Match Thread Arsenal v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 goals should be enough to get the job done in most games of football. You're not going to take many points if you consistently blow leads and can't control a game you're winning.

But sometimes 2 goals isn't enough mate. The chance Calvert-Lewin hit straight at Leno should be going in whether we're 5-0 up or 5-0 down, a striker simply shouldn't be missing that.

Your other point is correct of course, but I thought yesterday was one of those days where a few individuals (namely Sidibe, Iwobi and Sigurdsson) let down the collective. We conceded 3 goals and I thought our 2 centre backs played pretty well, that almost never happens. It was just one of those games I think.

But sometimes 2 goals isn't enough mate. The chance Calvert-Lewin hit straight at Leno should be going in whether we're 5-0 up or 5-0 down, a striker simply shouldn't be missing that.

Your other point is correct of course, but I thought yesterday was one of those days where a few individuals (namely Sidibe, Iwobi and Sigurdsson) let down the collective. We conceded 3 goals and I thought our 2 centre backs played pretty well, that almost never happens. It was just one of those games I think.

Both our forwards scored, they've done their job (regardless if, and I agree, you think DCL should have done better). Without a brainfart for Baines at the start of the second half or Sidibe leaving himself too much to do for their 2nd we're walking away with at least a point.

Considering the Arsenal fans booed them off at half time, and the team were running down the clock from 60 minutes, I don't think much of the Arteta revolution.
With a little more luck and more steel in midfield, three points were ours for the taking today.
Gomes looks like he's not missed a game all season! Watch him go from now until May.

I've got some bad news for you...

Well another season that we fail to get three points in the same old fixtures, Doesn't matter which manager or which squad of players.The pit,wherever Arsenal hang their hats, Salford, Chelsea ( unless it's penalties....and on and on.

Both our forwards scored, they've done their job (regardless if, and I agree, you think DCL should have done better). Without a brainfart for Baines at the start of the second half or Sidibe leaving himself too much to do for their 2nd we're walking away with at least a point.

Definitely mate. I thought their first goal was one of those where you can't attach too much blame to anyone but both of Aubamyeang's strikes were shocking defending from our fullbacks.

It is such a frustrating defeat because for once we actually turned up at an away ground at a top side and gave them a game rather than rolling over and getting our tummies tickled.

As I say, there's still a few players in our side who don't deserve to be there. Hopefully we can clear these wasters out in the summer and we may, at long last, have a pretty promising squad.

Definitely mate. I thought their first goal was one of those where you can't attach too much blame to anyone but both of Aubamyeang's strikes were shocking defending from our fullbacks.

It is such a frustrating defeat because for once we actually turned up at an away ground at a top side and gave them a game rather than rolling over and getting our tummies tickled.

As I say, there's still a few players in our side who don't deserve to be there. Hopefully we can clear these wasters out in the summer and we may, at long last, have a pretty promising squad.

Pickford. As soon as the cross was unleashed, he should have been off his line to collect the ball in HIS 6-yard box. He was still rooted to his goal line as the ball passed him into the net. If your keeper does not command his area, you have problems...

Top finish from the lad. He has improved in all areas. Just missing the extra clinical touch he should of had at least 2 yesterday. But he is scoring goals, if he continues to improve and become more ruthless then I have no problem with him. Start of the season I said he is a championship player well he has proved me wrong.

Well another season that we fail to get three points in the same old fixtures, Doesn't matter which manager or which squad of players.The pit,wherever Arsenal hang their hats, Salford, Chelsea ( unless it's penalties....and on and on.

I actually thought, that yesterday’s performance was one of the better performances away from home against the so called big 6 team in recent years
Yes we lost but I saw a lot of positives, and on another day we could have come away with a win

Pickford. As soon as the cross was unleashed, he should have been off his line to collect the ball in HIS 6-yard box. He was still rooted to his goal line as the ball passed him into the net. If your keeper does not command his area, you have problems...

I think you have to give credit to the winger. His cross was in the area keepers/defenders hate. And not many other keepers would have done differently to Pickford.

I think you have to give credit to the winger. His cross was in the area keepers/defenders hate. And not many other keepers would have done differently to Pickford.

I agree re the cross. But it was only going to go in one area of the box, and Pickford should have been alive to that. He stood rooted to the spot...

Arsenal had a keeper years ago, Jens Lehmann I think, who, in those situations, would get out to the cross and take everything in his path on the way!

Annoying result but we're going to have more of them this season.

Mentality is the issue. That only changes over time and with the help of far better recruitment.

I dont believe our senior players believed they could win. And our defenders don't put enough focus on the basics. And we have a goalkeeper who let's in over half the efforts he faces on his goal.

Ancelotti will sort this if he's given what he needs. Until such time we will get frustrating results.
And who would these be?

and there’s the rub.

I agree re the cross. But it was only going to go in one area of the box, and Pickford should have been alive to that. He stood rooted to the spot...

Arsenal had a keeper years ago, Jens Lehmann I think, who, in those situations, would get out to the cross and take everything in his path on the way!

I think this is insanely harsh. I was stood almost exactly in line with the corner flag - Saka whipped that ball in with pace, curl and exquisite placement. Pickford didn't have time to react to it and it was a deft finish too. Goalkeepers cannot fly out to intercept every cross ever delivered. Pickford has his flaws - I wasn't overjoyed to see him smashing some hideous liqueur on the train back to London after the reverse fixture this season for example - but this desire some people have to find fault in his every move is absurd and incredibly unhelpful. If you don't like him fine, but blaming him for that goal is madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.