Dear David Moyes...

Papa Shango

Player Valuation: £70m
So how many of his big money (for the time) signings turned out to be absolute gash?
Kroldrup obviously, some would argue Beattie. I know the financial landscape has changed totally, but he didn’t go around trying to bankrupt the club by paying stupid sums of money for bang average players, a strategy which has got us nowhere.

Don’t forget, he was also shafted by Rooney on the eve of the 2005 season. Had Wayne stayed, who knows what he might have achieved?
Bily.

Scored some boss goals but he didn't know what to do with him.

Simon Davies was crap.

Van Der Meyde I suppose.

Black Belt Jones

Player Valuation: £10m
So how many of his big money (for the time) signings turned out to be absolute gash?
Kroldrup obviously, some would argue Beattie. I know the financial landscape has changed totally, but he didn’t go around trying to bankrupt the club by paying stupid sums of money for bang average players, a strategy which has got us nowhere.

Don’t forget, he was also shafted by Rooney on the eve of the 2005 season. Had Wayne stayed, who knows what he might have achieved?
Beattie was awful, actually, but don't think you can criticise the transfer too much - he had banged them in for Southampton (20+ league goals IIRC one season), it was pretty obvious he wasn't really at that elite sort of level and Moyes would have known that, but you would have expected a lot more than what we got.

Put his back into the transfer market did Davie - spent wisely because he had to. Some of the dross we've handed the Royal Blue Jersey to in the interim is just tragic like you say. Martinez being permitted to bring half of Wigan with him, Koeman pursuing Bolassie for serious money. That last one is Mike Bassett level, I've got 30 million to spend, get me Benson and Hedges. Just total bafflement.

Rugby Toffee

Would we really have Moyes back?
Surely that would be a step backwards , Kendall came back and that wasn't a total success was it.
To move forward we need a brave manager , but who will also get time and patience. But that isn't very likely in the current climate.

Billy Dean

Player Valuation: £60m
Hasn't done a good job anywhere since he left us. Some might argue his last 2 years here had dipped too. Busted flush.

Papa Shango

Beattie was awful, actually, but don't think you can criticise the transfer too much - he had banged them in for Southampton (20+ league goals IIRC one season), it was pretty obvious he wasn't really at that elite sort of level and Moyes would have known that, but you would have expected a lot more than what we got.

Put his back into the transfer market did Davie - spent wisely because he had to. Some of the dross we've handed the Royal Blue Jersey to in the interim is just tragic like you say. Martinez being permitted to bring half of Wigan with him, Koeman pursuing Bolassie for serious money. That last one is Mike Bassett level, I've got 30 million to spend, get me Benson and Hedges. Just total bafflement.
Beattie was the worst possible signing for the striker role that we played. Bent came before him and his job was to play up front on his own, chase down defenders and make space for others. I always thought Beattie had talent but he was a lazy oaf who could not perform in that role.

Daveysgingerlovechild

Player Valuation: £20m
lol "Masterclass"

Oh aye, Davey, we all remember your reluctance to play Baines and sticking Lescott in the left back slot, sticking Osman or Arteta wide through not knowing what to do with them, and basically lucking out on formations that the crowd had been calling for for months.

tommye

Good to be back. Ye blerts
Oh aye, Davey, we all remember your reluctance to play Baines and sticking Lescott in the left back slot, sticking Osman or Arteta wide through not knowing what to do with them, and basically lucking out on formations that the crowd had been calling for for months.
Id have the dull ginger man over the spanish charlatan all day every day

Daveysgingerlovechild

Id have the dull ginger man over the spanish charlatan all day every day
Pass pass pass pass pass lose it counter attack goal!

Halcyon days.

Anyway, back on topic, merely pointing out Davey is making it all sound a bit linear, planned and smooth there. It really wasnt!

orly

Make of THAT what you will
At the time, Baines wasn't playing well and Lescott was superb, so it was the right decision. Was also one of Yobo's best seasons too

Daveysgingerlovechild

At the time, Baines wasn't playing well and Lescott was superb, so it was the right decision. Was also one of Yobo's best seasons too
I don't think Baines was given the chance initially. Granted Lescott was doing well. It took an injury (Yobo, I think? Could be wrong) before Lescott was moved inside and Baines given a proper run. Which is all well and good, but ol Davey makes it sound like he had a seamless masterplan. Not quite Mr Moyes, not quite.

Daveysgingerlovechild

Tbf lescott was class at lb and scored 11 goals in a season.
Well, he also played centre back once Baines got given his chance and most of those goals were off set plays. Arguably the goals have little bearing on playing left back. But agreed, overall he did well there, despite bot really wanting to play there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.