2022/23 Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he spoke in his interview on sky I thought suggested he was staying. I think anything we get over 2mill for holgate helps with ffp so would be happy if we replace Holgate with a better player for minimal outlay. If we can get Keanes Lego head and astronomical wages off the books even better.

If he’s available for under £5m we could do worse than signing him and shifting Keane and Holgate on.
+ Godfrey

Get them three out for, say, £15m and splash £5m of it on Codes, get Branthwaite back in the fold and use the remaining £10m or add a little to it to bring in the next Yerry Mina from South America.

If 4.5m is true it will be silly not to sign him.

Name me another defender with the same quality at 4.5m

That’s my thoughts exactly.

Wolves seem to be moving him on regardless, so would be a smart piece of business if he’s willing to stay.

It's a definite yes from me ...we have two central defenders who are prob better....one is leaving. Who we gonna get for £4.5m as an upgrade ?
Even if Branthwaite comes back and smashes it, I'd still like CC there to be honest.

Most new signings don't work out. That's football. Most clubs sign players just to stand still or fall back. Imagine we don't sign Coady. Chances are a new CB won't be the answer with what we have to spend. If Branthwaite & a new CB both fail then we are relegated. 100% done & dusted relegated. For 4.5m we are signing the CB equivalent of Vinagre or Maupay & history shows us our club are very capable of making a signing like that. The chances of us finding an unknown cheap gem is slim to none too.

Coady is a £4.5m known quantity that is just about good enough. He's not exciting or pushing us forward but cheaply solves an issue for now & gives Branthwaite time to resettle & find himself & learn. I get the arguments for not signing him & also giving a 30 year old a 4 year contract makes a few wince but i see him as an insurance policy. It's not a great policy mind but if Branthwaite doesn't work out or needs another season to develop then a whole season of Tarks & Coady with the correct signings in other positions like LB & Striker isn't going to send us down. Sign him up.

Absolutely have to take him if the purchase price is 4.5m. You are buying him to be a squad player, to come in when your starter gets injured, and I dont know where you find a better price right now. Basically we should be getting another top CB this transfer window(or be convinced Branthwaite is it), so Coady will just be replacing Holgate/Keane as the fill-in. Worth his weight in gold if I dont have to see Holgate again. Build your squad players for cheap so you can spend on your starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.