2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I’m not bashing Kenwright Danny. Bar the limits of finance over the years, I’ve no beef with Bill, he never pretended to be something different from what he was, despite mistakes he always had our interests at heart whether you agreed with them or not. He was stable custodian in my opinion and history will be kind to him.

Doesn’t change my belief I still think he Has a significant influence at the club, in the roles he occupies, even if Moshiri is playing the flute we are dancing to overall.

I suppose my point he is he is more then an honors role, I still thinks he wields quite an influence on broad and day to day running at Everton.

Both Brands and Silva have acknowledged Bills help with transfers,and I think for his experience in this area alone, he is currently useful.

Last edited:
Some of the rewriting of our recent history in here is laughable.

If, and it was always a big if, Bill had have stepped aside and let Paul Gregg have the Kings Dock, because lets not allow for mistakes or confusion here, Paul Gregg wouldve owned that stadium, not Everton FC, we would probably be where Coventry or Bolton are now.

But yenno, lets not let the truth get in the way eh.

Crack on lads
But isn't what you just stated a complete re-write of history ?
This.

Watching these play offs, Villa, Albion, Leeds and Derby. Norwich and Sheffield Unitted coming up, 6 decent size clubs floating around the championship, without Bill taking over when he did we would be down there as well.
His brief was to keep us solid in the top flight, which he did, nice one Bill.
Deary me

This is a good assessment.

I am amazed he's stayed on board. As people have intimated any blame now has to go to Moshiri rather than Kenwright. Moshiri has kept him on.

I think Moshiri would want a guy who knows football inside out, particularly English football on the board. I also wonder if Kenwrights health improving may have shifted the thinking on this.

There appears to be a belief emanating from the Kenwrght camp that all they lacked was money. That they ran the club well (who can forget the rubbish about best run club in England) but we needed a backer. While I disagree with it, there may be slightly more sense to it than we initially thought, and possibly Moshiri feels Kenwright running the ship gives him a degree of security that was missing? I'd also say, after the turbulence of the first 2 years, more caution will set in.

What I'd also suggest is that Bill likely convinced Kenwright to be the sort of investor he wants. IE someone who will pump money in, but allow Bill to maintain a greater degree of control. That's sort of what you have now. I also wouldn't under estimate how the appointments of both Allardyce and Koeman went in the psyche of Moshiri. I think he's realised the football game is a lot harder than he may have first thought.

I'd always prefer top class people running the club. However if there is significant investment in the background (for example Usmanov) and they feel Brands has control over the recruitment side of things there may be a view that Kenwright can ensure the ship moves steadily forward. Not particularly quickly but at least steadily.

As I've said, I don't know. If it's me I'd rather get Evertonians such as Terry Leahy or Gilroy in positions of influence. I'd go and get the best. I'd even consider David Gill. It doesn't look like the way he wants to go about it though.

Intelligent stuff as usual from you. I'm glad youre coming round to the fact that during Bills tenure money was a major problem(see my post about 'the financial balancing act') I think Moshiri realised he need input from Bill after the Koeman disaster...Sam was by nature of a 'needs must' appointment and in that respect it was successful....it restored discipline in the squad, there was at least a system for the players to play,albeit not a pretty one. Silva was Moshiris appointment with input from Brands, who was involved a long time before he signed,and there may have been comment from Bill,which could have been over ruled, because Mosh was always keen on Silva. Funnily enough my wife was secretary to Professor Cary Cooper(google him) at UMIST when Terry Leahy was doing his degree....I wrote to Mr. Leahy about possible involvement in Everton and got a curt negative response from his secretary 'Mr Leahy does not and will not have any interest in involvement in Everton Football Club.' I suppose he goes to the game though, when he can.;)

I've always thought your posts were transparent, showing your naïve agenda against everything Everton. You reckon a contract means something in the world of football transfers do you?:)
What are you implying, Steve?

Also, Kenwright isn’t Everton and he never will be. He’s the least successful chairman in the club’s history. Can you argue that?

They mean something in the world of law, Steve. We sold a player for half is valuation after winning Young Player of the Tournament at Euro 2004. Incredible, but not unsurprising, given that fool is chairman.

Seems like you support Kenwright more than you do the club.

Intelligent stuff as usual from you. I'm glad youre coming round to the fact that during Bills tenure money was a major problem(see my post about 'the financial balancing act') I think Moshiri realised he need input from Bill after the Koeman disaster...Sam was by nature of a 'needs must' appointment and in that respect it was successful....it restored discipline in the squad, there was at least a system for the players to play,albeit not a pretty one. Silva was Moshiris appointment with input from Brands, who was involved a long time before he signed,and there may have been comment from Bill,which could have been over ruled, because Mosh was always keen on Silva. Funnily enough my wife was secretary to Professor Cary Cooper(google him) at UMIST when Terry Leahy was doing his degree....I wrote to Mr. Leahy about possible involvement in Everton and got a curt negative response from his secretary 'Mr Leahy does not and will not have any interest in involvement in Everton Football Club.' I suppose he goes to the game though, when he can.;)
I've spoken to Terry Leahy about Everton, and his kids are also match going blues.

What are you implying, Steve?

Also, Kenwright isn’t Everton and he never will be. He’s the least successful chairman in the club’s history. Can you argue that?

They mean something in the world of law, Steve. We sold a player for half is valuation after winning Young Player of the Tournament at Euro 2004. Incredible, but not unsurprising, given that fool is chairman.

Seems like you support Kenwright more than you do the club.

You continue to sling your naivety over the forum like mud. Keep talking nonsense . Football contracts are very rarely worth the paper they're written on. That's why football transfer windows are so active. 'Oh dear...we can't buy him, he's got a contract' Are you for real ? The majority of players we and every other club are 'interested' in are under contract to their current clubs. That's why buy out clauses have come into fashion.

I've spoken to Terry Leahy about Everton, and his kids are also match going blues.

Ask him if he still feels he doesn't want to invest, or get involved. When I asked him it was when looking for investors was the dish of the day.

I'm sure you know every possible version of the story Cameron....I tend to think that even that early on Phil Green was involved and a few others. I've said many times on here that when Bill found himself as the only possible successor to Johnson, he had very little knowledge of how football worked as a business,and so he applied the same system as he had applied to successfully putting on theatre shows, he looked around for what in the theatre business are known as 'angels'...people who invest in upcoming shows and take a return if its successful. It was Bills job to sell the idea of a show to prospective angels. Phil Green was one investor, Gregg actually or Mrs Gregg was another. There would be others. Bill sold them the idea of Everton as if it were another of his shows, and put some of what little(comparatively) money he had himself,raising a portion by remortgaging his property. The problem that Bill had for most of his tenure was that football isn't the same as a musical show, and his 'angels' became impatient for a return. So Bill was always doing a balancing act with Everton finances, meaning that we struggled to compete in the transfer market. But at least we stayed in the Prem,and made Europe a couple of times. I think that in a roundabout way Green put a considerable amount into Everton,and you might ask about the 'roundabout way' This is just a theory I have, based on the few facts that are in the public domain. I think that greens money went into Bill Kenwright Productions or Bills other company, and found its way from there to Bill and then to Everton. Hence there was no direct money link to Green. There was another major investor,and I was told in confidence by a very reliable source who it was,but I'm not going to make it public. Money would be loaned to Bill,giving him some fluidity in his financial balancing act with Everton. Things have been said about the Green connection,some of it mischievious,but I think my theory is pretty close to what happened. We all know of course that subsequently Earl came on board and Earl was a different sort...Bill had sold him the idea of retail possibilities around Destination Kirby and when DK didn't happen Earl wanted out. Bill can do this...he can generate enthusiasm in people based on nothing concrete...again its his showbiz background coming out. Bill was always actively looking to sell the club, but wanted to make sure he got the right buyer. Because selling the club to a good owner would be his legacy, and the financial balancing act was running out of steam in the multi billion football world of football anyway. There is a whole catalogue of clubs with disasterous owners, or owners in out of their depth. I think Bill has achieved his main ambition...getting a potentially great owner for Everton,and I hope he stays around ,if only to annoy the mischief makers,and I hope he stays around to see us win a trophy,and that's more possible than its been for a long time. COYB.
Steve, Bill can generate enthusiasm in people based on nothing concrete, Steve, I met him once, never produced an inch of enthusiasm in me, true to browbeat me after I asked him a simple question( politely) about whether Everton were going to sign anyone in that particular transfer window, came across as a very arrogant man, maybe I caught him in a bad mood that particular day.

Both Brands and Silva have acknowledged Bills help with transfers,and I think for his experience in this area alone, he is currently useful.

I think that would be the political line mate, locally I heard that Brands has to intervene at a point last season and bench Bill due to lack of progressing deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.