2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another twisted tale. A young Rooney was persuaded by the rogue agent Stretford and others(Alan Stubbs?) to go to United. Also, we could do with the money(which was actually spent well). The 'stalking horse' bid from Newcastle was a set up by Stretford to draw a bid from United. Once Rooney had decided to go there was little that could be done about it. Stretfords office was in St James Park.
Bill Kenwright said Rooney wouldn’t be sold for less than £50m.

The problem is Steve (and call it what we want) they are in consecutive champions league finals while we are under achieving.

We had a similar mentality under John Moores. Carey sacked for finishing 6th in a taxi. Lacking class? Definitely. However we'd all swap what we have now for the approach we had then.

Yep....supporters like to see their team win things. I know you don't mean Silva should be sacked for finishing 8th? Realism has to take over sometimes....we were hurt by the European ban,and once Sir John had gone, we were in a lower league financially. The one thing about Sir John that I found disappointing was that he didn't set up a trust for Everton in the way that the guy at Blackburn did...the coming of Sky changed everything and we were not financially able to keep up. A bit like playing poker with a lot less stake money than the other players. We oldies have got to be aware that the 'game' has changed and these days, you need a billionaire , not a millionaire any more. Millionaires are pretty useless in the modern football business. The lot across the park finally got owners who will invest,but they are part of a massive sports conglomerate and don't seem like a 'proper club' any more...if they ever did. Don't forget that their previous owners got them into virtual administration/liquidation and the RS was sold at a liquidators rate. The current owners will sell as soon as things start to go wrong. Meanwhile we haver never been relegated(only once a long time ago) and we are gradually getting better, and have a new ground to look forward to. And yet some 'supporters' continue to peddle malicious misinformation,twisted tales, against an indivualal who has given half a lifetime to the club he loves. Bill has made mistakes and is far from perfect,and he's probably aware of the abuse he gets, but realises that it comes with the territory if your a football chairman whose club has passionate supporters.

...before Stretford moved in and Rooney WANTED TO GO. Bills quote was an attempt to put people off. But when a player wants to leave.....
It was another lie Bill told. Rooney had a contract, there was nothing he could do if we decided he was staying. We got just over half of that £50m valuation on a drip. Pathetic.

And if it wasn’t enough losing him back then, Bill decides to bring him back on the biggest wage in the club’s history. A wage that we’re still paying because it was such a disastrous decision, we had to ship him off to the MLS.

The man is a cancer to the club. He needs to go.

Yes. But the sale of Duncan was down to the Chairman(Johnson?) The problem was it was behind everybodys back, including the manager...and JOhnson didn't need board approval to make the sale, which was for financial reasons, of course. This act signalled the beginning of the end for Johnson, but no one wanted to buy the club, until Bill scraped the money together and did a deal. To blame BK for everything that has gone wrong over thirty years is yet another 'twisted tale'.
Steve, maybe you can tell us exactly how Kenwright “ scraped the money together and did the deal, I haven’t heard the story of how he did this.

Watching these play offs, Villa, Albion, Leeds and Derby. Norwich and Sheffield Unitted coming up, 6 decent size clubs floating around the championship, without Bill taking over when he did we would be down there as well.
His brief was to keep us solid in the top flight, which he did, nice one Bill.

Watching these play offs, Villa, Albion, Leeds and Derby. Norwich and Sheffield Unitted coming up, 6 decent size clubs floating around the championship, without Bill taking over when he did we would be down there as well.
His brief was to keep us solid in the top flight, which he did, nice one Bill.

What?

Seriously?

Only Villa is comparable to us. Tell you what kept Everton solid? David Moyes.

Thank him not that charlatan.

It's on Moshiri gents.

If Kenwright has any significant influence, the level of which is on Moshiri.

No matter how frustrated we are by Everton going backwards vs rivals in the past 3 years - we can't keep blaming Kenwright.

Oh I’m not bashing Kenwright Danny. Bar the limits of finance over the years, I’ve no beef with Bill, he never pretended to be something different from what he was, despite mistakes he always had our interests at heart whether you agreed with them or not. He was stable custodian in my opinion and history will be kind to him.

Doesn’t change my belief I still think he Has a significant influence at the club, in the roles he occupies, even if Moshiri is playing the flute we are dancing to overall.

I suppose my point he is he is more then an honors role, I still thinks he wields quite an influence on broad and day to day running at Everton.

What?

Seriously?

Only Villa is comparable to us. Tell you what kept Everton solid? David Moyes.

Thank him not that charlatan.
Moyes and Bill were a partnership that steered the club through rocky waters.
Before Bill we were fighting relegation, getting into debt. Under him we challenged for Europe and slowly turned the finances around.
There's a reason only 6 teams have been ever present in the Premier League.

Moyes and Bill were a partnership that steered the club through rocky waters.
Before Bill we were fighting relegation, getting into debt. Under him we challenged for Europe and slowly turned the finances around.
There's a reason only 6 teams have been ever present in the Premier League.

Mainly due to some luck and David Moyes.

Bill Kenwright has a lot to answer for.

Steve, maybe you can tell us exactly how Kenwright “ scraped the money together and did the deal, I haven’t heard the story of how he did this.

I'm sure you know every possible version of the story Cameron....I tend to think that even that early on Phil Green was involved and a few others. I've said many times on here that when Bill found himself as the only possible successor to Johnson, he had very little knowledge of how football worked as a business,and so he applied the same system as he had applied to successfully putting on theatre shows, he looked around for what in the theatre business are known as 'angels'...people who invest in upcoming shows and take a return if its successful. It was Bills job to sell the idea of a show to prospective angels. Phil Green was one investor, Gregg actually or Mrs Gregg was another. There would be others. Bill sold them the idea of Everton as if it were another of his shows, and put some of what little(comparatively) money he had himself,raising a portion by remortgaging his property. The problem that Bill had for most of his tenure was that football isn't the same as a musical show, and his 'angels' became impatient for a return. So Bill was always doing a balancing act with Everton finances, meaning that we struggled to compete in the transfer market. But at least we stayed in the Prem,and made Europe a couple of times. I think that in a roundabout way Green put a considerable amount into Everton,and you might ask about the 'roundabout way' This is just a theory I have, based on the few facts that are in the public domain. I think that greens money went into Bill Kenwright Productions or Bills other company, and found its way from there to Bill and then to Everton. Hence there was no direct money link to Green. There was another major investor,and I was told in confidence by a very reliable source who it was,but I'm not going to make it public. Money would be loaned to Bill,giving him some fluidity in his financial balancing act with Everton. Things have been said about the Green connection,some of it mischievious,but I think my theory is pretty close to what happened. We all know of course that subsequently Earl came on board and Earl was a different sort...Bill had sold him the idea of retail possibilities around Destination Kirby and when DK didn't happen Earl wanted out. Bill can do this...he can generate enthusiasm in people based on nothing concrete...again its his showbiz background coming out. Bill was always actively looking to sell the club, but wanted to make sure he got the right buyer. Because selling the club to a good owner would be his legacy, and the financial balancing act was running out of steam in the multi billion football world of football anyway. There is a whole catalogue of clubs with disasterous owners, or owners in out of their depth. I think Bill has achieved his main ambition...getting a potentially great owner for Everton,and I hope he stays around ,if only to annoy the mischief makers,and I hope he stays around to see us win a trophy,and that's more possible than its been for a long time. COYB.

It was another lie Bill told. Rooney had a contract, there was nothing he could do if we decided he was staying. We got just over half of that £50m valuation on a drip. Pathetic.

And if it wasn’t enough losing him back then, Bill decides to bring him back on the biggest wage in the club’s history. A wage that we’re still paying because it was such a disastrous decision, we had to ship him off to the MLS.

The man is a cancer to the club. He needs to go.

I've always thought your posts were transparent, showing your naïve agenda against everything Everton. You reckon a contract means something in the world of football transfers do you?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.