Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL above big Vic? Not sure. Anichebe at least used his presence well, both not great finishers.

You're also forgetting Saha, Yakubu and Jelavic who all had good spells with us. Naismith as well who was very good at getting on the end of things, whether he was a great footballer is another question but his finishing and his 'poacher' like ability was very good.

Give Digne any of those three to aim for in the both whether it would be a cross or a low driven, cut back whatever, I'd fancy his crossing completed % to go up. Point is Baines was in a much more cohesive team and an attack who looked to pounce on things.

While we are improving, Digne does not have the same options in the box to look for. I do think Tosun could provide some options, but then you're asking whether you want to have an ST who is good in the box but pretty poor out of it. Which in a team like us at the moment, is a problem as we need the central striker to be involved in build up.

There's no serious comparison between Baines and Digne on delivery. A lot of Digne's crossing is excellent, but his consistency is nowhere near Baines. He regularly gets crosses horribly wrong in a way that Baines pretty much never did.

Obviously it's tempting to say that we've got as good/a better left back now because Baines is the past and we knew he would be so hard to replace and it was a bit of a worry for years, but we haven't. And that's fine. We've done brilliantly, getting Digne for £16m, about as well as we possibly could have in the circumstances.

Baines was a top top defender. He was great at set plays and his partnership with peanuts was excellent for a couple of years. His performances had slipped considerably a number of years before digne coming in, I thought he was poor for his last 2 seasons but I'm happy that he is still back up with his experience.

Digne needs to put in a couple of real consistent years for him to be compared to a peak level baines but he has everything to match him.

DCL above big Vic? Not sure. Anichebe at least used his presence well, both not great finishers.

You're also forgetting Saha, Yakubu and Jelavic who all had good spells with us. Naismith as well who was very good at getting on the end of things, whether he was a great footballer is another question but his finishing and his 'poacher' like ability was very good.

Give Digne any of those three to aim for in the both whether it would be a cross or a low driven, cut back whatever, I'd fancy his crossing completed % to go up. Point is Baines was in a much more cohesive team and an attack who looked to pounce on things.

While we are improving, Digne does not have the same options in the box to look for. I do think Tosun could provide some options, but then you're asking whether you want to have an ST who is good in the box but pretty poor out of it. Which in a team like us at the moment, is a problem as we need the central striker to be involved in build up.
DCL needs 4 goals to move past Anichebe in the list of Everton goalscorers. He's already matched Anichebe's best ever goalscoring season twice in the two seasons he's been playing regularly. It's not even close.

I haven't forgotten any of them any more than you've forgotten Tosun, Richarlison, Sigurdsson etc. Richarlison's already scored as many goals as Naismith or Jelavic did for us, and he's better in the air than either of them.

I'm not trying to argue, I don't really care who's better out of the two them, it just made me laugh to think that everyone's so hung up on how bad we are now that they've forgotten McFadden, Magaye Gueye and Stracqualursi used to start games for us.

DCL needs 4 goals to move past Anichebe in the list of Everton goalscorers. He's already matched Anichebe's best ever goalscoring season twice in the two seasons he's been playing regularly. It's not even close.

I haven't forgotten any of them any more than you've forgotten Tosun, Richarlison, Sigurdsson etc. Richarlison's already scored as many goals as Naismith or Jelavic did for us, and he's better in the air than either of them.

I'm not trying to argue, I don't really care who's better out of the two them, it just made me laugh to think that everyone's so hung up on how bad we are now that they've forgotten McFadden, Magaye Gueye and Stracqualursi used to start games for us.

I have literally just mentioned Tosun. Jelavic wasn't here that long but had a good record before being moved out for Lukaku. Siggurdson isn't a striker and can think of a few occasions where he's get onto a cross and headed over without threatening. Richarlison yeah fine (as proven with his header v Wolves). Fair point towards Victor, was always one to help others by taking up 2 cb's but not a goalscorer or a massive threat.

The point ive made though is that we are NOT cohesive at all, where as Baines, had a lot more going on infront of him. Had Digne been put into the cohesive teams that Baines has been in, then Digne would have been excellent as well. Saha, Jelavic, Lukaku have all played in Everton teams that had plenty of movement and a good chemistry and therefore got more goals/more chances. The majority of this teams performance over past 18 months have been absolutely all over the shop. How often do we get in positions where we have one player in the box?

I just think it's incredible how we've managed to replace one with pretty much a carbon copy.

I have literally just mentioned Tosun. Jelavic wasn't here that long but had a good record before being moved out for Lukaku. Siggurdson isn't a striker and can think of a few occasions where he's get onto a cross and headed over without threatening. Richarlison yeah fine (as proven with his header v Wolves). Fair point towards Victor, was always one to help others by taking up 2 cb's but not a goalscorer or a massive threat.

The point ive made though is that we are NOT cohesive at all, where as Baines, had a lot more going on infront of him. Had Digne been put into the cohesive teams that Baines has been in, then Digne would have been excellent as well. Saha, Jelavic, Lukaku have all played in Everton teams that had plenty of movement and a good chemistry.

I just think it's incredible how we've managed to replace one with pretty much a carbon copy.
Yeah again, you don't need to convince me, I'm not arguing. I was just trying to highlight that this team is - on paper - a lot better than a lot of the teams in our recent past, despite our results not necessarily showing it.

Yeah again, you don't need to convince me, I'm not arguing. I was just trying to highlight that this team is - on paper - a lot better than a lot of the teams in our recent past, despite our results not necessarily showing it.

Not arguing its a discussion pal.

absolutely on paper this team should be better than recent teams, just think there is a severe lack of chemistry or cohesion throughout certain areas. Richarlison who so far has been our best outlet in the middle isn't a natural striker. Not just for goals but in terms of being able to position, bring others into play, caught issues. He's improving at it but I do think it hurts us not having a powerful presence or someone who has that craft of holding it, dragging CB's etc.

Not arguing its a discussion pal.

absolutely on paper this team should be better than recent teams, just think there is a severe lack of chemistry or cohesion throughout certain areas. Richarlison who so far has been our best outlet in the middle isn't a natural striker. Not just for goals but in terms of being able to position, bring others into play, caught issues. He's improving at it but I do think it hurts us not having a powerful presence or someone who has that craft of holding it, dragging CB's etc.
No I know you're not being funny, I always say argument on here when I mean two different views. I agree with you 100% in terms of the current side, that's my point. Jelavic wasn't better than Tosun, we just got more out of him for a few months. Naismith wasn't better than Sigurdsson or Iwobi or whoever, but we managed to find a way to make things work. That's what we need to do now.

Baines held most assists for a defender in Europe for multiple seasons, better freekick taker, took loads of Pens and only missed one didn't he.

Very premature to suggest Digne is already better than him, infact it's just plain not true.

Ashley Cole was always that bit better really. An absolute weapon of a person, but a world class left back.
Cole had more pace than Baines, and was a slightly better defender, going forward he was crap, Baines attacking threat was in a different league to Cole, Cole was not a top freekick or Pen taker either like Baines was.

Had Baines been at a top 4 club in his pomp he would have taken a significant number of England caps off Cole.

Cole had more pace than Baines, and was a slightly better defender, going forward he was crap, Baines attacking threat was in a different league to Cole, Cole was not a top freekick or Pen taker either like Baines was.

Had Baines been at a top 4 club in his pomp he would have taken a significant number of England caps off Cole.

Pen taking and free kick taking don't really come under the 'whos the better full back' argument tho when Cole v Baines. Always felt Cole was just that bit better overall as a footballer and had that extra yard. Had Baines been at a United though I'd have no doubt he'd have got more caps just for that reason to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.