Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pen taking and free kick taking don't really come under the 'whos the better full back' argument tho when Cole v Baines. Always felt Cole was just that bit better overall as a footballer and had that extra yard. Had Baines been at a United though I'd have no doubt he'd have got more caps just for that reason to be fair.
Cole could only dream of the assist stats Baines had over his career, that counts bigtime in that position.

What Baines brought to a team as a package was more than what Cole did, there were several seasons where I thought Baines was England's number one leftback and the stats were there to back it up.

No doubts about it, had he been at a top 4 club he'd have taken caps off Cole.

Baines was a fantastic player for us and one of our best in recent history, could have moved to a top 4 club a couple of times but stayed loyal to the fanbase and club.

DCL above big Vic? Not sure. Anichebe at least used his presence well, both not great finishers.

You're also forgetting Saha, Yakubu and Jelavic who all had good spells with us. Naismith as well who was very good at getting on the end of things, whether he was a great footballer is another question but his finishing and his 'poacher' like ability was very good.

Give Digne any of those three to aim for in the both whether it would be a cross or a low driven, cut back whatever, I'd fancy his crossing completed % to go up. Point is Baines was in a much more cohesive team and an attack who looked to pounce on things.

While we are improving, Digne does not have the same options in the box to look for. I do think Tosun could provide some options, but then you're asking whether you want to have an ST who is good in the box but pretty poor out of it. Which in a team like us at the moment, is a problem as we need the central striker to be involved in build up.
Are you suggesting DCL doesn’t use his presence well? I’d argue it’s his best attribute at the moment, especially in the air he’s got the beating of the vast majority of defenders and his hold up play is improving massively

Not defending he wasn't the best left back in the world.And attacking wise there would be a few better going forward.

Possibly, but didn't have a stat for the most chances created or something, in a Moyes team as well! Jordi Alba had the best players in the world in front of him in a team that had 80% possession every game.

Think some are going over the top saying he was the best left back in the world. Marcelo Alba, Cole and Evra etc were much better. Not to mention winning things too. To be regarded the best, you have to win things.

Disservice to say at this stage Lucas better than baines.

baines at his peak was top top quality. Right up there.

Lucas has while to go

Are you suggesting DCL doesn’t use his presence well? I’d argue it’s his best attribute at the moment, especially in the air he’s got the beating of the vast majority of defenders and his hold up play is improving massively

DCL is good at getting on the end of headers, not particularly good at heading it well though.

Defenders dont get particularly troubled by his presence. Victor at least used his bulky build to be a handful, if not technically brilliant in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.