Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't believe either are/were brilliant defenders. Both excellent going forward and supporting the midfield/attack, with Baines being the more consistent so far with his crosses etc. But both are/were pretty average at actually defending.

Personally, I don't believe either are/were brilliant defenders. Both excellent going forward and supporting the midfield/attack, with Baines being the more consistent so far with his crosses etc. But both are/were pretty average at actually defending.

This sort off. Think they are both better than average at defending but they were both a lot better going forward

Not yet! I think he's getting there though, but it looks like he's not as defensively solid as Baines was. Baines & Coleman under Moyes were quite solid and we didn't give away a lot of goals, but they also had the main attacking threat for a long time. Those two were our best players by far for a long time ! Digne might get there soon. One thing that's hard to compare is that Baines had Pienaar ahead of him for 2-3 years in a great partnership - nothing like that now. I'm sure it helps to get a proper partnership going, and it can't help that Digne has got either Bernard or Iwobi or Richardson ahead of him, and the partnership with the CM on the left is also important - it's been either Gylfi or Delph - all of that wold make a difference

Not yet! I think he's getting there though, but it looks like he's not as defensively solid as Baines was. Baines & Coleman under Moyes were quite solid and we didn't give away a lot of goals, but they also had the main attacking threat for a long time. Those two were our best players by far for a long time ! Digne might get there soon. One thing that's hard to compare is that Baines had Pienaar ahead of him for 2-3 years in a great partnership - nothing like that now. I'm sure it helps to get a proper partnership going, and it can't help that Digne has got either Bernard or Iwobi or Richardson ahead of him, and the partnership with the CM on the left is also important - it's been either Gylfi or Delph - all of that wold make a difference
Baines wasn't too great at stopping crosses from out wide,but rarely got totally skinned close to the bye line like Digne did on Saturday.As stated earlier Hinchcliffe every day for me.

Digne is a fine player and I've been impressed and relieved by the ease with which he's taken up starting 11 duties.

I think Baines is the greatest and he clearly likes me too.

ZhM1m8a.jpg

Baines for the win pending further developments.

Baines has achieved for more for Everton than Digne so far but fingers crossed for Digne in the future. One thing about Digne is he looks far more comfortable playing for France tonight than Bainsey ever did for England, although the opposition is weak it must be said.

Digne is just as good as Baines in my eyes. His crosses are just as good as well, the difference is we have had decent strikers for Baines to hit where as Digne has had DCL. The corners, which seems to be an 'at Goodison' thing have been relatively poor forever, Arteta, Baines, Digne, Siggurdson all dont put them in consistently.

Baines had the benefit of having a wide midfielder in Pienaar, who wanted to go central and just got each other. I'd have no doubt that put DIgne into that team with Pienaar he would have been the part as well. I think Bernard and Digne have created a strong-ish relationship but obviously the injury means they cant' develop that for a while. Helps that Bernard is a pienaar like player with a bit more pace on the ball.

Both class acts, lucky to have both and replace one with the other at the first effort.

Digne is just as good as Baines in my eyes. His crosses are just as good as well, the difference is we have had decent strikers for Baines to hit where as Digne has had DCL. The corners, which seems to be an 'at Goodison' thing have been relatively poor forever, Arteta, Baines, Digne, Siggurdson all dont put them in consistently.

Baines had the benefit of having a wide midfielder in Pienaar, who wanted to go central and just got each other. I'd have no doubt that put DIgne into that team with Pienaar he would have been the part as well. I think Bernard and Digne have created a strong-ish relationship but obviously the injury means they cant' develop that for a while. Helps that Bernard is a pienaar like player with a bit more pace on the ball.

Both class acts, lucky to have both and replace one with the other at the first effort.
Striker. Singular. Baines had Lukaku for a bit, but half his Everton career was spent with the likes of Stracqualursi, Vellios and Anichebe up front. DCL is several levels above any of them.

Striker. Singular. Baines had Lukaku for a bit, but half his Everton career was spent with the likes of Stracqualursi, Vellios and Anichebe up front. DCL is several levels above any of them.

DCL above big Vic? Not sure. Anichebe at least used his presence well, both not great finishers.

You're also forgetting Saha, Yakubu and Jelavic who all had good spells with us. Naismith as well who was very good at getting on the end of things, whether he was a great footballer is another question but his finishing and his 'poacher' like ability was very good.

Give Digne any of those three to aim for in the both whether it would be a cross or a low driven, cut back whatever, I'd fancy his crossing completed % to go up. Point is Baines was in a much more cohesive team and an attack who looked to pounce on things.

While we are improving, Digne does not have the same options in the box to look for. I do think Tosun could provide some options, but then you're asking whether you want to have an ST who is good in the box but pretty poor out of it. Which in a team like us at the moment, is a problem as we need the central striker to be involved in build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.