Transfer Rumour Danny Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welbeck on his day is decent, he's played for Utd & Arsenal on a regular basis (when fit), but he's never been a nr 1 striker at either team as far as i can recall, often played out wide, we are looking for a nr 1 striker to play down the middle, and one who isn't injury prone. Welbeck seems to have been unlucky with injuries, i don't think its worth the risk. It doesn't fit in with the ethos Everton have made clear they are looking for, so i can't see this happening for us. I'd suggest he will float down the league before retiring around 32, hopefully we will swerve him, £100k a week on an injury prone striker is too much of a risk. Having him and DCL as our main strikers wont give us much in the way of the required goals to try and make a go if getting into the top 6, as far as i can see anyway

I'm prepared for his arrival anyway

n-WICKER-MAN-FILM-628x314.jpg

Would you be happy paying him over a 100K for 20 appearances a season though?

I wouldn't look at it that singularly, i would accept that signing any striker is going to be your highest wage out put, that is the market. If the existing squad in that position stays the same, then back up strikers are Tosun, Niasse and Sandro costing north of 200k a week, i would be surprised if they have managed 20 appearances this season between the three of them (Havent checked like), two spent the entire season and half of it not at the club, therefore from a wage/impact/contribution point of view its a no brainer. Its the cocktail that has me so open minded about this. Our back up striker situation is an absolute joke on every front i mention.

If as i hope, we loose two of those and hope against hope we get a fee, then its a simple redistribution of wages, likely a small profit. So to answer your question simply, yes.

To present another slant on it and this seems to be a sticking point, the wage. Its the same concept as the Sandro deal that we were happy with and thought great business a couple of years ago. Equally Bernard who is on a high wage, we've just done it with Losel as well. If you didnt have a problem with that deal or Beranrds/Losel, i dont see the problem now really, it comes down to your opinionon theplayer rather then the deal. There can be gold in deals of this nature, i dont see the beef really and i would be a strong advocate on bringing the wage bill down.

Last edited:

I wouldn't look at it that singularly, i would accept that signing any striker is going to be your highest wage out put, that is the market. If the existing squad in that position stays the same, then back up strikers are Tosun, Niasse and Sandro costing north of 200k a week, i would be surprised if they have managed 20 appearances this season between the three of them (Havent checked like).

If as i hope, we loose two of those and hope against hope we get a fee, then its a simple redistribution of wages, likely a small profit. So to put it simply, yes. To present another slant on it, this seems to be a sticking point, the wage. Its the same concept as the Sandro deal that we were happy with and thought great business a couple of years ago. Equally Bernard who is on a high wage. if you didnt have a problem with that deal or Beranrds, there can be gold in deals of this nature, i dont see the beef really and i would be a strong advocate on bringing the wage bill down.
The Bernard deal is very different imo. He’s 25 and we could easily sell fur decent money a couple of years down the line. If he hasn’t adjusted to the prem. I read somewhere we had given him a 40mil buy out clause. Probably rubbish like.

We wouldn’t get any money for welbeck in a couple of years. And there is a good chance he would have played very few games fir us. Throw in a big signing on fee and at least a 3yr deal on big wages. It’s to big a risk for me and I will be amazed if Brands actually wants him.

Also I can’t see us going with 3 out & out strikers. And if we all can see how just adding a class striker to this team, with Gomes & Zouma. We would be definitely pushing the top 6 next season. Then Brands & Silva will know it to

I wouldn't look at it that singularly, i would accept that signing any striker is going to be your highest wage out put, that is the market. If the existing squad in that position stays the same, then back up strikers are Tosun, Niasse and Sandro costing north of 200k a week, i would be surprised if they have managed 20 appearances this season between the three of them (Havent checked like), two spent the entire season and half of it not at the club, therefore from a wage/impact/contribution point of view its a no brainer. Its the cocktail that has me so open minded about this. Our back up striker situation is an absolute joke on every front i mention.

If as i hope, we loose two of those and hope against hope we get a fee, then its a simple redistribution of wages, likely a small profit. So to answer your question simply, yes.

To present another slant on it and this seems to be a sticking point, the wage. Its the same concept as the Sandro deal that we were happy with and thought great business a couple of years ago. Equally Bernard who is on a high wage. if you didnt have a problem with that deal or Beranrds, there can be gold in deals of this nature, i dont see the beef really and i would be a strong advocate on bringing the wage bill down.

But that's the key isn't it? Sandro has shown us that it in fact wasn't a good deal. We've had our fingers burned already, so why stick them right into the furnace again?

Also Bernard was a different situation because he was being signed to be our regular winger, so of course he'd get a bigger wage because he's going to play more. Welbeck would be coming in as a back up. There's also the possibility of him getting in the way of someone like DCL, who is on far less, is much younger and has way more of an upside. If he's on a bigger wage then he'll likely get picked over DCL a lot just to justify the contract, whether he deserves to or not

I'd much rather us persist with DCL, a new first choice striker and a back up whose on less of a wedge

Let's not forget that Welbeck has had a lot of injury issues. If we sign him to 100K a week deal for 3 years and he spends most of it on the trainers table then we're going to be looking at a river of wasted funds. Moshiri might as well throw millions of pounds in an oil drum and burn it in the center circle whilst cackling maniacally

But that's the key isn't it? Sandro has shown us that it in fact wasn't a good deal. We've had our fingers burned already, so why stick them right into the furnace again?

Also Bernard was a different situation because he was being signed to be our regular winger, so of course he'd get a bigger wage because he's going to play more. Welbeck would be coming in as a back up. There's also the possibility of him getting in the way of someone like DCL, who is on far less, is much younger and has way more of an upside. If he's on a bigger wage then he'll likely get picked over DCL a lot just to justify the contract, whether he deserves to or not

I'd much rather us persist with DCL, a new first choice striker and a back up whose on less of a wedge

Let's not forget that Welbeck has had a lot of injury issues. If we sign him to 100K a week deal for 3 years and he spends most of it on the trainers table then we're going to be looking at a river of wasted funds. Moshiri might as well throw millions of pounds in an oil drum and burn it in the center circle whilst cackling maniacally

Essentially its as i said mate, it comes down to whether you rate the player or not, i would expect varying opinion on that.

I was answering the financial question you posed, so i do think it makes sense financially.

I do think its a market we are looking at within our resources, i guess if it happens its a question of trusting Brands/Silva Vs Walsh/Koeman on the assessment of the player and in squad building.

Im open minded about the move myself and can see the fiscal and practical logic as i explained, particularly if it leads to funds being redirected.

Status
Not open for further replies.