2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on Moshiri gents.

If Kenwright has any significant influence, the level of which is on Moshiri.

No matter how frustrated we are by Everton going backwards vs rivals in the past 3 years - we can't keep blaming Kenwright.

In the same way I don't like Thatcher, I don't like Kenwright. The damage was done a long time ago but the effects are still seen today.

It's all down to the fact when I was born in 1990, we were one of the big clubs in England. Now we are a footnote. I can't just shrug my shoulders and say this happened by chance.

So maybe, the last three years aren't Kenwright's fault but I firmly believe he is the reason we have so much ground to make up. So much ground that it's difficult for me to envisage ever being the club we used to be before he started meddling in Everton.

Remember this is the man who nearly sold us to some fella in a bedsit.

Just lets pick this up as one example of 'twisted tales'. It was BK who discovered that someone in a bedsit in Manchester had put his name forward to buy Everton. And naturally it was rejected out of hand. It wasn't the case that he 'nearly sold Everton to a guy in a bedsit'. Get your facts straight, and stop your imaginings. The are lots of things that Bill has done that can't escape criticism. But mis selling Everton is not one of them.

It's a culture thing with Kenwright. He created a culture where there is no pressure whatsoever to succeed. He has overseen the most prolonged unsuccessful period in our history. He sees top half and a cup last 16 as a more than good enough season.

That's why we need him removed.

Say what you want about Liverpool fans (and I often do) but he would have been hounded out decades ago. Us on the other hand, we give him a clap. Difference in mentality.

We finished 17th in 03/04 and Bill thought it was a good idea to sell our best player in the summer.

Another twisted tale. A young Rooney was persuaded by the rogue agent Stretford and others(Alan Stubbs?) to go to United. Also, we could do with the money(which was actually spent well). The 'stalking horse' bid from Newcastle was a set up by Stretford to draw a bid from United. Once Rooney had decided to go there was little that could be done about it. Stretfords office was in St James Park.

Wasn’t Bill on the board when we sold Dunc and we had those relegation near misses? (Genuine question btw)

Yes. But the sale of Duncan was down to the Chairman(Johnson?) The problem was it was behind everybodys back, including the manager...and JOhnson didn't need board approval to make the sale, which was for financial reasons, of course. This act signalled the beginning of the end for Johnson, but no one wanted to buy the club, until Bill scraped the money together and did a deal. To blame BK for everything that has gone wrong over thirty years is yet another 'twisted tale'.

I'm just surprised, very, that Kenwright is still Chairman and particularly so since Moshiri acquired the additional shares.

I could understand a transitional period of a year or two whilst Moshiri properly acquainted himself with the club but in almost every scenario, people want to make their own appointments eventually. If nothing else it is a show of control and authority, but more fundamentally, its a signal that things are under new management.

Clearly Kenwright still has influence beyond that which his track record at this club should bring to bear. It isn't a personal thing, I have never met or spoken to the man but as custodian of the club he did not have the ability to arrest our decline, such that it became managed decline and a gradual reset of ambition and expectation to match a mid-table outfit that we are today.

He has singularly failed to provide direction and leadership. You can't be in football as long as he has without acquiring a reputation as a good and experienced negotiator but there are others at the club that can perform those functions now. In the critical areas - financing, commercial, stadium, we have been found wanting and are so far behind it is both sobering and frightening to anyone who dreams of seeing us compete.

We then have the appointment of a new CEO which was a glorious opportunity for Moshiri to usher in a new era but the job goes to DBB, firmly from the Kenwright gene pool. We needed a football business leader, there was all of Europe and beyond from which to search and make the best appointment but it goes in-house - again. Why? The further announcement of the senior management team, as well as being full of bombast and pomp, also saw a return of familiar faces and others predominantly recruited from the North-West. Why so? We are certainly not a global club but should we not be global in outlook at least?

Ultimately the running of the club is Moshiri's responsibility however at the very least I think the experience to date has been one of confusion and under-achievement relative to resources. In part, that is due to a struggle at the club between the old and the new, perhaps that is becoming a thing of the past but if Moshiri had free rein to appoint a Chairman and CEO, I cannot accept that he would settle for Kenwright and DBB. The latter is a Kenwright appointee, as is Keith Harris. It tells me that Moshiri is for some strange reason, not as immersed in the day to day running of the club as he should be. That's what staff are for, of course, but the issue is they are not his.

Yes. But the sale of Duncan was down to the Chairman(Johnson?) The problem was it was behind everybodys back, including the manager...and JOhnson didn't need board approval to make the sale, which was for financial reasons, of course. This act signalled the beginning of the end for Johnson, but no one wanted to buy the club, until Bill scraped the money together and did a deal. To blame BK for everything that has gone wrong over thirty years is yet another 'twisted tale'.

In many ways selling Ferguson was a fantastic piece of business. The money we got for him was significant and he was already on the decline then. It would be some years later under Moyes before he could become a useful footballer again (albeit completely different).

We nearly paid the penalty as we lacked options up front, but a lot of that was Smiths fault really. He paid a lot of money for Bakayoko (more than we paid for Campbell) and he flopped.

In fairness to Bill we sold players but I never got the sense it was done behind a managers back.

The big difficulty of his tenrureship was his inability to either raise investment or build the commercial profile of the club. Failing either of this, no plan was then made for how to be successful with that in mind. I do think there was an acceptance of if not mediocrity but certainly decency.

That being said many other similar sized clubs have ben relegated in our time, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds etc. When Kenwright took us on, we were not any bigger or further ahead than most of them in a meaningful sense.

I'm just surprised, very, that Kenwright is still Chairman and particularly so since Moshiri acquired the additional shares.

I could understand a transitional period of a year or two whilst Moshiri properly acquainted himself with the club but in almost every scenario, people want to make their own appointments eventually. If nothing else it is a show of control and authority, but more fundamentally, its a signal that things are under new management.

Clearly Kenwright still has influence beyond that which his track record at this club should bring to bear. It isn't a personal thing, I have never met or spoken to the man but as custodian of the club he did not have the ability to arrest our decline, such that it became managed decline and a gradual reset of ambition and expectation to match a mid-table outfit that we are today.

He has singularly failed to provide direction and leadership. You can't be in football as long as he has without acquiring a reputation as a good and experienced negotiator but there are others at the club that can perform those functions now. In the critical areas - financing, commercial, stadium, we have been found wanting and are so far behind it is both sobering and frightening to anyone who dreams of seeing us compete.

We then have the appointment of a new CEO which was a glorious opportunity for Moshiri to usher in a new era but the job goes to DBB, firmly from the Kenwright gene pool. We needed a football business leader, there was all of Europe and beyond from which to search and make the best appointment but it goes in-house - again. Why? The further announcement of the senior management team, as well as being full of bombast and pomp, also saw a return of familiar faces and others predominantly recruited from the North-West. Why so? We are certainly not a global club but should we not be global in outlook at least?

Ultimately the running of the club is Moshiri's responsibility however at the very least I think the experience to date has been one of confusion and under-achievement relative to resources. In part, that is due to a struggle at the club between the old and the new, perhaps that is becoming a thing of the past but if Moshiri had free rein to appoint a Chairman and CEO, I cannot accept that he would settle for Kenwright and DBB. The latter is a Kenwright appointee, as is Keith Harris. It tells me that Moshiri is for some strange reason, not as immersed in the day to day running of the club as he should be. That's what staff are for, of course, but the issue is they are not his.

This is a good assessment.

I am amazed he's stayed on board. As people have intimated any blame now has to go to Moshiri rather than Kenwright. Moshiri has kept him on.

I think Moshiri would want a guy who knows football inside out, particularly English football on the board. I also wonder if Kenwrights health improving may have shifted the thinking on this.

There appears to be a belief emanating from the Kenwrght camp that all they lacked was money. That they ran the club well (who can forget the rubbish about best run club in England) but we needed a backer. While I disagree with it, there may be slightly more sense to it than we initially thought, and possibly Moshiri feels Kenwright running the ship gives him a degree of security that was missing? I'd also say, after the turbulence of the first 2 years, more caution will set in.

What I'd also suggest is that Bill likely convinced Kenwright to be the sort of investor he wants. IE someone who will pump money in, but allow Bill to maintain a greater degree of control. That's sort of what you have now. I also wouldn't under estimate how the appointments of both Allardyce and Koeman went in the psyche of Moshiri. I think he's realised the football game is a lot harder than he may have first thought.

I'd always prefer top class people running the club. However if there is significant investment in the background (for example Usmanov) and they feel Brands has control over the recruitment side of things there may be a view that Kenwright can ensure the ship moves steadily forward. Not particularly quickly but at least steadily.

As I've said, I don't know. If it's me I'd rather get Evertonians such as Terry Leahy or Gilroy in positions of influence. I'd go and get the best. I'd even consider David Gill. It doesn't look like the way he wants to go about it though.

Don't think Moshiri had much choice about keeping Kenwright on, wasn't it part of the deal that Bill, Jon Woods kept their shares a certain amount of time. I believe JW's shares are now all sold, Bill's are due to be sold at a certain date. The sale I believe was agreed under those conditions.
Again conjecture on my part, Maybe it's the reason Everton weren't sold a lot earlier.
I don’t think anybody truly knows. Buying 49.9% in a club was very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.