Best Everton player you have watched in you lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever anyone asks this or something similar, Kanchelskis pops into my head immediately. Rooney mkI probably the most gifted, but Kanchelskis was electrifying and the difference he single-handedly made in games in terms of points won that season was unreal.
That period there in the mid 90's when we won the FA Cup under Joe Royle, and had that full season with Kanchelskis was our best and most exciting period, since the glory days of the mid 80's.

We had that period under David Moyes from 2006/2007 to 2008/2009 when we were decent enough, but it still wasn't as good as that period in the mid 90's.

It's a shame it was all so brief though because around 1995/1996, it felt that we were on our way back as a force to be reckoned with again.

We had a great manager in Joe Royle, an exceptionally talented player in Andrei Kanchelskis, and a chairman in Peter Johnson who seemed at the time to be an ambitious man on a mission.

Of course he had that falling out with Big Joe, lost interest in funding the club, and the whole thing fell apart basically. Arsenal of course finished just above us in that 1995/1996 season as well.

Both us and Arsenal would go on to have very contrasting fortunes in the following years though. Arsenal established themselves as premier league superpower, while we sadly faded into oblivion.

Beat Everton player's seen in my life time, starting 1958 my first game with my dad aged 9 . Tommy Ring, then moving on Alex Young, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Neville Southall. And that's about it none of today's players come close . Of the modern era my faves are Arteta and Cahill. But you can't beat Ball and Young for me.

Southall, and Lineker, for different reasons. Can't not include Big Dunc throwback traditional centre forward just a shame injuries and suspensions and all that

Quite a few of us watched someone who could have been the best.

It's a sad thing that his issues prevented him from fulfilling his footballing potential but the main thing is hopefully he's happy and settled now.

Billy Kenny was the absolute dogs at one time though.

Easy, Neville. You could put the crap we have now in front of him and he'd still be taking the p out of the leagues best strikers. World class.

God blessed me allowing me to see him in his pomp.

Southall, truely world class. As a kid I always wanted to be Trevor Steven as I played right mid/wing.

There’s a million different reasons for who was the best. Was it technical ability, craft, wholeheartedness, sgrit, determination, goals, saves ......

Bob Latchford sticks out for me, along with all the title winning side in the 80’s.

For truly world class ability then it has to be Neville Southall. For different reasons I really, really liked Kanchelskis, Speed, Cahill and the pigeon we just sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.