Match Thread Arsenal v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a DM most I think, the back 4 will improve if they have someone to cover their tracks, gueye in this team now and we'd be in the top 4 I'm sure. CB, DM, RW, ST.

Annoying result but we're going to have more of them this season.

Mentality is the issue. That only changes over time and with the help of far better recruitment.

I dont believe our senior players believed they could win. And our defenders don't put enough focus on the basics. And we have a goalkeeper who let's in over half the efforts he faces on his goal.

Ancelotti will sort this if he's given what he needs. Until such time we will get frustrating results.

In the cold light of day;
Midfield:
We carried two starting central midfielders who contributed nothing. Not quite a knife to a gunfight but we certainly operated with one hand behind our backs in that respect.
Striker:
Putting his goal to one side, DCL should really have converted at least one of his second half chances.
Wings:
Iwobi, I thought and in some defence of his, played well for the 20 odd minutes from our first up to their equaliser. Thereafter, he was ineffective.
Sigurdson, words not needed.
GK
They only had four shots on target and converted three of them. I'm sorry but when we are paying 30m for a keeper we are entitled to better than a 25% save percentage.
That's 5-6 players who were very poor yesterday, benefit of doubt given to Sid right back.

To only lose that 3-2 and to be chasing right up to the dying seconds is a testament to the work-rate of the other players. Reshuffle for next weekend to address these issues, Gomes and Bernard to start and on we go.
On another note, the above confirms the level of surgery needed for this squad. We may be better avoiding Europe next season altogether. For us to qualify requires a larger squad. The temptation to retain some of these plodders will be strong for one more season,

The thing that P'd me off more than anything was his obviously negative attitude. Yes he was having a bad game, but he is a senior pro, our most expensive player, and he was acting like the world is against him, constanty shaking his head, defeatist body language etc.

The younger, less experienced lads were more determined and had much more of a 'never give up' attitude than him (especially Richrlason). Should be the other way round.

Time to get rid while we can still get 5 bob for him.

Yes mate, totally agree. His attitude was shocking.

Very weird game on reflection. I think we were quite poor in the first half, didn't really create anything and we scored twice. We were very good in the second half, created loads and didn't score any. Such is life.

As others have said, if we had someone as ice cool as Aubameyang upfront then we I think we win that game comfortably. He's just a lethal finisher and as improved as DcL is this season, he still has some work to do with regards to his finishing as Carlo pointed out after the game.

Bernard and Gomes need to be regulars in this team until the end of the season. I'd probably play Walcott from the start consistently on the right as well. We have a spare spot in midfield where one of Schneiderlin, Delph or Davies will unfortunately have to play and right back is a toss up between a very ordinary defender in Sidibe but a good outlet and a consistent defender but very ordinary outlet in Coleman.

The rest of the team pretty much picks itself now I would have thought.

Very weird game on reflection. I think we were quite poor in the first half, didn't really create anything and we scored twice. We were very good in the second half, created loads and didn't score any. Such is life.

As others have said, if we had someone as ice cool as Aubameyang upfront then we I think we win that game comfortably. He's just a lethal finisher and as improved as DcL is this season, he still has some work to do with regards to his finishing as Carlo pointed out after the game.

Bernard and Gomes need to be regulars in this team until the end of the season. I'd probably play Walcott from the start consistently on the right as well. We have a spare spot in midfield where one of Schneiderlin, Delph or Davies will unfortunately have to play and right back is a toss up between a very ordinary defender in Sidibe but a good outlet and a consistent defender but very ordinary outlet in Coleman.

The rest of the team pretty much picks itself now I would have thought.

2 goals should be enough to get the job done in most games of football. You're not going to take many points if you consistently blow leads and can't control a game you're winning.

The entire defensive unit needs an overall, it's been a problem for some time now under a number of management regime's. Ever since Martinez final season. We had six defensive minded players yesterday, Sibde Holgate, Minia, Baines Delph and Schneiderlin, it's worring.

2 goals should be enough to get the job done in most games of football. You're not going to take many points if you consistently blow leads and can't control a game you're winning.
I agree with this, both our strikers scored yesterday, we cannot heap too much criticism on them. Our defence was poor, but yet again, the poverty of our midfield choices ultimately proved the weak link. Very little support for the strikers and zero support for the defence. Shame we can't afford to play Mason in midfield every game. He is hard working and positive going forward, but I shudder to think what the score would have been with Keane next to Mina!
On a positive note, we didn't fall back into our penalty area we took the fight to them for the entire game (as best we could) so more profc for me that once Carlo has a couple of his own players in that team we will see a marked change for the better.

Only me that happy with how we went for that game then???!

Dunno mate we trailed for most of the game you would at the very least expect us to be applying pressure for an equaliser.

It’s just the same old story mate. People will say on another day we win but when will that day actually be?

Status
Not open for further replies.