Big Dunc testimonial - EFC vs Villareal at Goodison, Sun Aug 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, says a lot about Dunc and a lot about Barkley. Leave it to you to decide which is praiseworthy.

Duncan Ferguson has played an entire career and has a decade of coaching behind him . It wouldn't say much for him if he wasn't more aware than a twenty one year old.

As much as I love having Duncan involved at Everton my memory of him as a player was frustration at the number of games he missed as a player through injury.

Yeah think the same as you. I think we'll end up with someone like van dijk from Celtic. We'll fail to get a 'number 10' and we'll maybe get an unheard of young Spanish striker who will be a huge gamble and he won't shift any of the dead wood cos he can't afford to make a loss on. Players like Kone. But we'll hang on to Stones for another season.

You can't use not selling players as a stick to beat him with. If nobody wants to buy them then we can't sell them.

Genuine serious question mate. How much of what Bobby says he needs do you think we'll get in the next 30 days and how long do you reckon it'll take for them to settle in?

Not being proactive cos It is what it is regarding not having the cash to buy earlier in the summer but what d'ye reckon?

Serious question here as well. If Chelsea were to succeed in luring Stones away from Everton, and they sign him at the last minute of this window. Do you think its due to poor planning and lack of being pro-active from Chelsea, or a case of them not having the money earlier in the window?

Look at Dunc directing everyone, he tells Barkley when to make the pass too but Barkley isn't looking at him lol

Cause Barley has a much better vision of whats happening in front of him than Ferguson and consequently made his own decision. Talking on the pitch is great, vital even, but you don't have to look at somebody to hear them.

Serious question here as well. If Chelsea were to succeed in luring Stones away from Everton, and they sign him at the last minute of this window. Do you think its due to poor planning and lack of being pro-active from Chelsea, or a case of them not having the money earlier in the window?

Well as Chelsea have seemingly unlimited cash from their owner to buy players whenever they want to plus 30+ players out on loan that they make regular profits from (e.g. lukaku) i would say neither. Instead i'd say that its likely to be good planning from Chelsea's viewpoint depending on what they guess is the Everton Board's cash need in this transfer window? i.e. they've put a couple of very public offers out there and also left it as a 'take or leave it' offer. So Chelsea have proactively put a plan to deliver their transfer targets and used their media contacts to publicise it. i guess the only difference is that Everton Board's transfer plan is not public knowledge and that's also fine.

You can't use not selling players as a stick to beat him with. If nobody wants to buy them then we can't sell them.

True but if no one wants Kone (and i am just picking him for the sake of an example) then why is that? i.e. is it what we're trying to sell the deadwood for. Or is it for some other reason like we're holding onto them just for the sake of not losing money on them or having bodies to put on the pitch when the inevitable injuries happen?

By the way, i'm not using any stick to beat Martinez either. Like many fans i saw most of the home matches live last year and it was almost the same every match tactically especially when teams came and sat back against us. Having seen most of the preseason games I am excited about the number of ball-playing young players coming through that seem to fit into Martinez's style but it doesn't stop me being equally worried that we will be tactically inept this season again before they are ready and Martinez has admitted that he needs a centre back, attacking central midfield and a striker.

True but if no one wants Kone (and i am just picking him for the sake of an example) then why is that? i.e. is it what we're trying to sell the deadwood for. Or is it for some other reason like we're holding onto them just for the sake of not losing money on them or having bodies to put on the pitch when the inevitable injuries happen?

By the way, i'm not using any stick to beat Martinez either. Like many fans i saw most of the home matches live last year and it was almost the same every match tactically especially when teams came and sat back against us. Having seen most of the preseason games I am excited about the number of ball-playing young players coming through that seem to fit into Martinez's style but it doesn't stop me being equally worried that we will be tactically inept this season again before they are ready and Martinez has admitted that he needs a centre back, attacking central midfield and a striker.

I wasn't trying to pick on you personally, but there definitely are people who use it as a reason. The reason nobody wants him is because he's a bit cack. So if he's on our books, is there any point in freezing him completely out of the team while we're paying his wages? It'll be a case of keeping him happy, even if he's not in our plans you don't want an unhappy player stirring things up in the dressing room.

I wasn't trying to pick on you personally, but there definitely are people who use it as a reason. The reason nobody wants him is because he's a bit cack. So if he's on our books, is there any point in freezing him completely out of the team while we're paying his wages? It'll be a case of keeping him happy, even if he's not in our plans you don't want an unhappy player stirring things up in the dressing room.

Correct but surely as a manager in any business if you've got one person (or a couple of people) dragging back what you are trying to achieve with the whole team and your own vision then you should get rid at whatever price to whoever is interested in taking that person - that is unless you are scared of the consequence of having to admit you made a mistake in the first place or are hamstrung by a fear of recriminations from your boss over your judgement in the first place? Either way, if you haven't got the right people on the bus then you're going to be distracted by managing those who shouldn't be even at the bus stop. Someone, somewhere just probably not in the premier league will want our deadwood.?

Correct but surely as a manager in any business if you've got one person (or a couple of people) dragging back what you are trying to achieve with the whole team and your own vision then you should get rid at whatever price to whoever is interested in taking that person - that is unless you are scared of the consequence of having to admit you made a mistake in the first place or are hamstrung by a fear of recriminations from your boss over your judgement in the first place? Either way, if you haven't got the right people on the bus then you're going to be distracted by managing those who shouldn't be even at the bus stop. Someone, somewhere just probably not in the premier league will want our deadwood.?

Not if they've been watching our games!

Status
Not open for further replies.