Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Very best wishes to everyone struggling as we start a new year. Last year's gone. Have hope that that better days will come.

When everything's darkness
And you feel so alone,
When the rain doesn't stop
And you can't make it home,
When it feels all is lost
And you just want to run,
It can't rain forever.
Just wait for the sun.

When family is pain,
When friends can't be found,
When you just want to scream
But you can't find the sound,
When it's all your fault,
And you feel like you're done,
Just wait for the sun.
The sunshine will come.

The storm always passes.
It won't last forever.
The rain always stops and gives way to good weather.
The brightest and warmest of days still to come.
Please wait for the sun.
The sunshine will come.

People who need you,
People who still love you
Can warm up your soul like the sunshine above you.
You're never alone,
No matter what's done.
Wait for the sun.
Just wait for the sun.

Dark clouds always pass.
I promise you, hun.
We're all waiting with you.
Just wait for the sun.

Feel numb today, in complete shock. Don’t really know what to do with myself, didn’t sleep last night and don’t feel tired or anything for they matter. One of my best mates took his own life last night/early hours this morning, also happens to be the birthday of another one of our mates who took his own life 6 years ago, so what is already a difficult day has just been made 10x worse.
So sorry to hear this tragic news about your mate. Make sure you keep talking, whether to people close to you or on here.

Very best wishes to everyone struggling as we start a new year. Last year's gone. Have hope that that better days will come.

When everything's darkness
And you feel so alone,
When the rain doesn't stop
And you can't make it home,
When it feels all is lost
And you just want to run,
It can't rain forever.
Just wait for the sun.

When family is pain,
When friends can't be found,
When you just want to scream
But you can't find the sound,
When it's all your fault,
And you feel like you're done,
Just wait for the sun.
The sunshine will come.

The storm always passes.
It won't last forever.
The rain always stops and gives way to good weather.
The brightest and warmest of days still to come.
Please wait for the sun.
The sunshine will come.

People who need you,
People who still love you
Can warm up your soul like the sunshine above you.
You're never alone,
No matter what's done.
Wait for the sun.
Just wait for the sun.

Dark clouds always pass.
I promise you, hun.
We're all waiting with you.
Just wait for the sun.
Lovely post!

Very sad to see on a walkabout around derry so many young people laying out in doorways. With obvious mental health problems and alcohol addiction, saddens the heart.
Donegal, the question arises. Have people mental health problems BECAUSE of the alcohol, conversely, do they drink to COPE with their mental health problems. It's a horrible situation having a duel diagnosis - mental health problem and issues with drink and / or drugs.

The mental health services are very stretched and as a consequence, getting help can mean a lengthy wait, hence people turning to whatever they can to cope with their mental health problems. Said before, we can't judge until we've walked in people's shoes.

My point is all about harm reduction, helping people to use less harmful methods of coping but we are failing. " Sorry, can't help you unless your in crisis " is frankly failing people. We need to be pro active and stop people's mental deteriorating but it's very easy to say, all together more difficult to action.

I agree Donegal it's painful seeing all those poor souls who are at their most vulnerable, lying around with no hope. You can just do your best for them but we are fighting the system. These vulnerable folk have a lot to give, a lot to offer, IF they are given a hand up, and we find a way for them to regain their self esteem..

Terrible insomnia atm, tried all the breathing and relaxation methods and nothing seems to work... Will have to go Dr's, anyone recommend any websites/coping mechanisms i may have missed? The ironic thing is the only thing i worry about at night is getting to sleep lol

I`ve suffered from it for years Neil, it`s horrendous and I now class six hours straight as a good nights sleep.

From personal experience, the best thing that helped me was a sleep mask. It tricks your brain into thinking it`s still pitch black and night time, so you start the waking process later. The only problem is that I now can`t sleep without one and if I`m away with the lads, I get unmerciful stick lol
Ear plugs help too, but aren`t practical of you`ve got young kids !

Other little things I found helped - no caffeine after 5pm - even tea.
Sleep proof your room - turn all your gadgets off, they reckon the electrical signals interfere with sleep.
Good curtains / blinds, so your room is pitch black.
Exercise.
Ale in moderation.
Don`t eat late.

There`s loads of stuff online, as it`s incredibly common.

I`ve suffered from it for years Neil, it`s horrendous and I now class six hours straight as a good nights sleep.

From personal experience, the best thing that helped me was a sleep mask. It tricks your brain into thinking it`s still pitch black and night time, so you start the waking process later. The only problem is that I now can`t sleep without one and if I`m away with the lads, I get unmerciful stick lol
Ear plugs help too, but aren`t practical of you`ve got young kids !

Other little things I found helped - no caffeine after 5pm - even tea.
Sleep proof your room - turn all your gadgets off, they reckon the electrical signals interfere with sleep.
Good curtains / blinds, so your room is pitch black.
Exercise.
Ale in moderation.
Don`t eat late.

There`s loads of stuff online, as it`s incredibly common.
Thanks mate, the main problem is being knackered so not able to exercise

Terrible insomnia atm, tried all the breathing and relaxation methods and nothing seems to work... Will have to go Dr's, anyone recommend any websites/coping mechanisms i may have missed? The ironic thing is the only thing i worry about at night is getting to sleep lol
Neil, excercise, avoid caffeine etc.

Try this link which should be informative. One I ALWAYS follow personally. If I'm not asleep in half hour, I get up.

As I have posted the Christmas/new year period is something I struggle with.
As that ends now something has gone in my back since yesterday and I can just about move. It isn't helping with my head either thats for sure ..
I hate Christmas mate. I'm back at work tomorrow ?. Also off the beer for a bit and try and get my running going again. I've spent most of the last 11 days in bed so I'm certainly refreshed.
Have you spent time with your family?
I went to the doctors with my back afew years a go. But he just said other than strong pain killers and rest there was absolutely nothing he could do. It might be worth a phone call tomorrow though.

I hate Christmas mate. I'm back at work tomorrow ?. Also off the beer for a bit and try and get my running going again. I've spent most of the last 11 days in bed so I'm certainly refreshed.
Have you spent time with your family?
I went to the doctors with my back afew years a go. But he just said other than strong pain killers and rest there was absolutely nothing he could do. It might be worth a phone call tomorrow though.
On the painkillers at the moment. Will see how it is tomorrow. Doctors will be choc a bloc after been closed along .