Am I a real fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Everton dressing gown and pyjamas, does this make me a SuperFan.

The thing is with people who say they're bigger fans than others it's an ego thing. Their opinions count no more than anybody else. The fact is you show an interest in Everton, that's all that matters.

Hello all,

Having recently joined this forum, it seems that in the main, folk on here are pretty die-hard Everton fans. Which is cool. I do love Everton, but I have some limitations.

1) I don't go the match (this is financial and geographical rather than from a lack of want)
2) I've never bought an Everton shirt (last one was bought for me in 1995)
3) I would never wear a football shirt other than when I play football
4) The idea of dressing my kids up in Everton kit, no thanks
5) Naming my kids after Everton players, no thanks
6) When we win its great, when we lose, well, it doesn't ruin my weekend.

Not casting aspertions on anyone, but just wondering where you think you rank on the fandom scale?

bad kopite you mate

Describe the emotions the following images create:
luis-suarez_2744043b.jpg

article-1351440948627-15bacfc8000005dc-129129_636x300.jpg

Pepperoni-Pineapple-pizza-24146386-500-332.jpg
1- GET IN KEV
2 - frosted tips
3 - Rolf Harris-esque

Hello all,

Having recently joined this forum, it seems that in the main, folk on here are pretty die-hard Everton fans. Which is cool. I do love Everton, but I have some limitations.

1) I don't go the match (this is financial and geographical rather than from a lack of want)
2) I've never bought an Everton shirt (last one was bought for me in 1995)
3) I would never wear a football shirt other than when I play football
4) The idea of dressing my kids up in Everton kit, no thanks
5) Naming my kids after Everton players, no thanks
6) When we win its great, when we lose, well, it doesn't ruin my weekend.

Not casting aspertions on anyone, but just wondering where you think you rank on the fandom scale?

This post got me thinking. Everton were my second team growing up but when I met my now husband (13 years ago) his love of blue rubbed off on me and eventually I took his name and his club.

With regard to the aforementioned limitations:
1) Have been to Goodison twice - geographical limitation
2) I actually bought an Everton jersey for myself (funnily enough, I never had one of my previous team)
3) Wear sportswear quite a bit but usually save the jersey for watching the match whether at home or in the pub or whatever
4) Would dress up the baby toffee in a kit if I could get one in his size but only on match days
5) Baby toffees middle name is the same as one of the players first names - by coincidence rather than design
6) When we win great, when we lose, it doesn't ruin my weekend but I would sulk for a while after

I just love what Everton stands for. There's something so friendly about the club and their fans and I must admit, when I saw that ad with Billy Ingham for the first time I did have a tear in my eye

A bog standard cheese and tomato and a Hawaiian pizza both cost the same in our local pizza place.

I don't particularly like pineapple on pizza but being a mingebag I always go for the Hawaiian when funds are low.
What does that tell you? Ham costs more usually, so they've priced pineapple at minus whatever ham costs. Even pizza places know Hawaiian pizza is awful.

I'd say there are different levels of fanaticism.

Going (to) the game: How close do you live? It's easy to say "ah but lad I go the game" when you live 3 minutes away from Goodison. If time, geography and finances permit, and you don't go to the game however, then I'd perhaps say it's indicative of you not being a mad blue.

Merchandise: No shame in not being a full kit banker. Personally I think anyone wearing a kit, or even a top, outside of the match or a game of football is a bit of a whopper. Especially if they've got their name/a player's name on the back and are over 12. What you spend on Everton is mostly irrelevant; that almost makes it sound like a cult -- more financial investment =/= higher standing!

Gestures of Fanaticism: Naming your kid Dixie or getting Steve Round's face tattoed onto your ballsack doesn't make you a better fan. If you feel a desire to express your love for the club then that makes sense, much like a love for anything you naturally want to let the world know. But there's nothing wrong with not wanting to do certain things. So long as the answer to the question "red or blue?" is "blue" with overtones of offended shock, then you're sound.

Dem Feels: If Everton losing doesn't bother you then you're not a full on, mad blue. Sorry. When Everton lose it ruins my day and as a consequence, the day of anyone who comes into contact with me! Obviously you can be objective and sensible, putting results into perspective, but I think that raw emotional connection to the club is what defines a fan.

Last edited:
I remember waking up at 3-30am for an extended build up into the Anfield Derby this year. That was an utter kick in the teeth, I'd gone into it so positive then came out of it just feeling embarassed, angry and dirty. Spent the whole day and the rest of the week in an utterly foul mood, fuming at everyone and everything.

I feel/act differently to the OP on all but naming my kids after Everton legends.

Firstly though, it wouldn't be my place to tell you who you do or don't support.

I think it's entirely up to you mate as to whether you think you're a fan or not but in my opinion you're just as welcome to call yourself an Evertonian as myself and every one else. There aren't any set criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.