Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baines is (was) much better defensively. Digne gets skinned too easily. In La Liga he was never up against the pace of the PL wide players, so his defensive deficiencies was never that exposed. Attacking wise I’d just edge it for Baines. Digne is probably more technically gifted, but Baines whipping in those crosses was fantastic.

We have a love affair with foreign left backs.
From Van den Hauwe, Pistone, Valente and now Digne and I’m sure I’ve missed some.
But Baines peak was absolute class.

BTW Would Phelan and Naismith be classed as foreign?

Phelan yes, Naismith no.

Even though Phelan is from Manchester...

Baines at his peak used to control games from left back. He’d be our main attacking threat in open play and set pieces and could beat multiple men like it was nothing from a standing start. Digne is nowhere near this level, good as he is.

Nope, not even close.

Baines was the best in the world for five seasons. Had everything Digne has but so much more as well.

Not to say Digne isn’t boss like, but Baines was out of this world.

Much better. His delivery is on the money and not just whipped into the box as per Baines. And his overall game is head and shoulders above Baines, who was basically a winger who started each half in the LB position.

Hi, guys. I would like some attention please.

Nope.

He's having a good season and he's a good player.

When and if he manages to score two free kicks in the same game with perfectly hit balls into each top corner then maybe we can talk.

Last edited:

Big fan of Digne and very impressed that we managed to replace Baines fairly painlessly, but he's not a patch on him at his best. He'll still do a decent job when called on too.

Status
Not open for further replies.