Are we now....popular??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always conflicted with other clubs. I start supporting someone in a game but if the other team does something special I might change alligience mid match.
Yesterday other fans will be buzzing we are 2-0 down and starting relegation in the face… then when we are staging a comeback I’m sure most most would have been buzzing when we hit the third.
Watch football without your is either admiring the style of play and skill, or the drama.
Last night was prime drama

We are not popular with the Media, they would have loved to see us relegated, I cant watch Sky and BT, they are just riddled with former reds sticking the boot in at any opportunity and this season they have put in the minds of people that our players "dive" and that we are overly aggressive. When the reality is that we dont do this any more than any other team. But I feel this has contributed to how we were treated by refs.
I also think after complaining about the ref in the City game and VAR, we have basically got no major decisions for the rest of the season. the refs have hated us all season long.
I think we may have gained some short lived popularity because people have seen the passion of the support over the last 8 games or so, but i think that will be long gone by the start of next season, there will be a new story then.

Nobody really hates us, well apart from the Watford lot, a few kopites and those that run the game in this country and the media. So actually yeah, we are hated.
Speaking to people at work, they love this fan involvement and smoke bomb thing. They wish their clubs and fanbase could be like that.
I bet we see a few teams trying to get the whole smoke bomb thing going. Won't work though, most likely it will look forced. Reckon there are only a few teams in the league that could pull it off.
I've seen us win the league and trophies and this is the proudest I've been as a Blue ?

I know this isn't where the question was going, but I'll say this - abroad I think this relegation scrap and the scenes after victories plays well. If you're not a glory hunting fool, if you didn't know as much about Everton before, you do now and would want to support a side with this much passion. It can only increase awareness, which is a good thing in the global economic landscape that is football.

Excluding kopites because *obviously* but the thing I’ve found are these two groups:
1. Yo-yo clubs like Newcastle, West Ham, Watford, Villa who were desperate for us to go down so we lose our rep of being in every premier league season and most years in top flight.
2. Fans of clubs like Spurs who never win anything who were foaming at the mouth with the prospect of us going down. I swear one guy I know was more bothered about us going down than them getting champions league football - proper mental!

I know this isn't where the question was going, but I'll say this - abroad I think this relegation scrap and the scenes after victories plays well. If you're not a glory hunting fool, if you didn't know as much about Everton before, you do now and would want to support a side with this much passion. It can only increase awareness, which is a good thing in the global economic landscape that is football.
Definitely agree, especially with the US coverage recently, the US player connections and the pre-season games coming up. A real pleasure to catch some intelligent football analysis on NBC without the Sky/BT/TalkSport pundits looking to whip up any controversy and fake rivalry they can...

Think we are more popular with other teams fans who aren't in the Premier League as we are not kopites, and despite what the mainstream media would like to make us believe, the majority of proper match going football fans in all divisions hate the Red Shoite

Status
Not open for further replies.