Big Dunc testimonial - EFC vs Villareal at Goodison, Sun Aug 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
His goals also kept us up in 97/98, lest we forget.

Come on, let's not rewrite history here.

I'm grateful for his contribution, but I'm not having it that Dunc's goals were the only thing that saved us that season, which is how I read the above statement.

He scored 11 league goals, which undoubtedly helped secure safety. But looking closely at the goals which won us points (a goal in a 2-1 win or an equaliser in a drawn game, for example, compared to goals when we lost the game anyway).

Dunc helped us gain 5-7 points that season, which obviously helped keep us up...but it wasn't the only factor. His goals contribution relating to PL points was very similar to Speed (6 points), and even Madar (5), for example, even though both of those players scored less goals that season.

Let's not get into that. It's embarrassing.

The feller was a fist pumping lampost. Let's not dumb down the Everton legendary status to include a clodhopper like him.

Your bitterness towards Dunc is what's embarrassing.

There are far bigger & more deserving targets for your contempt - players who failed at Everton, who flopped, who didn't contribute, who didn't give us hope, who didn't give us fun times, who wasn't loved by the fans.

Some of my absolute favourite EFC moments of all time involve Dunc's goals and inspiration for the team. I think it's really appalling you denigrate him like you do. You don't have to love him or anything, but it's embarrassing how you slag him off as a player and also a coach when far more people better qualified than you and who encounter him day to day praise the guy.

Just said similar on Twitter and got jumped on. Thought he was a very underrated footballer and brilliant at times but disappeared far too often for me to be considered a legend/worthy of a testimonial.
Quite right mate, I used to be amazed at the cheering from a large number of fans when he was red carded,and i got myself into a few arguments with fellow Evertonians over it, a liability at times was Duncan.

Come on, let's not rewrite history here.

I'm grateful for his contribution, but I'm not having it that Dunc's goals were the only thing that saved us that season, which is how I read the above statement.

He scored 11 league goals, which undoubtedly helped secure safety. But looking closely at the goals which won us points (a goal in a 2-1 win or an equaliser in a drawn game, for example, compared to goals when we lost the game anyway).

Dunc helped us gain 5-7 points that season, which obviously helped keep us up...but it wasn't the only factor. His goals contribution relating to PL points was very similar to Speed (6 points), and even Madar (5), for example, even though both of those players scored less goals that season.

He scored a hat trick against Bolton at Christmas 1997. We won 3-1. We stayed up above Bolton on goal difference.

Ignoring his efforts, not just in this season but also in 94/95 is 'rewriting history'.

He scored a hat trick against Bolton at Christmas 1997. We won 3-1. We stayed up above Bolton on goal difference.

Ignoring his efforts, not just in this season but also in 94/95 is 'rewriting history'.

I'm not ignoring his efforts, in fact I agreed that his goals contributed to keeping us up. But to say his goals were the only thing that kept us up is rewriting history.

The 94-95 season didn't come into the equation, as my particular post was in relation to a comment made about the 97-98 season.

Aren't we playing another game a day or two later? Maybe this will be a legends game rather than an actual pre-season one. Although it would be weird playing our retired players vs Villarreal first team so maybe not.
If it's a legends game I'll swerve it, seen enough of them b---------s to last me a lifetime.

Oh come on. He's more deserving than Tony Hibbert of one.

He's won something for Everton after all
He soon shot off to Newcastle for a transfer! never the same on return as I have always stated a Blues icon - never a Legend - I hope the money is going to a good cause!

Last edited:
It's really not that unusual for someone to get a testimonial years after they retired. It's happened numerous times over the past years with us.

Some times testimonials can't happen straight away due to the acrimonious nature of their departure. It's honouring someone who deserves it and all the money will go to charity.

Imagine being so bitter that you denigrate a beloved club legend's effort. Some people sadden me.
Yes Dixie Dean and Tommy Lawton got testimonials years after they retired, you're not comparing Dunc to them are you,
and they were skint, I don't think Ferguson is short of a few bob. None of the players who played regularly in the
Premiership should get a benefit game, they are all minted.

Yes Dixie Dean and Tommy Lawton got testimonials years after they retired, you're not comparing Dunc to them are you,
and they were skint, I don't think Ferguson is short of a few bob. None of the players who played regularly in the
Premiership should get a benefit game, they are all minted.
If its going to a good cause its ok with me , but its a bit late -big Dunc cleared off to Spain as well - is John Parrot having a game?

Don't understand some of the posts having a go at him. Obviously Big Dunc was elevated in the minds of Evertonians during the 90's as probably being a bigger "legend" than he actually was, but he was still a very important player for us and definitely a club icon. I'd go as far as to say that the fact that he comes out and declares his love for the club regularly, and is also having an important role in the coaching pushes him close to being a legend. He also won a trophy whilst at the club, despite not starting in the cup final.

I accept that he was a liability at times, but he also contributed a lot of important moments for us and in an era when we were terrible on the pitch, we needed someone like him to have a go in the derbies etc and give the fans someone to get behind and support.

I'd have players like Big Dunc and Cahill in the Club Icon category just behind our true Legends like Alan Ball, Brian Labone, Dixie Dean and Graeme Sharp etc.

Saying he doesn't deserve a testimonial is a bit odd though.

I mean, I don't think Big Dunc was a "legend" or anything like that, but he's always been one of my fave players, so I don't begrudge him getting a walk out and a nice round of applause before a charity match

That's basically all that's happening here

We're playing Villa Real under the aupsice of it being Dunc's "Testimonial"

It's for charity and also for the supporters who like and respect him

It's also a chance for us to play a decent side in pre-season before the real action starts a week later

I honestly see no problem with it

If you do, fair enough, I guess we won't see you there then

I mean, I don't think Big Dunc was a "legend" or anything like that, but he's always been one of my fave players, so I don't begrudge him getting a walk out and a nice round of applause before a charity match

That's basically all that's happening here

We're playing Villa Real under the aupsice of it being Dunc's "Testimonial"

It's for charity and also for the supporters who like and respect him

It's also a chance for us to play a decent side in pre-season before the real action starts a week later

I honestly see no problem with it

If you do, fair enough, I guess we won't see you there then
If its for a good cause then fine- the players of today do not need the gate money as they were paid so well not like in the old days where the relied on a charity game to boost funds for their retirement - could they get Collinia to ref it?

Status
Not open for further replies.