2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played 35 games so not half a season by any stretch of the imagination. He got 1 (hugely deflected) goal and no assists in the last 16 games of the season. He worked really hard for the team which was great but this weird suggestion that he carried us just doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

He has done well for an academy graduate, has a good attitude, and shows hints of having more in his locker, but if he wants to stay in the team then sooner or later he’s going to have to start actually producing the goods. It’s not controversial and it doesn’t mean people are turning on him or whatever, it’s just a fairly obvious truth.

Just for clarity, the half season comment really relates to the fact he got his goals in the 2nd half of the season. It was more to show how he was coming on in that time, and adding goals to his game. Also worth noting, he started 25 games, so a fair few sub appearances in that.

I do take the point that the goal was deflected, but also perhaps worth caveating he had a goal basically taken off him against Bournemouth by DCL, so you do win some/lose some from that regard.

I don't think he carried us. I don't know if that suggestion is being made, but if it is I would certainly challenge that, so we are in agreement with that. It seems people expect him to start carrying us now, and are getting frustrated that he isn't. He didn't last season, and he won't this season. So if that's what people expect, inevitably there will be some disappointment.

At the present time, there is not really anybody at a point where they are threatening to push him out. If McNeil lives up to expectations, and Gray shows his best consistently he will be out of the team, but that is as much of an if as with Gordon. Honestly, I'd be delighted if that happened too. So I think he has a bit of time left. We still have quite inconsistent players, even in that part of the team.

There are certainly improvements to be made. I noted yesterday, he has to start heading the ball with more conviction, as he actually has a good leap and gets into good areas. He needs to be more clinical with shots and I still think he needs to get fitter. I'd say he has a good engine for 60 not 90.
That being said, I was a bit surprised to see the criticism of him on yesterdays display. Watching live, I thought he did well in an unconventional position. I listened back to the footage, and the commentators seemed to think he was our best attacking outlet, and just needed some support. That is close to how I saw it.

I just sort of think people have got to temper what is realistic with him, hence why I asked that question. Like realistically, how many goals do people think he should be getting, Foden, who plays in a far better team, and would rightly be regarded as an elite wide player (and is older than Gordon) has got 5,9,9 league goals the last 3 seasons. If Gordon is someone in and around those numbers, in a far weaker team, that would be good for me. I just worry a bit for a lot of people that will be seen as a poor season.

We seem to do this a fair bit, overhype a young player, then saw the expectation level to a riduculous level, then get angry when they don't reach it. I hope we can all, on all sides, be realistic on Gordon. Just because he's not getting 15 goals a season at 21, doesn't man he's letting the team down etc.

If you really wanted to cherry pick, another goal richarlison scored off his arse and one of the Brighton goals took a big deflection as well. He only scored one clean one

The Richarlison goal was in the cup, so not in those figures.
He also had one taken off him from Dom v Biournemouth. We can go round in circles about who got what when. What matters is in the book. He got 4 league goals. You don't score any less for a goal with a deflection.

He also had one taken off him from Dom v Biournemouth. We can go round in circles about who got what when. What matters is in the book. He got 4 league goals. You don't score any less for a goal with a deflection.
He didn't score in the cup so no it wasn't, it was the Leeds game and it is in your 4 goals. And we didn't play Bournemouth last year on account of them not being in the league....

I am not a massive fan, and I also know he is very young but for me he is very inconsistent, he can be very good on his day but that's does not happen enough. If what we are told is true and there are clubs around that would pay big money for him I would sell him and buy a decent striker. Don't get on my back its only my opinion.

Deflected goals don’t count any less but pointing out the deflections is obviously relevant to a discussion about his goalscoring ability. The goals he’s scored so far haven’t really suggested there’s more to come in that department (I’m not saying there’s not, just that what we’ve seen so far wouldn’t support it).

That goal was in the league by the way, against Leeds.

Deflected goals don’t count any less but pointing out the deflections is obviously relevant to a discussion about his goalscoring ability. The goals he’s scored so far haven’t really suggested there’s more to come in that department (I’m not saying there’s not, just that what we’ve seen so far wouldn’t support it).

That goal was in the league by the way, against Leeds.
You wont win this mate.

He scored 4 goals last season and people were calling him the best talent in Europe.

Just let his football do the talking.

I am not a massive fan, and I also know he is very young but for me he is very inconsistent, he can be very good on his day but that's does not happen enough. If what we are told is true and there are clubs around that would pay big money for him I would sell him and buy a decent striker. Don't get on my back its only my opinion.
I am not as anti as you but I do think that the hero worship is a bit much. Young lad who needs time. Needs to build a lot into his game. Hopefully under Frank his final ball and finishing will improve. Not the finished article yet so give him some space

Status
Not open for further replies.