David Weir the new Sheffield United manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure he said he was very close to appointing one of the internal candidates; Weir apparently.

Let's not forget that Billy Liar's first act as new owner was to extend Walter Smith's contract by another two years.

I don't think anybody could have predicted how woeful smith would become. Considering it was 'sell to survive' as opposed to 'sell to buy' then, walter did okay. As was proved by Moyes, Walter's squad was not as bad as it looked. He just could nay cut it. Even Carsley (at £1.7 million) looked a terrible buy under Smith.

I'm not defending Kenwright, like I say, he's done much wrong, but he can't have been that close to appointing an internal candidate, because he never went down that road.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody could have predicted how woeful smith would become. Considering it was 'sell to survive' as opposed to 'sell to buy' then, walter did okay. As was proved by Moyes, Walter's squad was not as bad as it looked. He just could nay cut it. Even Carsley (at £1.7 million) looked a terrible buy under Smith.

I'm not defending Kenwright, like I say, he's done much wrong, but he can't have been that close to appointing an internal candidate, because he never went down that road.

Smith was a terrible manager and he'd proven himself to be **** well before Kenwright became owner. Kenwright rewarded a rubbish manager.

Two out of three - is that not a chequered performance?

Hate to break this to you dave, but, err, he never (to use your words) 'appointed' (paraphrase) Smith.

And also, 2 out of 3 is not chequered. Chequers are normally 50/50 and symmetrical.

Sorry for him , but that was inevitable , wonder what his compensation package will be ?. Ex players aren't guaranteed success so it often is surprising how many players are given top jobs from the start

Sorry for him , but that was inevitable , wonder what his compensation package will be ?. Ex players aren't guaranteed success so it often is surprising how many players are given top jobs from the start

Yeah, but at the end of the day, that is the gamble, They could be good, but they could be truly hopeless...

i'd say that you could look at Managers like Eddie Howe, whilst he may of been a disaster at Burnley, mainly due to not settling, he's done miracles at Bournemouth, and brought through some great players, and took them from the brink of dropping out of the league, and up to the championship, which is a great feat, unfortunately at the other end of the spectrum you have David Weir, who is probably up there with the worst, he needs to get back to being a coach, learn where he went wrong and have another crack in a year or so, if a team is willing to take a punt on him!

Two out of three - is that not a chequered performance?

Even if you take extending Smith as an Appointment, you could look of it as making one bad one, then learning from that and making two good ones....

Yeah, but at the end of the day, that is the gamble, They could be good, but they could be truly hopeless...

i'd say that you could look at Managers like Eddie Howe, whilst he may of been a disaster at Burnley, mainly due to not settling, he's done miracles at Bournemouth, and brought through some great players, and took them from the brink of dropping out of the league, and up to the championship, which is a great feat, unfortunately at the other end of the spectrum you have David Weir, who is probably up there with the worst, he needs to get back to being a coach, learn where he went wrong and have another crack in a year or so, if a team is willing to take a punt on him!

This. You learn more in failure than success.

Offer him a coaching role before United do.

I hope that's in jest mate. We are Everton Football Club, not a home for failed managers.

As far as first managerial experiences go, this is up there with John Barnes. Weir inherited a decent Sheff Utd squad that finished 5th last season, missing out in the play off semi. He leaves them 22nd, with 1 win from 10 games.

I'm just glad we never gave him the Everton managers' job. Some people are good coaches, but just not cut out to be managers.

Weir looks like one of those at the moment. He's going to struggle to get another managerial job, at least in the near future.

Howe wasn't a disaster at Burnley. They didn't want him to leave; he chose to go back to Bournemouth because he wanted to be close to his family. There was a story on him on the BBC website today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24475451

Status
Not open for further replies.