Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never liked zonal marking, even though theoretically be the best. Break it down, men are in the box moving around, but eyes should actually be on the flight of the Ball, now zonal ‘should’ allow for the zone where the ball is heading to be attacked, but invariably the movement drags players out of their zone and they end up neither man marking nor zonal marking. Another issue is if there is a flick on, where zonal marking becomes useless......I’m sure there are proper experts on here who will demonstrate how zonal marking is the best, but it never seems to work tbh. So I don’t like zonal nor man marking. I’d prefer it if the bleeding centre halves and the keeper just kept their eyes on the ball and attacked it......but I’m from a different age......

Zonal will always be easier to coach at a training session than man-marking as some defenders may simply pick up the wrong man.

I wonder if that's the reason why so many PL manager's seem to defend with zonal marking - it's simply easier to coach/manage.

Getting beat at the near post every time. Happened against Southampton as well. Convinced it’s the crappy system we are running for set pieces

Zonal will always be easier to coach at a training session than man-marking as some defenders may simply pick up the wrong man.

I wonder if that's the reason why so many PL manager's seem to defend with zonal marking - it's simply easier to coach/manage.
It’s just a lazy way to defend set pieces

Watching the goal again, zonal marking isnt the issue, if people have stayed in their zones we pick up the 2nd ball and they dont score, instead 3 people went for the ball and left a massive hole in the middle of the goal.
That is a problem itself, but the front post flick is virtually uncontested every time. We either need to change things up or somebody has to take responsibility and put some pressure on that player.

Reactions: Tak

I wonder if the world cup has had an effect on this? Alot of pens given for holding - zonal means there's less chance to hold your man.

Can be used effectively...but it makes no sense at times if you've got someone who has a run on you...they're usually favourite to win the header

We've let in 5 and they have all been set pieces, something is wrong big time.
Eh? One was a direct freekick, another was a penalty. The second against Wolves was open play.

So we've had two instances of being undone by zonal making on corners. Both cases were easily preventable by a more aggressive player on the front post than Cenk has been. IMO it's the players not his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.