David Weir the new Sheffield United manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iirc yes. There was a perception Walter had been allowed to get in decent players at a fair amount of money only to be told relatively soon after that he had to let them go. It became clear to him that whatever his chances of getting us up there challenging there would not be the backing he had enjoyed at Rangers. He then seemed to go very cautious and some of the teams put out were ultra defensive. Made moyes ice look like guardiola at times! He definitely went up in fans estimation when he got stuck into agent Johnson but ultimately his teams were terrible, seemed to favour a small group of trusted old pros, fell out with young up and coming local players and I honestly think we were going down until Moyes' arrival gave us a much needed new manager effect that saved us that season. Two quick wins home to Fulham, away to derby, a bit of positivity and voila!
There was lot of smoke and mirrors over the sale of Ferguson in particular, which triggered the crisis for Johnson. Smith, it was pretty widely commented at the time, was onboard with DFs sale. Apparently DFs old feller confirmed it. What appears to have happened is that Smith cleverly used the crisis over that player's sale (claiming he wasn't consulted) to bring him onside of the faction in the boardroom (including Kenwrihgt) looking to force Johnson out. He's a very political animal Smith. You only have to see that with all the machinations around Old/New Rangers now.

The upshot was from then on he had a revolving door policy at the club and was given a free hand to sell (on an enormous scale) players we had and bring old favourites of his in, and the feller was using his favourite bent agent Dennis Roach to do *cough* business with.

The feller was a wrong un.

Sacked last night. Another young inexperienced manager not really given a chance. TBF recent results have been shocking. Tried to make them play on the ground so never really had a chance at Brammall Lane.

Sorry to hear that about Davie Weir even though he is a "bluenose" of a particular type that I don't like!! :D

He was a great servant to Everton and I am sure he will pick up a manager's job in Scotland to hone his managerial skills.

Best of luck Davie!!

Moyes rated him high enough to take over from him here at this club; surely wor Davie wont turn away Weir now he's available to hire again? That would be pretty hypocritical if he doesn't.

The last 5 months have shown Moyes isn't exactly immune to hypocrisy.

That's just semantics. He became owner and could have drawn a line under the Smith years by letting his contract run out or sacking him; he chose neither. he went with an extension and that was that - mind numbing football and relegation scraps.

Again, semantics. You can choose a word to describe a hit and miss hiring and firing policy if you wish.

My point was simply this: the Smith extension and the serious consideration given to appointing a complete novice like Weir means we've had as much chance of sliding down the snake as climbing the ladder with Kenwright making these decisions.

Dave, what are you chatting mate? I say, well Kenwright deserves credit for making two good managerial appts. You come back with, err, he give Smith a two year extension 14 years ago and interviewed Weir.

I'm all for pointing out Kenwright's shortcomings, but you're acting and sounding like you have a biased agenda here. Now I understand why you want Kenwright out, but his managerial appts. have been good.

Basically, criticism should be given when it's due. In this instance you have no ground for criticism.

Who had the more epic collapse,

Sheffield Wednesday or Sheffield United?

Definitely Sheff Utd. Sheff Wed have bounced between the Championship and League 1 for a few years, and when in the Championship, have always struggled.

Sheff Utd have been trying to get out of League 1 and keep narrowly failing. They finished 5th last season, and missed out in the play off semis. Now they are 24th, rock bottom.

Dave, what are you chatting mate? I say, well Kenwright deserves credit for making two good managerial appts. You come back with, err, he give Smith a two year extension 14 years ago and interviewed Weir.

I'm all for pointing out Kenwright's shortcomings, but you're acting and sounding like you have a biased agenda here. Now I understand why you want Kenwright out, but his managerial appts. have been good.

Basically, criticism should be given when it's due. In this instance you have no ground for criticism.

• I think giving Smith another two years to wreck the club further counts as a stick to beat him with, tbh.

• Moyes - yes, more than acceptable appointment at the time and he proved his worth...if not a success.

• Shortlisting both Stubbs and Weir was a weakness on his part - Moyes wanted it and he should have told him to sling his hook.

• Martinez - early days yet. We cant conclude about this appointment (although it's one I wanted so that's by the by as far as any future criticism goes).

• I think giving Smith another two years to wreck the club further counts as a stick to beat him with, tbh.

• Moyes - yes, more than acceptable appointment at the time and he proved his worth...if not a success.

• Shortlisting both Stubbs and Weir was a weakness on his part - Moyes wanted it and he should have told him to sling his hook.

• Martinez - early days yet. We cant conclude about this appointment (although it's one I wanted so that's by the by as far as any future criticism goes).

hahaha no it isn't. it just isn't. it's a massive strength.
to open interviews with those already-employed is massively, massively important for morale.
i am quite certain that he was NEVER going to actually promote either Weir or Stubbs to first team manager- but it is a very good move on his part to make them feel valued enough to be considered (whatever we might think of their actual characters...)
It's just good man-management on Kenwright's part.

Definitely Sheff Utd. Sheff Wed have bounced between the Championship and League 1 for a few years, and when in the Championship, have always struggled.

Sheff Utd have been trying to get out of League 1 and keep narrowly failing. They finished 5th last season, and missed out in the play off semis. Now they are 24th, rock bottom.

Have either side actually won anything?

I know Wednesday won the League Cup in the 90's

Have either of them ever won the league?

*Ventures to Wikipedia*

Here's Sheffield Unites Honour List

Honours
Division One/Premier League
Champions: 1897–98
Runners-up: 1896–97, 1899–1900

Football League North (Wartime – Joint Division One League with Football League South)
Champions: 1945–46

Division Two/Championship
Champions: 1952–53
Runners-up: 1892–93, 1938–39, 1960–61, 1970–71, 1989–90, 2005–06

Division Three/League One
Runners-up: 1988–89

Division Four/League Two
Champions: 1981–82

FA Cup
Winners: 1899, 1902, 1915, 1925
Runners-up: 1901, 1936

While Wednesday have won

League[edit]Premier League and predecessors (level 1 of the English football league system)
Champions: 1902–03, 1903–04, 1928–29, 1929–30

Football League Championship and predecessors (level 2 of the English football league system)
Champions: 1899-00, 1925–26, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1958–59

Football Alliance
Champions: 1889–90

Cups[edit]F.A. Cup
Champions: 1895–96, 1906–07, 1934–35

League Cup
Champions: 1990–91

F.A. Community Shield (Formerly FA Charity Shield)
Champions: 1935

Minor Honours[edit]Sheffield & Hallamshire F.A. Senior Challenge Cup
Champions: 1876–77, 1877–78, 1880–81, 1882–83, 1886–87, 1887–88, 1894–95, 1899–00, 1901–02, 1902–03, 1906–07, 1920–21, 1921–22, 1953–54
Runners-up: 1891–92, 1892–93, 1897–98, 1904–05, 1905–06, 1913–14, 1942–43

Sheffield & Hallamshire F.A. Senior County Cup
Champions: 1926–27, 1927–28, 1928–29, 1931–32, 1932–34, 1938–39*, 1944–45, 1945–46, 1949–50, 1950–51, 1952–53, 1972–74, 1974–76 (* shared)
Runners-up: 1920–21, 1921–22, 1923–24, 1925–26, 1929–30, 1947–48, 1954–55, 1957–58, 1958–59, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1981–82

Steel City Cup (The 1993 game also doubled up as a testimonial for Derek Dooley).
Champions: 1993, 1995
Runners-up: 1994, 1996

Cromwell Cup
Champions: 1868

Wharncliffe Charity Cup
Champions: 1878–79, 1881–82, 1882–83, 1885–86, 1887–88
Runners-up: 1879–80, 1884–85, 1886–87

Evening Telegraph Challenge Cup
Runners-up: 2005

Reserves & Youth Honours[edit]Central Reserve League
Champions: 1928–29, 1945–46, 1960–61, 1990–91, 2005–06

Central Reserve League Cup
Champions: 2003–04

F.A. Youth Cup
Runners-up: 1990–91

Last edited:
hahaha no it isn't. it just isn't. it's a massive strength.
to open interviews with those already-employed is massively, massively important for morale.
i am quite certain that he was NEVER going to actually promote either Weir or Stubbs to first team manager- but it is a very good move on his part to make them feel valued enough to be considered (whatever we might think of their actual characters...)
It's just good man-management on Kenwright's part.

How is it a strength and good for morale to interview for a job with a top half PL team a feller who had been an assistant coach for 6 months? If I'd been an Everton player and heard that I'd have been having kittens. Players said at the time they were looking for experience.

Sorry, but Kenwright was weak as **** to allow Moyes to bend him over and allow people like Weir to even be given the courtesy of an interview...and Kenwright later admitted he was impressed and came close to appointing him!!

Indefensible.

How is it a strength and good for morale to interview for a job with a top half PL team a feller who had been an assistant coach for 6 months? If I'd been an Everton player and heard that I'd have been having kittens. Players said at the time they were looking for experience.

Sorry, but Kenwright was weak as **** to allow Moyes to bend him over and allow people like Weir to even be given the courtesy of an interview...and Kenwright later admitted he was impressed and came close to appointing him!!

Indefensible.

Oh come along Dave

He probably interviewed loads of people for that job

Status
Not open for further replies.