Andy Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic player who I always enjoyed watching.
Even at the time I could never understand the clamour for him as manager, and I'm glad that that didn't happen.
Mad isnt it, it would be like going for Osman, Gary Neville or Carragher now, i dont recall it being a fans idea either, just a crazy one Peter Johnson came up with

I'm to young for the Andy Gray playing days but he was always a sound pundit who clearly spoke about us fondly, he's sound to me

Its one of footballs enduring mysteries that Gray and Reidy, both signed whilst being written off as injury hit past its, both became utter Everton idols, and both central to our best team ever. In my life time anyrate.

Its one of footballs enduring mysteries that Gray and Reidy, both signed whilst being written off as injury hit past its, both became utter Everton idols, and both central to our best team ever. In my life time anyrate.

It's why football is comparatively dead now. Back then, things could just click and you'd make the difference up in quality through a few signings.

Sure, you had Leicester, but they're legitimate miracles now if anyone other than one of two or three clubs win the league.

I hate football in many ways.

It never bothered me that he turned the job down and after reading more detail of what went on I could understand why,though I was excited at the thought of him being manager at the time,I just think of hom as a great player in a great side

Yes, same here.

The guy was offered the job...he decided not to take it.

Nowt to “forgive” on that score.

And for all we know, we dodged a bullet because who knows if Andy would have cut the mustard as a manager.

What we do know for certain however is that he was a talismanic figure in our 1980s glory days and his goals were a major factor in some of the greatest Everton games ever.

Legend in my eyes :)

It's why football is comparatively dead now. Back then, things could just click and you'd make the difference up in quality through a few signings.

Sure, you had Leicester, but they're legitimate miracles now if anyone other than one of two or three clubs win the league.

I hate football in many ways.

Yep, agree. Its a different world from when the likes of QPR, Norwich, Ipswich, probably others, could have a serious tilt at the league, based on decent players and like you say, sommet clicks.

I have ignored Clough teams cos he was a genius.

Never saw anybody head a ball that low off the ground like he did at Notts Co in that cup game....jaws were on the floor amongst us away fans....fantastic player for us and wish we had someone similar now. Sharp benefited a lot from playing with him as well.

Don't have an issue with him, whatever a player does after he leaves the club should be viewed as something else unless they spit out anti-Everton statements which Gray has never done. A great player should be judged on what they did for us.

As @Mikey_Fitzgerald said pundits should be broadly speaking unbiased, they can want them to do well but not blindly lap everything they do up and talk endlessly about them. Which is where most of them fall down on at the moment.

He never changed his mind, he was never actually offered the job, Johnson just spoke to him about the idea of being a manager, even though he had no experience of managment.
Its always a good idea to have hero worshipping stop at our heroes peak. I really dont believe management would have ended well at all, let alone start.

Status
Not open for further replies.