Can We Improve On Last Seasons Points Total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year the top 7 got more points than the top 7 normally get because the bottom 13 couldn't lay a hand to them. Ths year all 7 have struggled, early days but maybe the gap has closed a bit.

So yeah, I don't think we'll match our points total. We might well match our table position, though, which is more important.
Like dating in Wallesey, it's all relatives.

So I wondered compared to our results last year to this, what do we need to get an improved points total. (I have replaced Leicester for Nowrich, Fulham for Burnley & Cardiff for QPR. I will try and update this every week to see how many more/less points we have compared to fixtures last season.

Game 1: Leicester (H) 2-2 Last Season: 2-2. Points Difference 0
Game 2: Arsenal (H) 2-2 Last Season: 3-0. Points Difference -2
Game 3: Chelsea (H) 3-6 Last Season: 1-0. Points Difference -5
Game 4: WBA (A) 2-0 Last Season :1-1. Points Difference -3
Game 5: Palace (H) 2-3 Last Season 2-3. Points Difference -3
Game 6: Liverpool (A) 1-1 Last Season 0-4. Points Difference -2

So even after a not so good start by our standards we are only 2 points off out total from last year, with games like Palace at home the real wasted opportunity to be in the + from last year.
With fixtures to come as

Game 7: Man Utd (A) Last Season 1-0 Points 3
Game 8: Villa (H) Last Season 2-1 Points 3
Game 9: Burnley (A) Last Season 3-1 Points 3
Game 10: Swansea (H) Last Season 3-2 Points 3
Game 11: Sunderland (A) Last Season 1-0 Points 3
Game 12: West Ham (H) Last Season 1-0 Points 3

From our next 6 fixtures we got maximum points last year which will be very difficult to replicate especially with one being at Old Trafford, so again I see the Palace home defeat as a massive opportunity missed. And after 12 games we could quite easily be 6/9 points behind our total from last season.
Is Raino short for Rain Man lid?

I hope so because I can't see it myself.

Hit me.

we wont get anywere near it, without mirallas and barkley we will struggle really badly to create anything. were very poor this season

The league is a lot stronger this year. Chelsea at the top seem to be top draw, but them aside, a lot of the mid table teams seem to be much better this year. The likes of Swansea, Villa, West Ham and Southampton are going to keep the top 10 much tighter and i dont think anyone apart form Chelsea will be running way with a large number of points

The league is a lot stronger this year. Chelsea at the top seem to be top draw, but them aside, a lot of the mid table teams seem to be much better this year. The likes of Swansea, Villa, West Ham and Southampton are going to keep the top 10 much tighter and i dont think anyone apart form Chelsea will be running way with a large number of points

I'd say it's the opposite tbf.

All of the top sides including Everton are playing a level below what they we're last season meaning the bottom clubs are picking up more points.

Still early day's though, all can change

If we improve and avoid conceding over 25 more goals we should be improving considering the scoring and attacking work so far...

We had an iffy patch xmas into new year. If we are to get close to last year, then this needs to be our iffy patch, and we need top 4 form from here on in.

I can't see it happening

...always feel the league starts to take shape after 10 games, so its hard to see us getting the same points. In a way it might just be the season we should've had last time around. Regardless, I reckon we will finish in or around a Europa League spot.

I am still waiting for to launch this year, Jagielka's screamer felt like that moment tbh. I certainly think we're capable of hitting 72 pts +. I think we'll get results against some of the big boys away again and hopefully sort it out against bottom half teams after that Palace debacle. Difficult but at the least I expect we'll be in and around that top four again this season.

Probably not but I think 4th is up for grabs. Not on current form but the other 4th place hopefulls are not looking good either.

I think with the exception of City and Chelsea, the points for places 3rd - 6th will be lower this season. I think 70 points will get you in the top 4. Arsenal are probably still on track but United, Spurs, Liverpool and ourselves have already dropped a lot of points already. We've had by far the toughest fixtures so far though and one of our key players in Barkley hasn't played yet. We need to avoid defeat next week at Old Trafford and then go on a winning streak.

All of this is spot on, can't add to it really. 3rd and 4th are up for grabs. Also the relegation totals will be higher probably, as the league gets more even.

The most we can get now is 102 points. So we can only drop 30.
One way for that to happen would be 6 defeats and 6 draws.

That'd mean the rest of our season would look like this:

P32 W20 D6 L6

Can't see that happening to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.