2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deflected goals don’t count any less but pointing out the deflections is obviously relevant to a discussion about his goalscoring ability. The goals he’s scored so far haven’t really suggested there’s more to come in that department (I’m not saying there’s not, just that what we’ve seen so far wouldn’t support it).

That goal was in the league by the way, against Leeds.

No and that's fair.

And it was yes, I was corrected on that earlier and held my hands up.

The one he deflects himself is pure chance. Theres certainly a case to say, the more he shoots, the more you will get the odd deflection.

You wont win this mate.

He scored 4 goals last season and people were calling him the best talent in Europe.

Just let his football do the talking.

I'm not sure people were saying he was the nest talent in Europe. But his goals, and also his wider defensive contribution through the 2nd half of last season made him one of the best players of his age in the league that season.

That is as much a reflection of the lack of young players in the league.

I'm not sure people were saying he was the nest talent in Europe
gords.jpg

Haha well that's a home run own isnt it!

I'm not sure hes quite at that level, but thought he did very well last season. There arent many players who produce what he did, in the PL, at such a poor team at his age IMO.

Quite? He's not even anywhere close and its misleading and unfair on him people even say that sort of stuff.

Almost every aspect of his game needs improving. He's now at 50 games, about 30 started. And thats still a low amount but that rawness in his game has to slowly start to improve.
Said it before, i dont know why he was hyped up so much. He wasnt and isn't even remotely ready to live up to that.

Quite? He's not even anywhere close and its misleading and unfair on him people even say that sort of stuff.

Almost every aspect of his game needs improving. He's now at 50 games, about 30 started. And thats still a low amount but that rawness in his game has to slowly start to improve.
Said it before, i dont know why he was hyped up so much. He wasnt and isn't even remotely ready to live up to that.

No. Hes not at that level, but he did very well last season all things considered.

No. Hes not at that level, but he did very well last season all things considered.
He was one of the few shining stars during a very difficult season alongside many other players who underperformed* or were unavailable.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's unfair to feel that this* has perhaps distorted the expectations for many fans. In a better team, he'll have to up his game.

I am not as anti as you but I do think that the hero worship is a bit much. Young lad who needs time. Needs to build a lot into his game. Hopefully under Frank his final ball and finishing will improve. Not the finished article yet so give him some space
I am not anti Gorden, I am just saying we could do better with the money if we sold him. As you know we are in dire need of forwards.

I am not anti Gorden, I am just saying we could do better with the money if we sold him. As you know we are in dire need of forwards.
It is almost sacriledge to talk about selling our better , younger players but if we have no money to spend and / or our P&S position gives us no headroom to invest in new players so we are going to have to do something creative to bring in a much needed striker.

Gordon is a talent of that there is no doubt but at present has very little end product .

In a world where MGW of Wolves could command a £40 m fee it seems appropriate to consider what we could do in terms of strengthening the team overall if we let AG go .

For me a new forward / forwards is potentially more important in terms of a points return than Gordon .

So, if we can't get fees for Alli , Gomes , Allan , Davies , Gbamin or Keane we may have to sacrifice Gordon or Pickford , who as things presently stand are our 2 most saleable assets.

If we don't have to sell to bring in a striker /s then wonderful but I don't think we can just keep our fingers crossed that DCL will be back soon and as good as .....err 2 seasons ago.

Gordon going and our relative lack of quality in wide players could be mitigated by a 532 formation if , as appears to be the case , we are set on 5 at the back.

It is almost sacriledge to talk about selling our better , younger players but if we have no money to spend and / or our P&S position gives us no headroom to invest in new players so we are going to have to do something creative to bring in a much needed striker.

Gordon is a talent of that there is no doubt but at present has very little end product .

In a world where MGW of Wolves could command a £40 m fee it seems appropriate to consider what we could do in terms of strengthening the team overall if we let AG go .

For me a new forward / forwards is potentially more important in terms of a points return than Gordon .

So, if we can't get fees for Alli , Gomes , Allan , Davies , Gbamin or Keane we may have to sacrifice Gordon or Pickford , who as things presently stand are our 2 most saleable assets.

If we don't have to sell to bring in a striker /s then wonderful but I don't think we can just keep our fingers crossed that DCL will be back soon and as good as .....err 2 seasons ago.

Gordon going and our relative lack of quality in wide players could be mitigated by a 532 formation if , as appears to be the case , we are set on 5 at the back.
You put it better than me but that's exactly what I meant in my post.

I just think he lacks the awareness in some situations and needs to know when to let fly, hit a pass or continue a run. I do think he is on the cusp of breaking out. As with Iwobi he needs to unlock the mental aspect of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.