2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s my take on iwobi at least between Carlo and Frank.

Under Carlo he was mainly used as a wide attacker and a couple of times centrally and also a WB where he did ok because he had to be more disciplined. But generally Carlo would say to him use your quality to create chances. And he’d try to pull something off, and many times it wouldn’t work and I think he could feel the crowd get nervous which meant he would start feeling nervous as well.

Under Frank, it seems they’ve identified he has a fantastic work rate and Franks just been keeping it real simple for him to get about and get stuck into opponents. I think the mentality shift from being the person that has to create something to someone that doesn’t have all the pressure to make something happen has helped his game. Because now he hears the crowd get behind him and boost his confidence and he’s actually making better passes and decisions as a result.

He’s very much a confidence player but Frank has been able to get more out of him by taking the pressure off him. And now when he gets on the ball his dribbling and passing is now coming off because he’s much more confident about it.

Still can't get my head around his transformation - it's utterly baffling to me
Its not really baffling to me.

For 2 and a half years he didnt care, simply picked up his wages and mugged off the fanbase.

Then he thought that maybe he should put in some effort in order to get a move.

Its the old age story, boy meets club, boy takes club for a mug.

Didn't Wenger used to rave about him when he was coming through?

That's what I used to pin hope on, because I really didn't want us to sign him because I never saw him having the composure to give us the goals/assist we needed for the role he was brought in to do.

Brands;

"But in our eyes, a boy that can play in different positions. Play from the side, also behind the striker.

"He's 23-years-old, already quite experienced and the most important thing: he has goals and assists in his game."

He never had goals or assists in his game;

The 23-year-old scored just 15 goals in 149 appearances for Arsenal, and speaking ahead of the weekend's clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers, Silva has backed his new signing to make the most of his goalscoring potential.

He said: "I will be demanding from him and he knows about scoring more goals.

“A player with his qualities has to score more goals than he normally has in the previous seasons, he will give quality in our attack and in the last moment of our attack.

I still don't think he's a winger or number 10 for that reason, but he's being effective in a number 6/8 through sheer workload and some quality.

Lampard is, IMO, getting the best he can out of the lad and every credit for that, and to Iwobi. Not many have the character to turn it around.

Its not really baffling to me.

For 2 and a half years he didnt care, simply picked up his wages and mugged off the fanbase.

Then he thought that maybe he should put in some effort in order to get a move.

Its the old age story, boy meets club, boy takes club for a mug.
It's wild to me that people can live in this world and think that people get exactly what they deserve based on effort and that success comes simply from trying harder without any relationship to the circumstances people end up in. But here we are.

It's wild to me that people can live in this world and think that people get exactly what they deserve based on effort and that success comes simply from trying harder without any relationship to the circumstances people end up in. But here we are.
What did you try and say here?

Maybe you should make more effort in your thinking.

What did you try and say here?

Maybe you should make more effort in your thinking.
I tried to say stop acting like he or anyone gets what they deserve based on how hard they try as the world doesn't work that way. Just a ridiculous outlook.

And the people who questioned his effort were always wrong. I don't care what your response is, you and everyone else was wrong.

I tried to say stop acting like he or anyone gets what they deserve based on how hard they try as the world doesn't work that way. Just a ridiculous outlook.

And the people who questioned his effort were always wrong. I don't care what your response is, you and everyone else was wrong.
But I wasnt wrong, for 3 and a half years, under various managers he was complete rubbish.

Then, with 18months on his contract, oh look, he puts effort in and becomes a new player.

Its not that deep bruh.

But I wasnt wrong, for 3 and a half years, under various managers he was complete rubbish.

Then, with 18months on his contract, oh look, he puts effort in and becomes a new player.

Its not that deep bruh.
Rubbish isn't the same as effort, I'm not even disputing that he wasn't poor for periods but he always tried. Always.

And everyone who responds telling me different is wrong. So don't bother.

Rubbish isn't the same as effort, I'm not even disputing that he wasn't poor for periods but he always tried. Always.

And everyone who responds telling me different is wrong. So don't bother.
Its great that you trust in your opinion so strongly.

But listen, saying IM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG, is never a good look.

But hey, its great that hes finally decided to show up and earn his money, lets hope he maintains it at after his pay rise.

Historically players normally do not.

Lets not forget that he was dropped by Nigeria in this timeframe of him lacking effort.

But hey, its great that hes finally decided to show up and earn his money, lets hope he maintains in at after his pay rise.
I know it isn't, I don't care on this one.

And the reason I don't is because Evertonians have this ongoing lie where many say they will support bad players who try. But it never actually works like that, people only care when the player trying is actually decent. Which isn't wrong or anything, but the dishonesty about it means I can't trust an evaluation where a player who is playing better is doing so because of effort. Sorry about it.

Not sure he was always hard working myself mate.
Think the root of everything is his natural engine he has.

He used to cover a lot of distance, do a fair few sprints, pressing etc, but in spells, resting for parts of the match too.

Remember reading quite soon after taking over Lampards team done blood oxygen tests on the players and Iwobi came in ridiculously good on them - meaning he had way more capacity than he was using, feel like that fact is whst flipped a switch for the lad and since then the confidence in whst he's capable if physically has spread to every other facet of his game (weirdly not worrying about tiring, pacing yourself he just gets on with playing now)

But hey, its great that hes finally decided to show up and earn his money, lets hope he maintains it at after his pay rise.

Historically players normally do not.

Sometimes, in a moment of reflection, I ponder if my long held belief that judging a player from TV is night and day from judging a player from a seat in the ground, is wrong.

Then on a slow Tuesday afternoon pottering around on here, I realise that in fact, I am still correct.

Didn't he say last year that when they did blood tests or something pre season he had the highest scoring blood cell count which meant he had potential to be the fittest so then decided to basically sprint everywhere which was very much appreciated by the fans, especially after watching gomes allan and davies hobble around the middle for 90 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.