Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weeks showed up zonal marking to a tee.
Our main defenders marking their zones , ball is whipped in front post , drops to a totally unmarked Ings on 6 yds and its an easy goal.

Today was just as bad from not covering Wilson . Then even the 2nd phase we should have a man on each post , and Ake doesnt score.

Get rid of the zonal marking , its far to easy for any team playing against static defenders.

Thoughts on how Silva is setting Everton up to defend set pieces?

Personally, every time we concede a set piece I think we look terrified.

Also thrown a poll in to see what fans would prefer.
We've let in 5 and they have all been set pieces, something is wrong big time.

We are not conceding from playing a high line , its set peices we are struggling with.
They may not have scored from them yet but we are giving opposition an awful lot of chances from playing the high line. Bournemouth had a couple today.

Thoughts on how Silva is setting Everton up to defend set pieces?

Personally, every time we concede a set piece I think we look terrified.

Also thrown a poll in to see what fans would prefer.
This is a fair point, we seem vulnerable on corners. However overall I’d like to see a bit more of the season before properly judging.

It could be the players still adapting to Silva’s system.

When I saw the thread title I thought "that's a good idea, we should defend set pieces, I wonder if the coaches have thought of that". NOw that may sound like a joke, but I remember under Martinez he basically said they didn't bother.

As an aside, I believe Bournemouth lead the league recently in scoring from set pieces, so there was a touch of inevitability about the goals.

They may not have scored from them yet but we are giving opposition an awful lot of chances from playing the high line. Bournemouth had a couple today.
That can be said for any team in any game in the Prem. Our immediate problem is we are conceding goals from set pieces in every game.

When i think of Zonal, i think of Rafael at Liverpool and how they used to have a crack every year, but get caught out by sloppy situations, the key one being his stubborness to Zonal. It doesn't work.

It will never work for me.

I hope he sees this sooner rather than later Marco.

Zonal Marking is a key part of players being able to shift into attacking phases of play. It’ll take a while for these players to adjust and maybe they can’t (I certainly doubt Keane will be able to) but as an actual tactic, zonal marking has a lot of benefits.

Last weeks showed up zonal marking to a tee.
Our main defenders marking their zones , ball is whipped in front post , drops to a totally unmarked Ings on 6 yds and its an easy goal.

Today was just as bad from not covering Wilson . Then even the 2nd phase we should have a man on each post , and Ake doesnt score.

Get rid of the zonal marking , its far to easy for any team playing against static defenders.

I actually don’t think we won one single header (it felt like that anyway) from set - pieces in all our pre - season games using zonal marking as well.

Zonal Marking is a key part of players being able to shift into attacking phases of play. It’ll take a while for these players to adjust and maybe they can’t (I certainly doubt Keane will be able to) but as an actual tactic, zonal marking has a lot of benefits.
This reminds me of what Gary Neville said on Sky earlier this week about Arsenal from his Valencia experience: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...aghers-heated-debate-over-unai-emerys-arsenal

"He has had six weeks to work. Unai Emery has been a coach for 10 years and has been successful. He has his idea and the players have to adapt to him. He has to find out over this first season which players can adapt to him and which players can't. Of course he will lose games. In the first season there will be some pain for Arsenal in this transition they are going through. I think it's dangerous to adapt.

I know this from my biggest learning in Valencia. I set off on a path of what I was going to do and didn't get results. The minute I started to adapt and take people away from my idea and do things different, I threw away the previous three or four weeks of work I'd done.

If he starts to work on one idea of playing out from the back, but then says knock it long, you start to get confusion in players' minds. I saw Sam Allardyce's comments on the radio, but Unai Emery is not trying to get eight points from five games to avoid relegation. He's trying to build a team to win the title. The last thing he should do, in my experience, which was a bad one, is change and adapt because his players will walk all over him."

I suppose the same can be said for Marco and zonal marking. He either sticks with how he wants the team to play and accept there will be a tough transition period or give in and man-mark.

Reactions: Tak

Status
Not open for further replies.