2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say a bit of both. He was always a bit like this (slow, poor defensively, not a lot of end product) but he’s definitely worse at the moment. Whether it’s the injury, teams targeting him more, or just a form thing I don’t know, but he’s not got many upsides at the moment.

When I think of it, teams targetting him makes sense. You get some video analysis and highlight to opponents how he plays.

Big moment for him now with Allan out. Needs to step up and command the midfield with Doucoure, starting with a flaky Arsenal at the weekend. Needs to get a hold of the ball and drive forward with it more, remembering his goal v Wolves he hasn't done that since his injury.

It's a confidence and self-belief issue with Gomes, it's plagued him throughout his career. Need to get the wheels turning now or he could be shown the door in the summer.

Yeah he has looked scared lately, always looks for a safe pass rather than trying something.

It's especially annoying as he obviously has tons of ability.

I said before the Newcastle game that it was his chance to 'step up to the plate', unfortunately he didn't. He will be given another chance, injuries dictate that,
so lets hope he does. Again, there is a good player in there , here's hoping he can do it.

I thought Davies should have been the sub yesterday but in all honesty he would have given the ball away a lot more than Gomes did, and that's probably why Ancelotti turned to him.

If Coleman is fit, then I'd consider him in at RB and Holgate in midfield v Arsenal but i think Carlo will stick with what is working.

Gomes needs a big performance and yesterday it was much harder to come in and try and fill Allan's boots than it will be for him to start v Arsenal. However, he needs to be sharper.

Assuming James isn't fit, I think Gomes starts on Saturday, though I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Davies in there instead, alongside Doucoure.

I said before the Newcastle game that it was his chance to 'step up to the plate', unfortunately he didn't. He will be given another chance, injuries dictate that,
so lets hope he does. Again, there is a good player in there , here's hoping he can do it.

His issue at the moment is a lack of conviction/playing with fear.

He didn't really do anything wrong yesterday and played well when he came on v Chelsea. Hopefully, if he does start on Saturday, he's built up some confidence.

People are being so bloody thick if they think he's anywhere near over that injury. It was always going to take at least six months since he came back, and keep in mind that we missed a big chunk of last season and so he went from just getting back into the team to then having another 3 months of no actual football.

He looks like he's lost that yard of pace he had off the mark and that's probably all to do with power and propulsion through the ankle. It was a horrible injury, and it probably still plays on his mind when pushing it that bit more. Anyone who criticises him for that [not him playing bad passes, that's on him] needs to look at themselves.

I thought Davies should have been the sub yesterday but in all honesty he would have given the ball away a lot more than Gomes did, and that's probably why Ancelotti turned to him.

If Coleman is fit, then I'd consider him in at RB and Holgate in midfield v Arsenal but i think Carlo will stick with what is working.

Gomes needs a big performance and yesterday it was much harder to come in and try and fill Allan's boots than it will be for him to start v Arsenal. However, he needs to be sharper.

Assuming James isn't fit, I think Gomes starts on Saturday, though I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Davies in there instead, alongside Doucoure.

Gomes and Siggurdsson together just cant work for me - Has to be one of them + Davies for me bit of energy in the middle of the park.

Gomes and Siggurdsson together just cant work for me - Has to be one of them + Davies for me bit of energy in the middle of the park.

Yep, I tend to agree. Just think Gomes was (and may be used again on Saturday) because he's better on the ball, in theory, than Davies.

Like I said, wouldn't be adverse to seeing Davies in there, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.