Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people are perhaps underestimating the gravity of the situation here. We might be in a position were even starting the 20-21 season is unrealistic.

The official figures regarding the virus pertaining to infection and fatalities is very probably two weeks out of date. And what I mean by that is, the official number doesn't represent the actual numbers on the ground. Which is unsettling because we may be looking at numbers from over 14 days ago. With that and the reported viruses ability to still infect even after treatment could cause problems. Determining just when and how we can return to some sense of normality is up in the air at the moment and anybody's guess.

But it’s not tho is it? it’s not fair on other clubs as it stands now

Not fair in what way? I think we have to realise that the premier league do not care about the clubs in the middle right now; which is sadly where we find ourselves. They’ll want a champion, they’ll want European places sorted and the issue of relegation resolved. And they’ll want all of this sorted so as to avoid very expensive lawsuits and complications.

Don’t agree with any of this myself which is why I said the measures in the article reek of trying to keep everyone happy.

Yes. I'm a massive Liverpool supporter who has been a regular on an Everton site for 4 years+.

Does that make my opinion invalid mate?

Of course it makes your opinion invalid...what a stupid question.

Now where the hell is that ignore button...4 years ffs

But if City are happy to concede LFC have won it then they'll be given it thats the point really.

Pep conceeded weeks ago the title race was done. They'll only not be awarded it if enough clubs disprove which wont be the case including us I would imagine.

Its not really up to Pep though. And it's not all about Liverpool. League winners is 1 issue, European qualification, relegation places, promotion places, even individual league placings for prize money, there could be monumental financial swings for multiple teams across each division in the country. And as far as completing games, logistics of rearranging hundreds of games as already stated is huge. Policing, stewarding, travel for fans etc, on potentially hundreds of fixtures is crazy.

Somebody mentioned contracts and loans earlier. So for instance, if the season rolls in to July, it could have knock on effects on pesonel across all top European leagues, with Loans ending, contracts expiring etc, and while some instances it might be simply a case of renewing on a short term basis, there would be players who would be entirely in their right to refuse to do that. You end up in bosman territory, impinging on freedom of movement. We could end up with an influx of players returning we don't want, and furthermore, cannot play as they are not registered, and be forced to pay additional wages that could send us over FFP limits.

It could be an absolute legal sh*tshow beyond the simple "But we were winning, it's not fair" argument.

Are Leeds and West Brom guaranteed 1st and 2nd in the Championship? If not what right do they have to be promoted.

That’s the issue isn’t it. On the one hand they can make the argument that all teams have played 37 games and as it stands they are the top two. On the other hand you have a completely certifiable fact that the season is not complete and ergo anything could happen in the remaining fixtures which would see them drop out the promotion slots.

Just a total minefield really isn’t it.

Its not really up to Pep though. And it's not all about Liverpool. League winners is 1 issue, European qualification, relegation places, promotion places, even individual league placings for prize money, there could be monumental financial swings for multiple teams across each division in the country. And as far as completing games, logistics of rearranging hundreds of games as already stated is huge. Policing, stewarding, travel for fans etc, on potentially hundreds of fixtures is crazy.

Somebody mentioned contracts and loans earlier. So for instance, if the season rolls in to July, it could have knock on effects on pesonel across all top European leagues, with Loans ending, contracts expiring etc, and while some instances it might be simply a case of renewing on a short term basis, there would be players who would be entirely in their right to refuse to do that. You end up in bosman territory, impinging on freedom of movement. We could end up with an influx of players returning we don't want, and furthermore, cannot play as they are not registered, and be forced to pay additional wages that could send us over FFP limits.

It could be an absolute legal sh*tshow beyond the simple "But we were winning, it's not fair" argument.

No winners
No relegations
No promotions
EL and CL teams are whoever qualified 18/19 season.
Prize money divided equally between all 20 teams.

That’s the issue isn’t it. On the one hand they can make the argument that all teams have played 37 games and as it stands they are the top two. On the other hand you have a completely certifiable fact that the season is not complete and ergo anything could happen in the remaining fixtures which would see them drop out the promotion slots.

Yeh to me they’d have no leg to stand on arguing their point there.

It’s like smashing the first 50m of a 100m race, stopping and then telling someone you’ve won the gold.

Precisely. Liverpool hadn't lost a game in 18 months and looked untouchable, but have lost 3 of the last 4 games. You can't use previous form to determine future results when it comes to multimillion pound financial swings. It would be totally unfair.

Will our next game now be Leicester at home and the postponed fixtures will have to be fit in somewhere else, or will Liverpool be it and everything is pushed back?

This is problematic as this only works if the teams promoted/relegated equal the number of teams relegated/promoted in the corresponding league. And in the event of multiple teams, they would then have to mathematically be assured of a league placing beyond relegation to provide true fairness. For instance, 2 teams are mathematically relegated but could still finish anywhere in bottom 3,while 1 team in league below is mathematically promoted. Which team would swap?

Only fair way if Incomplete is to void and start again.

You would hope there would be a law to clear up these conditions in events such as these in the League rules, but the lack of clarity suggests that's not the case.

The problem with this is both Leeds and West Brom (and anyone else chasing promotion) could turn around and say they’ve played 37 games, undertaken a gruelling campaign, spent a lot of money etc and are going to get nothing from it. Meanwhile Norwich have had 29 games, reaped a load of TV money despite being abject and will basically get a free pass to stay in the top flight next year meaning they get even more money and a season in the lucrative top flight which frankly they don’t deserve. Honestly that doesn’t seem fair and to me and I think the leagues feel the same way- hence why there’s talk of having a 22 team premier league season. We’re not talking about postponing/cancelling leagues after a handful of games; the seasons are all less then ten games away from finishing which I think is making a difference in everyone’s thinking.

But I guess really what it boils down to is that a global pandemic doesn’t really care about what’s fair. Just have to do the sensible thing.

The problem with this is both Leeds and West Brom (and anyone else chasing promotion) could turn around and say they’ve played 37 games, undertaken a gruelling campaign, spent a lot of money etc and are going to get nothing from it. Meanwhile Norwich have had 29 games, reaped a load of TV money despite being abject and will basically get a free pass to stay in the top flight next year meaning they get even more money and a season in the lucrative top flight which frankly they don’t deserve. Honestly that doesn’t seem fair and to me and I think the leagues feel the same way- hence why there’s talk of having a 22 team premier league season. We’re not talking about postponing/cancelling leagues after a handful of games; the seasons are all less then ten games away from finishing which I think is making a difference in everyone’s thinking.

But I guess really what it boils down to is that a global pandemic doesn’t really care about what’s fair. Just have to do the sensible thing.

Yeh to me it’s just if they do go to 22 who are the top two. Fulham have as much right as a Leeds at present to come up. Maybe an 8 team sort of play off with 2 winners going up when they can play matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.