2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think its as simplistic as mere positioning myself, he's had some awful times centrally to.

A bit of credit has to go into managing the lad himself and his confidence, i the majority of the change has been psychological.
He really hasn't. He played there like 4 times before the last 9 months and I know off the top of my head he was really good in two of him.

It really is that simple. All the other stuff has come because he's confident playing a position that he's good at playing. It all comes back to that change.

He really hasn't. He played there like 4 times before the last 9 months and I know off the top of my head he was really good in two of him.

It really is that simple. All the other stuff has come because he's confident playing a position that he's good at playing. It all comes back to that change.

Dont agree to be honest, ive been in the match thread two or three games counting the breakdown at his focal point of play centrally hes had bad games there. Hes found a niche and form certainly, a penny has dropped and fair play to him, that's a good thing and he has developed, im sure he hasn't done that without support so credit can be shared.

But i think his form picked up under Lampard even in wide positions.

I think his issues and form were down to confidence, psychology and the mental part of the game myself. He clearly has talent.

Its multifaceted variables i think.

Dont agree to be honest, ive been in the match thread two or three games counting the breakdown at his focal point of play centrally hes had bad games there. Hes found a niche and form certainly, a penny has dropped and fair play to him, that's a good thing and he has developed, im sure he hasn't done that without support so credit can be shared.

But i think his form picked up under Lampard even in wide positions.

I think his issues and form were down to confidence, psychology and the mental part of the game myself. He clearly has talent.

Its multifaceted variables i think.
He didn't really play well wide right at any point for me. We just graded on an ever decreasing curve because of how much we stunk.

I'd love to find the games where he was bad centrally. Even if they do exist I'm sure it's like two times which doesn't really make it a trend.

He didn't really play well wide right at any point for me. We just graded on an ever decreasing curve because of how much we stunk.

I'd love to find the games where he was bad centrally. Even if they do exist I'm sure it's like two times which doesn't really make it a trend.

I think he put in some really decent performances wider mate, since the turn of the year, admittedly his best have been coming inside, but overall he's been a different player regardless of position from the AFCON on. You look at the change agent and there was big change behind the scenes in management so - i think the lad himself and the management deserve credit.

Off the top of my head i remember a few, i was annoyingly counting the breakdowns in the match thread and we were hitting 8-12's. Im not criticising the lad. I actually find the change fascinating.

I was one of the few who was delighted we signed him, i really liked him at Arsenal, i backed him for a long time, i always thought he had the quality he's showing now, but in his second year and half he was awful, honestly i thought our worst ever signing - he was really awful considering what we paid. He is exceeding my initial expectations now, he is quite amazing, which is why i think there was a mentality/psychological/confidence block there - positioning of course is another variable, but personally i think there was a lot at play that we seem to have untangled the knot around, i think its was multifaceted rather then just a simplistic positioning issue. So much of the game is about psychology, i dont think it gets enough recognition if I'm honest. Ive said it before about others Pickford and Keane in particular.

Credit to the lad and management team over all though, he has been awesome.

I think he put in some really decent performances wider mate, since the turn of the year, admittedly his best have been coming inside, but overall he's been a different player regardless of position from the AFCON on. You look at the change agent and there was big change behind the scenes in management so - i think the lad himself and the management deserve credit.

Off the top of my head i remember a few, i was annoyingly counting the breakdowns in the match thread and we were hitting 8-12's. Im not criticising the lad. I actually find the change fascinating.

I was one of the few who was delighted we signed him, i really liked him at Arsenal, i backed him for a long time, i always thought he had the quality he's showing now, but in his second year and half he was awful, honestly i thought our worst ever signing - he was really awful considering what we paid. He is exceeding my initial expectations now, he is quite amazing, which is why i think there was a mentality/psychological/confidence block there - positioning of course is another variable, but personally i think there was a lot at play that we seem to have untangled the knot around, i think its was multifaceted rather then just a simplistic positioning issue. So much of the game is about psychology, i dont think it gets enough recognition if I'm honest. Ive said it before about others Pickford and Keane in particular.

I think he's always been a hard working but ineffective right sided player, for me that didn't actually change at any point.

As I said earlier, my main issue was that we signed him as a left winger (who had played centrally a decent amount at arsenal but nowhere near as much as on the left) and we then put him on the right wing.

He has definitely had a few frustrating/bad games centrally, but he was poor for us on the right, which is why he became a bit of a scapegoat. But it really wasn't his position. I think he would have done better on the left but we have been fairly stacked there since he signed.

Lots of things will contribute to his transformation, lampard will be part, his own desire to turn it round, having more space/time than out wide where he is limited by the sideline etc.

Whatever it is, he is first on the team sheet and long may this form last.

I know, everyone missed that part.

Maybe it was fitness, or development, but drove me scatty loosing the ball and not getting back - for a long time, maybe thats unfair i think his out put improved under Carlo, but he played him at wing back as a filler so he kind of had to, maybe there was a bit of genius there in development or luck. To say he's improved his work rate now is an understatement.

He certainly looks far more fiiter now then the same player in his first 2 and half years here. Funny he doesn't seem to pick up those niggly injuries he used to either that would break his momentum. (touch wood).

As I said earlier, my main issue was that we signed him as a left winger (who had played centrally a decent amount at arsenal but nowhere near as much as on the left) and we then put him on the right wing.

He has definitely had a few frustrating/bad games centrally, but he was poor for us on the right, which is why he became a bit of a scapegoat. But it really wasn't his position. I think he would have done better on the left but we have been fairly stacked there since he signed.

Lots of things will contribute to his transformation, lampard will be part, his own desire to turn it round, having more space/time than out wide where he is limited by the sideline etc.

And I think Wenger's wingers did more of the things we would expect central midfield to do. They used Ozil as a RW ffs, he's never ever a winger as we use them.

Funny mate, i always remember him centrally at Arsenal though one of the three behind the one, i wouldn't put money on my memory though.

It is a really a wonderful transformation and story, credit all around. He looked like one of those that would see out their contract and go on a free, the way he looks now and what ever has happened it likely means 10s of millions for the club.

He's really becoming a cult hero.

I’m sorry I called you the worst buy in the club’s history Alex. He’s like a different player now to the one that played out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.