2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He literally used stats to try and say that Sigurdsson WAS better than Messi. The thing is, his selected numbers did actually say that, so he could just hide behind them whenever someone tried to call him out. That’s why I will steadfastly dismiss anyone using stats as evidence of a player’s ability/level.
Got more in common with Phillip Schofield than Lionel Messi. Allegedly.

Anyway, Iwobi will always drive us mad. Said it the other day, if he could hit a good level consistently he'd still be at Arsenal.

He literally used stats to try and say that Sigurdsson WAS better than Messi. The thing is, his selected numbers did actually say that, so he could just hide behind them whenever someone tried to call him out. That’s why I will steadfastly dismiss anyone using stats as evidence of a player’s ability/level.
Was this actually a thing? That’s magnificent number-based buffoonery!
Well done to Alex Iwobi for winning Players Player. I’d of given them all Clubman awards except Vinagre.

More stats 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 122
People actually thinking that the Players' Player of The Year actually means anything other than a pat on the head. Gordon won it last year ffs over the likes of Pickford and Richarlison. It's a "you're nice to me" award.

As others have said, shows all it needs about the dressing room really, gang of losers voting for a loser.
Like it or not Gordon was crucial last season. That award may not definitively define the best player but it doesn't mean what you are suggesting. Players appreciate team mates they rely on, albeit for different reasons on the pitch.

Aye and we scraped survival by the skin of our teeth. I think him starting every game and only scoring twice was a pretty big contribution to us finishing so low in the league. Players getting games week in, week out in his position need to be looking at 6-10 goals.

I think things can be true at the same time. For me, Iwobi was undoubtedly one of our best players last season and has been consistently since the start of 2022. Now, did we overpay for him? Yes. Does he not score enough? Yes. Do we need better quality in the starting 11 if we are gonna push for Europe? Yes.

But what's also true is right now we are relegation candidate level team and he is one of our only creative outlets, is consistently fit, will play wherever the manager tells him and works hard for the team in both attack and defense.

Iwobi is not a problem for Everton at the moment. I think even if we are to kick on up the table, he'd be a good squad player.

I think things can be true at the same time. For me, Iwobi was undoubtedly one of our best players last season and has been consistently since the start of 2022. Now, did we overpay for him? Yes. Does he not score enough? Yes. Do we need better quality in the starting 11 if we are gonna push for Europe? Yes.

But what's also true is right now we are relegation candidate level team and he is one of our only creative outlets, is consistently fit, will play wherever the manager tells him and works hard for the team in both attack and defense.

Iwobi is not a problem for Everton at the moment. I think even if we are to kick on up the table, he'd be a good squad player.
You're spot on. He was one of our best players last season but that in itself is hardly a glowing reference. We did see a major improvement in workrate, but that's to be expected from all players. He did create a lot of chances so I assume if we'd have actually had strikers then he'd have racked up quite a few assists which in turn would have made him look a better player. For me he's an ideal rotation player, perfectly fine to start quite a few games, but with alternatives in the squad who you can rely on to have more of a goal threat when needed. I wouldn't trust the club to spend any money we would receive for him if he were sold, so I guess it's best for us to keep him.

Remember he was in a poor squad of players - in a good team - he would shine even more .... central midfield is his position ....

You mean a team like say….. arsenal? Where he was sold as soon as someone like us was stupid enough to pay more than 20m for him?

Mate, its £20k a week extra, its nothing to worry about.

His increase works out at £2 million extra for 2 years - And in that time we could sell him for more than we could now.

Also makes is less likely that another team will match his current contract … falling into the bolasie, niasse, Morgan, tuson, walcott, dele category of players that won’t move and we can’t sell

Status
Not open for further replies.