Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hows everyone today ? I check in every now and then, for some reason I have pretty much been free of depression for 4 years, I put it down to the work environment I have chosen, its dragged me out of it. I am in the car industry, in itself its stressful with targets, commission etc but its going well.
I was recently offered a new job as Sales Manager for a food company but it meant working from home a lot and travelling a lot in my car to visit the reps, (I live on my own) I took 24 hours to think about it but decided to stay where I was, earning less but;

I work in an environment with lots of people, lots of banter, pretty blunt when it needs to be but these people and the laugh we have sometimes keeps me going I think, left alone to do the managers job at home, travelling around I realised wouldnt be good for me. I'm comfortable sitting in evenings on my own when I do.

My point is consider your job and careers, can you make a difference to yourself by moving positions ? choosing your mental health over chasing the bucks ?

Hey dude, just dipping in as another depressed person who hates his job and often asks the same questions. Just to preface I'm very left politically (by American standards lol) so this may come off as much, fair warning. But I totally get the feeling, capitalism can be so alienating/isolating especially when you are doing something that doesn't make you fuffiled/happy.

Just for reference, I get up for work at 6 am 5 days a week and get home around 7 pm, most mornings I get mild panic attacks from the dread of another day in the office. I make good money but due to a lot of bad luck I basically live paycheck to paycheck due to various, blindsiding debts. It's a struggle to trudge through something that sucks so hard while just barely staying afloat, it can feel so demoralizing. Plus once you hit a certain age (I turn 30 in December, ugh) changing fields altogether feels impossible.

I really empathize with you here because I hate my insane commute (over 2 hours combined every day) but toxic coworkers/environment are every bit as draining. Sorry that this really isn't advice but just know I'm here in solidarity on the other side of the Atlantic. Stay strong, I genuinely hope things get better for you. Still better than watching this crap team right?

Hey dude, just dipping in as another depressed person who hates his job and often asks the same questions. Just to preface I'm very left politically (by American standards lol) so this may come off as much, fair warning. But I totally get the feeling, capitalism can be so alienating/isolating especially when you are doing something that doesn't make you fuffiled/happy.

Just for reference, I get up for work at 6 am 5 days a week and get home around 7 pm, most mornings I get mild panic attacks from the dread of another day in the office. I make good money but due to a lot of bad luck I basically live paycheck to paycheck due to various, blindsiding debts. It's a struggle to trudge through something that sucks so hard while just barely staying afloat, it can feel so demoralizing. Plus once you hit a certain age (I turn 30 in December, ugh) changing fields altogether feels impossible.

I really empathize with you here because I hate my insane commute (over 2 hours combined every day) but toxic coworkers/environment are every bit as draining. Sorry that this really isn't advice but just know I'm here in solidarity on the other side of the Atlantic. Stay strong, I genuinely hope things get better for you. Still better than watching this crap team right?

Don't write yourself off just yet.

I know it's not an every day example, but Trump changed careers at 70. And my daughter didn't do her teacher training until she was 49 and she's now the Deputy Head of a Secondary School.

Sinking again, in a terrible mood.

Started off the day feeling very optimistic that it would be a good one, instead it's turned out to be absolutely rubbish. Nothing seems to go the way I want it too, fed up of it now and fed up telling myself "be patient". Feeling really foul about life.

Sinking again, in a terrible mood.

Started off the day feeling very optimistic that it would be a good one, instead it's turned out to be absolutely rubbish. Nothing seems to go the way I want it too, fed up of it now and fed up telling myself "be patient". Feeling really foul about life.

Hi mate, what's up ?

You were sounded positive last week, bad couple of days in work ?

Spent the last few hours on my own doing some very serious thinking, have a reached a conclusion on what I need to do.

I badly need to go back to counselling, I just don't feel good about myself and need to talk to someone about finding a way to put things into perspective. I only feel contempt for myself, every time I try to do something with life that would make me feel like I'm doing well it seems to all end up just failing miserably or luck doesn't go my way. I analysis my own life and look at it with not much pride at all, I don't feel good about where I am or where I think I'll end up. It's a horrible mindset but I've been stuck in it for too long, I can't just keep doing nothing or I'll sink only even further down into the soil. My mate said to me a few months back.

"You don't love yourself, do you?"

I answered with no and I don't remember a time where it was ever any different really, because I don't feel like there's anything to love. Almost all the time I just wish I was another person in another body with another personality. To be able to just erase the person I am currently and start again as someone new because I effing hate him and wish he'd just disappear. Other people obviously have more serious problems to be dealing with and I realise that, it makes me just hate myself even more for getting upset over things that other people would surely view as tiny.

One thing that might be someone's treasure is someone else's trash, that's how I feel about myself. This is surely not a normal way to feel and it's no way to live.

Spent the last few hours on my own doing some very serious thinking, have a reached a conclusion on what I need to do.

I badly need to go back to counselling, I just don't feel good about myself and need to talk to someone about finding a way to put things into perspective. I only feel contempt for myself, every time I try to do something with life that would make me feel like I'm doing well it seems to all end up just failing miserably or luck doesn't go my way. I analysis my own life and look at it with not much pride at all, I don't feel good about where I am or where I think I'll end up. It's a horrible mindset but I've been stuck in it for too long, I can't just keep doing nothing or I'll sink only even further down into the soil. My mate said to me a few months back.

I answered with no and I don't remember a time where it was ever any different really, because I don't feel like there's anything to love. Almost all the time I just wish I was another person in another body with another personality. To be able to just erase the person I am currently and start again as someone new because I effing hate him and wish he'd just disappear. Other people obviously have more serious problems to be dealing with and I realise that, it makes me just hate myself even more for getting upset over things that other people would surely view as tiny.

One thing that might be someone's treasure is someone else's trash, that's how I feel about myself. This is surely not a normal way to feel and it's no way to live.
You might not love yourself, mate, but I'm sure others do.

Also, look at all the good things you do in this thread for people when they're down on their luck and feeling like you are now.

Try do something to occupy yourself while you're in this frame of mind. Go out and get a new game to play, or something.

Morning mate.

How are you feeling today, hopefully a bit better ?

I'm not telling you what to do, but if I were you, I'd try and make an appt to see your GP and get the ball rolling re some counselling x

counselling helps for some people but it has to be specific to the problem, i used to do MI work for a substance misuse service and for some it works others not so. key is to talk and offload, most have self esteem issues and the important thing can be to address that before anything else. get outdoors, listen to music, go the gym, possibly not watch everton at the moment! it can get better and good luck to anyone struggling. talking on here helps many and it is a great thread to read and see how non judgemental and supportive people can be

Hi mate. Been away for a couple of days with no internet access. How you doing now?

Like others have said, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with your GP, maybe review your meds (If you're on any that is).

I can relate to the problem you mention about getting upset over seemingly little things and hating myself for it. I found through councilling that there was some bigger stuff at the root of the smaller stuff. I'd recommend giving councilling a go.

Cheers everyone, felt a bit better today though still not anywhere close to 100%. So wracked with insecurities that it's wore me down, have started really beating myself up a lot over the state of my life and what I view it as. From the outside looking in most would say I've got loads going for me but I just can't focus on the positives, I keep focusing on the negatives. Got to keep trying to go forward though I guess.

Thanks for the concern everyone. :)