Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think zonal is particularly the problem, just execution. Twice Tosun has been slow to get away from the space in front of the near post and played someone onside for a tap in. Whether they’d have been marked anyway in a man to man system is a question, of course.

A mix makes sense to me. Our best headerers (?) mark their danger men, the others attack space. I think zonal marking gets a slightly unfair reputation, as set piece goals are conceded all the time by teams who mark man to man and the system itself is never blamed, as it invariably is when the other way.

that 2nd goal today from the corner was just stupid,no one on any post,and would for a cert have been cleared [if a player stayed on post],will always be man to man for me,imagine when we play proper teams etc.

Regardless of system, everybody needs to be switched on and doing their job, which just isn’t the case at the moment. Tosun has been sleeping, and everybody seems rooted to the spot when the back is travelling. 3 of their players could have got that loose ball before any of ours today, which is just not good enough.

Allardyce's method of putting every single one of our players in the box when defending set pieces worked.
No it didn't. We were crap at set pieces with him, too. It's the personnel. Keane isn't quick and the rest of the team is crap in the air. Put Mina, Digne in there and we are massively improved. Put Gomes in there instead of Davies, also improved.

I've never seen a consistently solid looking zonal marking system. Even the biggest and best clubs who use it look vulnerable to set pieces due to it more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.