Transfer Rumour Denzel Dumfries

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Wizard the problem i see at the moment is that theres not many young right backs who arent already at top sides.

Barca need money and Emerson has probably been the best RB in La Liga over the last 2 seasons playing for Betis.

Aarons seems overpriced but makes alot of sense with his pace, age and experience so could be a bit of a sexy pairing with him and Godfrey on the right half of our defence.

Theyre the two Id go for before looking at Benitez' supposed 'database' of players...

My guess would be that Dumfries would be a stopgap for 2 seasons if he joins.
Barca may have just bought Emerson back to sell him straight on to help sort out their financial issues but that club is such a basket case there is no way of knowing. He's probably on low wages and they need to sort their wage bill out desperately so he might be someone they want to hold on to. Also €9m over 3 years isn't bad for the balance sheet.

As for Aarons, it definitely seems like money is tight this season and so spending the sort of money Norwich want probably doesn't make sense given we have other positions we need to strengthen too.

As I say, I've not seen much of Dumfries but if it's true we can get him for around £15m it seems like a deal that makes sense to me based on the admittedly little I've seen. Even if he's only a 2 year stop gap we could probably get a reasonable amount of money back for him given he'll only be 27 then.

@Wizard the problem i see at the moment is that theres not many young right backs who arent already at top sides.

Barca need money and Emerson has probably been the best RB in La Liga over the last 2 seasons playing for Betis.

Aarons seems overpriced but makes alot of sense with his pace, age and experience so could be a bit of a sexy pairing with him and Godfrey on the right half of our defence.

Theyre the two Id go for before looking at Benitez' supposed 'database' of players...

Why?

This agenda against Dumfries in favour of Emerson is totally bizarre. We need players with the physical attributes to be a success in this league. Technical ability is secondary for a modern full back. Dumfries is exactly the sort of profile we need to stretch the pitch.

If we want to progress we need better quality players.

This agenda against Dumfries in favour of Emerson is totally bizarre. We need players with the physical attributes to be a success in this league. Technical ability is secondary for a modern full back. Dumfries is exactly the sort of profile we need to stretch the pitch.

Its not an "agenda", its an opinion. From where im sitting it seems to be a logical one.

In my opinion, Emerson has been the best right back in the past 2 years in La Liga...are you advancing the opinion that Dumfries could become the best right back in La Liga?

If so, then where is the interest from other clubs? Could you imagine Dumfries playing for Barca or Madrid?

Genuine questions...

On the point about technical ability being "secondary for a modern full back", this is an interesting discussion point.

What is primary for a modern full back in your opinion?

Emerson, Aarons and Dest are three of the top young right backs in world football...all with similar profiles and skill sets.

Im not sure what they are if not "modern full backs" ?

I’d argue that your full backs are your ball players nowadays. Not necessarily playmakers, but I’d argue they are on the ball more than other positions.

Its not an "agenda", its an opinion. From where im sitting it seems to be a logical one.

In my opinion, Emerson has been the best right back in the past 2 years in La Liga...are you advancing the opinion that Dumfries could become the best right back in La Liga?

If so, then where is the interest from other clubs? Could you imagine Dumfries playing for Barca or Madrid?

Genuine questions...

On the point about technical ability being "secondary for a modern full back", this is an interesting discussion point.

Emerson, Aarons and Dest are three of the top young right backs in world football...all with similar profiles and skill sets.

Not really too worried about La liga. Dumfries looks suited to the PL because he has lots of pace and the ability to go up and down the pitch. Pace and athleticism are the most important abilities for a full back these days. They don't have to be brilliant on the ball because they are not expected to always take the ball in tight spaces or play between the lines. Being able to attack space at pace is a key for a full back. They are usually the players with the most open space in front of them.

Aarons is a good player but I doubt we can afford him. I'm not convinced on either of the other names you mentioned. Dest in particular is very inexperienced and I've not seen much that I'm impressed by, although I have only watched him in a couple of CL matches.

The other positive with Dumfries is that he will be available as a wing back and I have a feeling we might see some 3 at the back.

Not sure, don't follow the guy, all I've seen is a link to a podcast where they talk about him but against no quantitative data for his opinion that we should have 'zero concerns' over Dumfries in a 4.

If he is a scout/analyst then I'd expect more than just 'take my word for it' tweets. Wouldn't you?
Mention a certain Cucu Martina to put him back in his box

Not really too worried about La liga. Dumfries looks suited to the PL because he has lots of pace and the ability to go up and down the pitch. Pace and athleticism are the most important abilities for a full back these days. They don't have to be brilliant on the ball because they are not expected to always take the ball in tight spaces or play between the lines. Being able to attack space at pace is a key for a full back. They are usually the players with the most open space in front of them.

Aarons is a good player but I doubt we can afford him. I'm not convinced on either of the other names you mentioned. Dest in particular is very inexperienced and I've not seen much that I'm impressed by, although I have only watched him in a couple of CL matches.

The other positive with Dumfries is that he will be available as a wing back and I have a feeling we might see some 3 at the back.

I think Trippier is a good player but a bit old for us to replace Coleman with -- hes neither quick or athletic compared with Dumfries...but a better player.

For me, going for a player whose main quality is physicality seems daft when bringing him to a far more physical league.

I also dont understand the point of signing wingers to cross the ball in and then going for a full back who cant cross.

Genuine questions...

…odd that Aarons is one of the top young right backs ‘in the world’, yet he didn’t even make the England squad ahead of Reece James and TAA. He might be quite a way down the list of top RBs in England if you also consider Wan-Bissaka, who is a regular starter for Manchester United.

…odd that Aarons is one of the top young right backs ‘in the world’, yet he didn’t even make the England squad ahead of Reece James and TAA. He might be quite a way down the list of top RBs in England if you also consider Wan-Bissaka, who is a regular starter for Manchester United.

Were going off Southgates opinion?

Would you have taken Godfrey to the euros?

If Aarons was a right back version of Godfrey would you rather have Dumfries?

Aarons will have a higher much profile when he is in the prem. If he joins us or Arsenal it will rise further. He will probably get called up in some capacity this season.

I would hazard a guess that pretty much every professional manager knows more about football than anyone on here.
I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't claim to be more knowledgable than Southgate

…I certainly wouldn’t have Aarons ahead of James, TAA or Wan-Bissaka so I don’t think Southgate is alone in that opinion & I don’t recall a clamour to take Aarons. I think there was 6 RBs in the squad.

I wouldn’t have taken Godfrey to the Euros, even though I backed him to go. I think those pre-tournament friendlies showed up his lack of composure in possession & tendency to take the easy route and pass backwards. I like him lots, though.

Not sure what you mean re Aarons v Godfrey. I think Aarons is currently a superior RB to Godfrey, but I’d prefer Dumfries to Aarons, especially at the price quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.