2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I tend to agree. Just think Gomes was (and may be used again on Saturday) because he's better on the ball, in theory, than Davies.

Like I said, wouldn't be adverse to seeing Davies in there, though.

As you say would love Holgate to slide into midfield for a few games with Coleman at RB until either Allan/Gbamin/Delph is fit but doubt he'll do it.

It really wasn't
Getting the ball ≠ no foul

It was clumsy af, if someone kicked DCL in the box, but because he got the faintest touch on the ball, (which didn’t change the ball’s direction btw), we didn’t get a pen I’d be fuming

I’ll take it though ofc

Had chances to play a forward passes when he got possession but often times just turned and dropped it back. Very negative from my point of view. Allan will be a big miss
Just seen a stat on twitter, he’s only played 2 passes into the opposition’s box this season. Last time was West Brom in September.
Antony Gordon has 2 passes into the box in 34mins

Getting the ball ≠ no foul

It was clumsy af, if someone kicked DCL in the box, but because he got the faintest touch on the ball, (which didn’t change the ball’s direction btw), we didn’t get a pen I’d be fuming

I’ll take it though ofc

Good job Gomes didn't kick him then, otherwise it would have been a penalty

When I think of it, teams targetting him makes sense. You get some video analysis and highlight to opponents how he plays.
Yeah it's guesswork obviously but it's what i've suspected for a while. I think it's clear he'll always give you a chance to dispossess him, because he's slow and likes to get his head up. Springing a trap to pressure him is pretty low risk/high reward stuff, because he always gives you the chance, and you know that he doesn't really have it in his armoury to hurt you if it doesn't come off. It's not like an Arteta where he might dribble past leaving two players out the game and then do you some damage, basically the worst he's going to do is play a decent ball out wide and mean you have to work to get back in position. Same defensively, I think people are aware that it's highly unlikely he'll win the ball off you if you run at him, so they're more willing to do it than they would be in normal circumstances. A player who would ordinarily see the man in front of him and just pass it to be safe is encouraged to run at Gomes thinking either i'll go past him or he'll foul me.

Its not just about the challenge. That just reinforces the notion he's a liability.
- he at LEASt once a match turns over ball leading to dangerous counters; and often causes the breakdown in play
- which is why he sticks to playing the easy pass the rest of the time
- he offers very little going forward, no more than 10 high quality passes since he's been here
- Richarlison is left to do the grunt work and deserves better support
- goals, assists?
- worse is his defense, its just woeful, so easy to beat, has to foul to compensate (which at least he's doing now thanks to CA)

# bring back Tom Tom
He is not, and never has been, a defensive midfielder.

Gomes is useful in matches where we need to keep possession, you could make an argument that after James he's our most technically gifted player. The problem is that when we're out of possession he's not only useless, but a big detriment - think Gareth Barry in his last season with us.

He fits a role, and I think in games coming up like against Arsenal and Sheffield United, he could be useful. but against pacey sides where we aren't expected to have as much possession, he shouldn't be on the pitch

Yeah it's guesswork obviously but it's what i've suspected for a while. I think it's clear he'll always give you a chance to dispossess him, because he's slow and likes to get his head up. Springing a trap to pressure him is pretty low risk/high reward stuff, because he always gives you the chance, and you know that he doesn't really have it in his armoury to hurt you if it doesn't come off. It's not like an Arteta where he might dribble past leaving two players out the game and then do you some damage, basically the worst he's going to do is play a decent ball out wide and mean you have to work to get back in position. Same defensively, I think people are aware that it's highly unlikely he'll win the ball off you if you run at him, so they're more willing to do it than they would be in normal circumstances. A player who would ordinarily see the man in front of him and just pass it to be safe is encouraged to run at Gomes thinking either i'll go past him or he'll foul me.

The issue on the risk reward is that he plays in dangerous areas. He's not a 10 who plays in final third, often it's the middle of the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.