Darren Bent to replace AJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see Spurs wanting to getting rid of him. However I read an interview that Bent has said he likes fighting for his place on spurs. Plus he makes 95K/week. He'd have to drop his wage demands by almost in 1/2 to come here. This article is crap.
Where do people get this "he makes 95K/week" from - just last week someone said that this is not true it's more like 35K

Last edited:
Bent is far superior to Johnson.

Johnson is a [Poor language removed] footballer when all the huffing and puffing is done.

Johnson is just a workhorse with very poor finishing, ball control or heading ability.

Bent is a far better striker and at 24 and British I can see Moyes investing.

Johnson is a [Poor language removed] footballer when all the huffing and puffing is done.

Johnson is just a workhorse with very poor finishing, ball control or heading ability.

I'd have Bent before Johnson purely on his goal scoring record (and age), But to say that Johnson is a [Poor language removed] footballer is way out of line.(n)

I'd have Bent before Johnson purely on his goal scoring record (and age), But to say that Johnson is a [Poor language removed] footballer is way out of line.(n)

Ok. What talents as a footballer does he have?

Before you answer, my dog runs around a lot and is very quick and hard working.

Behave yourself.

The very poor finishing tag applied to Johnson is a complete myth. People brand it about with Johnson constantly and its bollocks. See the Brann game. One was probably the best finish from an Everton player last season.

Behave yourself.

The very poor finishing tag applied to Johnson is a complete myth. People brand it about with Johnson constantly and its bollocks. See the Brann game. One was probably the best finish from an Everton player last season.

I agree, for actual finish there was only Arteta vs Fiorentina that comes close to that scorcher by Johnson against Brann.

for all round build up play and goal Osman vs Larissa will win every time though.

Behave yourself.

One finish in an entire season doesnt mean he is a good finisher.

If he was a good finisher you would be able to name plenty of decent goals he scored from left foot right foot from his head etc but Johnson is Championship through and through.

How many times did he have a crack throughout the season for the ball just to bobble off his foot and trickle along the ground?

It says it all that you can highlight one goal against [Poor language removed] opposition as justification to keep a very average player. And you wonder why we arent challenging for honours when people are happy with Johnson because he works hard.

I don't think we can judge his all round finishing ability on one game against an average Norweigen side. It was an excellent finish and a great goal but his finishing is usually hit and miss.

His shots to goals ratio are poor. He made 29 appearenses last season and scored 6 goals from 44 shots. 24 shots hit the target and 20 missed the target. He has a shooting accuracy of 55% and for someone who rarely shoots outside the box that is poor.

I don't think its a myth at all that his finishing is hit and miss.

If he was a good finisher you would be able to name plenty of decent goals he scored from left foot right foot from his head etc but Johnson is Championship through and through.

lol

Dont be daft mate, I could name a hell of a lot more, as you well know. But I have better things to do with myself than analyse Johnsons career for you, highlighting every good finish.

The Brann was just an example. Oh, and there was more than one 'finish' in that game. ;)

And off the top of my head, I recall a fantastic header from Johnson against Liverpool in his Palace days, which was vital when we finished 4th. Also the header against them for us...

He isn't as poor finisher as people make him out to be, its a myth and it really does my head in. His goalscoring record proves he can finish a chance.

Our fans have desperately short memories.

How many times did he have a crack throughout the season for the ball just to bobble off his foot and trickle along the ground?

It says it all that you can highlight one goal against [Poor language removed] opposition as justification to keep a very average player. And you wonder why we arent challenging for honours when people are happy with Johnson because he works hard.

To be honest, I think AJ has taken a knock in confidence obviously sitting on a bench whilst your competition is slotting away chance after chance isn't going to help.

Then there was the whole "AJ is a cheat" thing the other premiership managers were coming out with. It seems since then he's been really careful about how he plays his game. He no longer gets into positions where he can be accused of diving and as such its effecting his game.

Hopefully, if he's still with us next season Moyes can knock this confidence thing on it's head and give AJ the belief that he is still very much a important member of the squad. I firmly believe when AJ is confident he's a cracking player.

I don't think we can judge his all round finishing ability on one game against an average Norweigen side. It was an excellent finish and a great goal but his finishing is usually hit and miss.

His shots to goals ratio are poor. He made 29 appearenses last season and scored 6 goals from 44 shots. 24 shots hit the target and 20 missed the target. He has a shooting accuracy of 55% and for someone who rarely shoots outside the box that is poor.

Again, I think the Brann game people are thinking the bullet at the end. I was on about the finish from the tight angle. No matter who that was against, it was a fantastic finish which would have went in against anyone.

And statistics? Dont make me dig them statistics up from his debut season for us again where he pisses all over Yak ;)lol

C'mon lads, get a grip. Sure, he wasn't at his best all of last season, injuries and a new striking set up didn't help, he needed time to adjust with Yak. If will be criminal if we let him go this summer.

HB is that you?......lol

Bit harsh that like, an on your 3rd post aswell.

Bet you was'nt saying that after 6months an he was the leading english striker in the league. Agree'd he's not top calss or anything but to call him [Poor language removed]...(n)

So what are Bent's statistics, TB? We need a comparison if you want to demonstrate which player is more clinical.

I do quite like Bent, and AJ, but I'm not sure I would rate either as a super striker.

Spurs were insane to pay £15m for Bent. And the fact that Keane gets the nod ahead of him tells me that he's not the next big thing. I personally think he's similar to Heskey (and I do like Heskey - a much underrated striker, in my opinion).

To be honest, I personally would take Anelka over any striker in our price range.

Lets put this rumour to bed.

Everton deny Darren Bent move
Jun 23 2008 David Prentice

EVERTON have ruled out a move for Spurs striker Darren Bent.

Sources at Goodison dismissed today’s reports as "rubbish", as fevered and widespread speculation surrounded the Blues.

Some weekend reports claimed boss David Moyes would sign a five-year deal this week and be handed a £25m transfer pot, while others suggested he would be handed no fresh funds until a decision on the new stadium is made.

The truth lies somewhere inbetween, but the new stadium plans are certainly integral to Everton’s immediate future financial planning.

The Blues are unlikely to commit themselves to any major spending until their new stadium plans are given the green light by the government.

A decision is expected by July 3, but if the plans are called in by the government for public scrutiny the entire ground-move scheme would be threatened and Everton’s immediate spending plans affected.

David Moyes is currently away on holiday so will not be signing his new Everton contract this week.

And names like Bent, Andrei Arshavin and Twente’s Dutch international midfielder Orlando Engelaar arriving at Goodison appear unlikely until the club’s stadium future is clearer.

Nuff said!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.