Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I came across this today. I found it moving. All it takes is to check in with somebody with a few words - it might be enough.

https://tinyurl.com/yaprchmm

To anybody out there who is suffering: please talk to somebody - a family member, a friend, a professional. Or post it on here. Don't keep it inside.

Thank you Groucho for starting this - it's a community that may have saved lives

Been reading some of my old posts from the past few months back. Been in some really dark/confusing places, when I'm feeling okay like I am now it's hard to recognise the person who's written all those upsetting posts.

Will always have my dips I imagine but thanks to threads like this I manage to get through them mostly unscathed. Stephen Fry is spot on when he said you can treat your moods like the weather. Sometimes it's bright and sunny and so enjoy the day, sometimes it's raining buckets and there's nothing to do but wait for it to pass. Tomorrow will always be different.

A friends teenage daughter was in hospital last night, bullying at secondary school drove her to try very very hard to kill herself I was at her bedside trying to be of some help as her mum was on her own. Wife took over when she got back from being away taking the lad to Football when it all kicked off. Kids have it tough these days, some of them are right little bitches. Hopefully she recover and move school. Don’t really want to talk about it anywhere because she wants it kept private but it’s really frustrating that know of someone who is that upset and not being able to help. Don’t really know the kid that well but been round ours a few times. Would do a lot to help if asked or if know what they need. I think people don’t realise that life won’t always be like that and there is a future they can’t conceive of right now that could be amazing. Hopefully she’ll get there. School is just a small part of life with a small group of people that you might never see again.

A friends teenage daughter was in hospital last night, bullying at secondary school drove her to try very very hard to kill herself I was at her bedside trying to be of some help as her mum was on her own. Wife took over when she got back from being away taking the lad to Football when it all kicked off. Kids have it tough these days, some of them are right little bitches. Hopefully she recover and move school. Don’t really want to talk about it anywhere because she wants it kept private but it’s really frustrating that know of someone who is that upset and not being able to help. Don’t really know the kid that well but been round ours a few times. Would do a lot to help if asked or if know what they need. I think people don’t realise that life won’t always be like that and there is a future they can’t conceive of right now that could be amazing. Hopefully she’ll get there. School is just a small part of life with a small group of people that you might never see again.

Hopefully the school will have something in place to provide proper help and support.

Social media has made growing up even more difficult for kids today mate.

Just let them know that you're there if they need you, it'll mean a lot to them.

That's very well put. The research shows that many people with suicidal thoughts just want their current pain to end. They just want it to stop and see no other way out. When I trained as a Mental Health First Aider recently, one question I was trained to ask a person with suicidal thoughts is "Do you want to be dead forever?" which sounds so brutal but can help.

The answer is often "No. I just want it stop" And of course there's no way back once they've gone and done it. Asking that simple question is sometimes enough to make the person pause and re-evaluate.

Life can always get better. It can also get worse of course but is always worth saving. It shames me and all of us that a young person would throw all that potential away... all that creativity, energy and.....just life really.

Just posted this on Twitter too. Hope this helps people and please share in any way possible!

Did you know that if you send a text to 741741 when you are feeling really depressed or suicidal, a crisis counselor will text with you?

Many people don't like talking on the phone & would be more comfortable texting. It's a free (anonymous) service run by The Crisis Text Line!

Just posted this on Twitter too. Hope this helps people and please share in any way possible!

Did you know that if you send a text to 741741 when you are feeling really depressed or suicidal, a crisis counselor will text with you?

Many people don't like talking on the phone & would be more comfortable texting. It's a free (anonymous) service run by The Crisis Text Line!

Excellent info that mate.

Could we bookmark this please mods ?

How do you all feel about this time of year? I really want to enjoy it, but I just can't feel happy around Christmas time anymore. This leads to me feeling awful throughout all of January because I'm wasting memories, which I can't afford to do with having some very old family members.

How do you all feel about this time of year? I really want to enjoy it, but I just can't feel happy around Christmas time anymore. This leads to me feeling awful throughout all of January because I'm wasting memories, which I can't afford to do with having some very old family members.
It's not uncommon for many to feel like this around this time of the year mate, for a whole host of reasons.

I'm not a massive fan myself and I'd rather just skip the whole thing tbh, but grin and bear it for the kids and my inlaws.

Just put a brace face on mate and console yourself with the fact that it'll all be over soon.

Absolutely hate it mate, If it wasn't for the kids I'd make no effort at all. I quite often leave any family events earlier than anyone else and have even come home and spent Christmas night on my own quite a few times, I'll no doubt make my excuses and do the same again this year as well.

Absolutely hate it mate, If it wasn't for the kids I'd make no effort at all. I quite often leave any family events earlier than anyone else and have even come home and spent Christmas night on my own quite a few times, I'll no doubt make my excuses and do the same again this year as well.

I find that quite sad, Bungle. Not that I feel much for the excesses of Christmas, but there should be at least a bit of joy in the small things. Can you identify anything in particular you hate about it?

I find that quite sad, Bungle. Not that I feel much for the excesses of Christmas, but there should be at least a bit of joy in the small things. Can you identify anything in particular you hate about it?

No idea mate, been the same for years and whilst i don't feel great about making my excuses and running I'll still do it. There's no specific event related to Christmas that causes it, I'd just rather be on my own. It used to bother me a lot more than it now does, I think I've come to terms over the years with the fact that actually I just like to be on my own which sounds a bit tragic but that's how it is.