

its a long journey mate, but we will all get there together!

What disappoints me sometimes is I go about things and people don't mention their problems to me. One of the things that makes me tick is helping others and I've found people come to me less as I feel I've trapped them with my problems. Many of the people on here are in a similar boat to me and you. Can see the problem just finding the right solution as one doesn't fit all. I'm taking on board the advice today by going to the gym as it will get me amongst people.

Keep up the good work and in a few months you'll be in a far better place.

Hi mate,

What the tablets should make you do is feel " normal " again.

It can cause a bit of anxiety when it happens, as you become so used to being on your arse or wired, that when they start to work it almost feels that something is wrong due to you having forgotten what feeling " normal " is like.

My advice is to take the tablets religiously at the same time(s) every day, that way it becomes part of your daily routine and you won`t forget to take them. Plus they`ll work as they`re supposed to to due to the correct levels of meds always being in your body.

Once they start working, don`t be tempted to stop taking them, as you`re now " better " and don`t need to take them anymore. ( a lot do this ).

It`s the tablets that are making you feel better, so keep taking them.

They`re not an exact science, so you may need to change your dose ( up / down ) or even change them if they`re not working as they should.

You`re GP should be monitoring this and maintaining regular contact with you ?

Keep up the good work mate, it`s always great to read positive posts like yours. ;)