Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

the only worrying thing is, I think she believes her own lies categorically

and in absentia (wahey don't get a chance to use that often) I am unsure how many people believe them too

end up with a brick wall where both sides think they are right

She probably does believe them mate, it's her twisted reality.

If, as you say she's behaved that way for so long, the others will know what's real and what isn't, but are too scared of the consequences of challenging her and just go for the easy way out.

Unfortunately, this just makes her stronger and makes her worse than ever.

Step away mate. You'll feel guilty as sin for a while, but that'll pass.

She probably does believe them mate, it's her twisted reality.

If, as you say she's behaved that way for so long, the others will know what's real and what isn't, but are too scared of the consequences of challenging her and just go for the easy way out.

Unfortunately, this just makes her stronger and makes her worse than ever.

Step away mate. You'll feel guilty as sin for a while, but that'll pass.

that's it lad, the easy way out, but they will always be stuck living in fear of her, I do think eventually I will be happy with my decision, just getting to that point isn't it

as a very wise group of men once said......"its one of them isn't it mate" haha

thanks for the chat today mate, don't think you realise how much its helped! your a diamond

Has anyone tried these Kalms tablets? Some type of natural lavender extract or something.

I suffer with slight anxiety, so been thinking about giving these a try but I don't want to dive into something I may rely on.

Plus, they have been plastered all over posters etc so I'm unsure...

I would recommend CBD oil. Quite expensive but I found it helpful. There's alot of brands out there so it is confusing deciding which one to buy. I got the one from Holland & Barret. £20 for a little bottle but worth it in my opinion.

that's it lad, the easy way out, but they will always be stuck living in fear of her, I do think eventually I will be happy with my decision, just getting to that point isn't it

as a very wise group of men once said......"its one of them isn't it mate" haha

thanks for the chat today mate, don't think you realise how much its helped! your a diamond

A problem shared and all that mate ;)

I realised a long time ago that there's no such thing as a normal family lol

I would recommend CBD oil. Quite expensive but I found it helpful. There's alot of brands out there so it is confusing deciding which one to buy. I got the one from Holland & Barret. £20 for a little bottle but worth it in my opinion.

I've been thinking of giving these a go, having tried all of the herbal stuff and found that they work to a certain extent, but you just end up having to take loads in the end to get the same effect, as your body gets used to it.

Do you take them at night or day time / both.

What do they do ?

The only one I'm still taking, is magnesium citrate tablets as recommended by @chicoazul , they deffo help me sleep.

I've been thinking of giving these a go, having tried all of the herbal stuff and found that they work to a certain extent, but you just end up having to take loads in the end to get the same effect, as your body gets used to it.

What do they do ?

The only one I'm still taking, is magnesium citrate tablets as recommended by @chicoazul , they deffo help me sleep.

i got one online like a vape pen, tasted like what i remember smoking weed to taste like but i wasnt high, just felt very chilled and calm

What do they do ?

The one that I use is in liquid form so you put a few drops on your tongue. I would have about 4 drops 3 times a day. When I was suffering really badly with anxiety it used to take the edge off. The biggest issue was the cost. I struggled to make a £20 bottle last 2 weeks.

I empathise with everyone dealing with the fallout from family/estrangement issues.

It is often something I have thought abut posting on, or more accurately, venting on, here, as it certainly contributes to my anxiety/stress. It is also somewhat of a taboo area though, as there is a large element of shame and embarrassment associated with this.

My family is an absolute mess in this regard, unfortunately.

Not to go into a lot of detail but I have only ever seen my father on a handful of occasions, and of 3 siblings, I am estranged from two, an older brother and older sister. Brother for 5 years and sister about half that time. No contact at all, well almost none.

I think in general terms and having read quite a bit about it, a lot of sibling estangement is seemingly the replay of unresolved issues from childhood. I also remember listening to a documentary about estrangement on R4 where one lady spoke of being completely cut-off by her son for no apparent reason. She made the point that his father had also vanished abruptly many years previously and that as she saw it, estrangement is learned behaviour. There is a lot in that too I think.

I have suspicions particularly relating to my brother, as he divorced, remarried, and became a father for the first time all in a very quick timeframe, that his new wife may be maintaining the estrangement to a large degree. I texted him out of the blue a few months ago, asking if he would like to meet up, and got an encouraging reply. But alas, I spent the next few weeks suggesting various times and places we might meet, but he found a reason to reject them all, and the contact just petered out.

It is my mother I feel sorry for as she is in her mid-70s and cut-off from contact with her oldest son and daughter too. It is tragic for her, very hurtful and upsetting seeing birthday and Christmas messages and the like persistently ignored over several years.

Look after yourselves all.

Last edited:
I empathise with everyone dealing with the fallout from family/estrangement issues.

It is often something I have thought abut posting on, or more accurately, venting on, here, as it certainly contributes to my anxiety/stress. It is also somewhat of a taboo area though, as there is a large element of shame and embarrassment associated with this.

My family is an absolute mess in this regard, unfortunately.

Not to go into a lot of detail but I have only ever seen my father on a handful of occasions, and of 3 siblings, I am estranged from two, an older brother and older sister. Brother for 5 years and sister about half that time. No contact at all, well almost none.

I think in general terms and having read quite a bit about it, a lot of sibling estangement is seemingly the replay of unresolved issues from childhood. I also remember listening to a documentary about estrangement on R4 where one lady spoke of being completely cut-off by her son for no apparent reason. She made the point that his father had also vanished abruptly many years previously and that as she saw it, estrangement is learned behaviour. There is a lot in that too I think.

I have suspicions particularly relating to my brother, as he divorced, remarried, and became a father for the first time all in a very quick timeframe, that his new wife may be maintaining the estrangement to a large degree. I texted him out of the blue a few months ago, asking if he would like to meet up, and got an encouraging reply. But alas, I spent the next few weeks suggesting various times and places we might meet, but he found a reason to reject them all, and the contact just petered out.

It is my mother I feel sorry for as she is in her mid-70s and cut-off from contact with her oldest son and daughter too. It is tragic for her, very hurtful and upsetting seeing birthday and Christmas messages and the like persistently ignored over several years.

Look after yourselves all.

That’s rough mate - it’s interesting you mention it’s a learned behaviour; the only people in my family I can think of with these kinds of tendencies are my two cousins (siblings) that are perhaps cagey with their lifestyles and new partners and bother the least with some members of the family. They were moved from the area they lived in as kids as their dad worked away and abandoned them with another woman. So you could be bang on.

Other than this I have no experience in this type of situation and really feel for you! Especially if you’re making the effort to try and arrange things with your brother. Can imagine how painful it is to have to see your mum affected by it aswell!

Sadly it has to go two ways to maintain any relationship and it’s a shame that your efforts aren’t reciprocated. Certainly nothing to feel shame for on your side - you have obviously got the will to create a happier family dynamic and the awareness that things could be improved and how hurt your mum and other members of the family can be by people giving the cold shoulder.

Sure there will be plenty out there who will benefit from you sharing your story too.

That’s rough mate - it’s interesting you mention it’s a learned behaviour; the only people in my family I can think of with these kinds of tendencies are my two cousins (siblings) that are perhaps cagey with their lifestyles and new partners and bother the least with some members of the family. They were moved from the area they lived in as kids as their dad worked away and abandoned them with another woman. So you could be bang on.

Other than this I have no experience in this type of situation and really feel for you! Especially if you’re making the effort to try and arrange things with your brother. Can imagine how painful it is to have to see your mum affected by it aswell!

Sadly it has to go two ways to maintain any relationship and it’s a shame that your efforts aren’t reciprocated. Certainly nothing to feel shame for on your side - you have obviously got the will to create a happier family dynamic and the awareness that things could be improved and how hurt your mum and other members of the family can be by people giving the cold shoulder.

Sure there will be plenty out there who will benefit from you sharing your story too.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

Thanks mate, I've found it at half that price on eBay, so will order some and give it a go ;)

Same brand? I'll have a look at that myself. Haven't bought any for a while as I've been feeling alright. Always good to have a bottle on hand just in case though.
Do be careful with herbal remedies folks.

Some can work, some can mess with your liver.