Am I a real fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think like everything in life individuals do things differently. It really doesnt matter how you support Everton, the fact that we do means it has got into our DNA. For those who go to games I envy you, but like many around the world it is tv or the puter for me. That does not mean I dont experience the highs and lows of a match day and yes I can be a grouch when we lose.
A kopite said to me how can you support Everton when you dont get to Goodison, I just replied I have never been to heaven either that dont mean im not a christian.

Hello all,

Having recently joined this forum, it seems that in the main, folk on here are pretty die-hard Everton fans. Which is cool. I do love Everton, but I have some limitations.

1) I don't go the match (this is financial and geographical rather than from a lack of want)
2) I've never bought an Everton shirt (last one was bought for me in 1995)
3) I would never wear a football shirt other than when I play football
4) The idea of dressing my kids up in Everton kit, no thanks
5) Naming my kids after Everton players, no thanks
6) When we win its great, when we lose, well, it doesn't ruin my weekend.

Not casting aspertions on anyone, but just wondering where you think you rank on the fandom scale?

Number 4 is the only one that raises an eyebrow from me

Hello all,

Having recently joined this forum, it seems that in the main, folk on here are pretty die-hard Everton fans. Which is cool. I do love Everton, but I have some limitations.

1) I don't go the match (this is financial and geographical rather than from a lack of want)

Not casting aspertions on anyone, but just wondering where you think you rank on the fandom scale?

When you say, 'I do love Everton', what parts do you actually love? What pleasure, if anything, do you actually derive? Any great memories? Favourite players and games?

- Not going the match - okay, fair enough. Geography/finances, good reasons.
- Never bought an Everton shirt - okay, not your thing, fair enough. Do you financially support the club in any way? Have you bought an Everton mug, or a magazine, or a programme, or something that costs a few quid that in some small way shows your affection for Everton? Before anyone responds, yes I know Kitbag gets all the money from any purchases.
- Not wearing a shirt other than playing football, fair enough.
- Naming kids after Everton players, fair enough, not many do that anyway.
- Us losing 'not ruining your weekend' - that's a strange one. If how we fare doesn't affect you on an emotional level, how can you say you 'love Everton'?

I'm not saying this is you, but there's more to being a fan of a football club than just picking a random team and being slightly happy when they win, and that being the sum total of you being a fan of that club. Being a fan normally entails some varying degree of commitment, either time, money, emotion or all three.

Last shirt I owned was the DANKA one i think. Just think they look a bit naff on anyone over 15. Nothing against people who wear them though, other than the fairly pretentious sartorial judgement i've just made.Do own other Everton stuff though, hoodie, polo, mug, duncan ferguson canvass print and duncan ferguson t-shirt.

Must admit that losses don't quite sting like they used to, other than those to the RS. Qualify that slightly, they don't sting as long as they used to, it really did use to be a weekend ruined...no it's more like 2/3 hours. Wins still produce the same euphoria though, so it's not all bad news.

Hello all,

Number 1 for me is sometimes yes i go,but sometimes no,
number 2 i buy every everton shirt home and away, plus 3rd kit,going on the last 10 years or so,
number 3-i wear mine at work,
number 4 i have none, but try and buy my nieces them,
number 5-as 4 but would not name them after players when i have kids,
number 6 when we lose i am ok ish,but the longer the day goes on [and the odd day later] after defeat the more angry i become knowing we could have been higher up etc in the league-even worst when you see people on here sometimes carrying on moaning even more lol even after a defeat but a good performance

let's get some things straight,

A) dressing your kids in Everton gear is what it's all about, new generation n all that, i used to buzz getting the new kit as a kid.

B) wearing an Everton shirt casually with jeans outside of match day does not make you a 'whopper' as @RadioFriendlyUnitShifter put it,maybe thinking you're a bit too cool to wear one makes you the whopper to be fair. Wearing one when out for a night out is a bit OTT but paying £50 for a shirt that you will only wear 18 times for the match is a bit daft??

C) We should always care about getting beat.

I care about those things but it doesn't make me more or less a fan than anyone else :cheers:

let's get some things straight,

A) dressing your kids in Everton gear is what it's all about, new generation n all that, i used to buzz getting the new kit as a kid.

B) wearing an Everton shirt casually with jeans outside of match day does not make you a 'whopper' as @RadioFriendlyUnitShifter put it,maybe thinking you're a bit too cool to wear one makes you the whopper to be fair. Wearing one when out for a night out is a bit OTT but paying £50 for a shirt that you will only wear 18 times for the match is a bit daft??

C) We should always care about getting beat.

I care about those things but it doesn't make me more or less a fan than anyone else :cheers:

Just the shirt with jeans, maybe. I'd find it totally acceptable if you were abroad -- that's representing Everton. But around town or whatever? Got to disagree, makes you look like a manchild.

Ultimately though it's like being in love. You can try and say what that is, what it isn't, but deep down, you know if it's there or if it isn't.

I love Everton. That's all there is to it.

When you say, 'I do love Everton', what parts do you actually love? What pleasure, if anything, do you actually derive? Any great memories? Favourite players and games?

- Not going the match - okay, fair enough. Geography/finances, good reasons.
- Never bought an Everton shirt - okay, not your thing, fair enough. Do you financially support the club in any way? Have you bought an Everton mug, or a magazine, or a programme, or something that costs a few quid that in some small way shows your affection for Everton? Before anyone responds, yes I know Kitbag gets all the money from any purchases.
- Not wearing a shirt other than playing football, fair enough.
- Naming kids after Everton players, fair enough, not many do that anyway.
- Us losing 'not ruining your weekend' - that's a strange one. If how we fare doesn't affect you on an emotional level, how can you say you 'love Everton'?

I'm not saying this is you, but there's more to being a fan of a football club than just picking a random team and being slightly happy when they win, and that being the sum total of you being a fan of that club. Being a fan normally entails some varying degree of commitment, either time, money, emotion or all three.
You make a lot of good points here. Defining why I love Everton is tough. I didn't pick them, my dad made that decision. But I do definitely feel a connection with the club, we're a pretty honest club with generally likeable players and I like that.

As for financially supporting the club through purchases, I'll hold my hands up and admit this is very minimal.

It does sometimes feel like I just 'support' Everton by seeing if they've won or not each weekend, but I'm not really sure what more I can do.

As I said earlier, greatest memory has to be the first walk up the steps in the ground. I defy anyone not to fall in love with the club after that.

But to answer your question, I guess I'm borderline fan and straying into follower territory.

Just the shirt with jeans, maybe. I'd find it totally acceptable if you were abroad -- that's representing Everton. But around town or whatever? Got to disagree, makes you look like a manchild.

Ultimately though it's like being in love. You can try and say what that is, what it isn't, but deep down, you know if it's there or if it isn't.

I love Everton. That's all there is to it.

I see mine on none match days as basically a t-shirt but at the same time saying i'm an Everton fan. I live in a place where most are Man Utd or Liverpool fans so you hopefully appreciate why I wear one as casual attire.

Would never wear one on a night out or anything like that's a no no in anyone's eyes.

I see mine on none match days as basically a t-shirt but at the same time saying i'm an Everton fan. I live in a place where most are Man Utd or Liverpool fans so you hopefully appreciate why I wear one as casual attire.

Would never wear one on a night out or anything like that's a no no in anyone's eyes.

If you don't live in Liverpool it's more acceptable, I think. I'll let it slide this time, Cheesy old boy.

I think there's a huge difference between a fan and a supporter.

You seem to be in the fan section, which isn't a good or bad thing. Either way you're helping Everton out, probably unintentionally.

You've got it mixed up mate.

Fan is short for fanatic. This fella sounds like a casual supporter.

Folk who wear football shirts regularly - do you not find that they're uncomfortable, generally unflattering and encourage B.O.? Just back from football, and I just couldn't imagine wearing my shirt at any other time. Give me a simple cotton t-shirt any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.