AJ to Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not you too Dom!:(

Maybe we need a poll here, should we keep AJ!:blink:

well would you prefer to keep AJ meaning there is no need for a striker really...

...or sell him, use that money and some extra money to buy a better striker who scores?

Lets make a one off bid for David Villa - fire several useless players and pay him 120,000 a week :)

But seriously, there are better strikers out there.

The thing with people saying give him 1 more season to see if he can score 15-20 goals like he did at palace is crap, the only reason he scored that many was most were penalties, now he won't even attempt to get 1 for fear of being accused of being a diver so that's the main part of his game gone, hes never been a great scorer of goals from open play

We should only sell AJ if we need the funds to to secure a deal on a player of superioir quality such as Joao Moutinho, even though he is not a striker he would be an overall improvement to the team.
AJ is still a good player and until we bring in players of superioir quality, then we shouldn't let him go or any other first team player for that matter.

The quality is there undoubtedly but EFC seems to weigh on strikers with our history of great 1s. Look at Beattie, i think everyone agrees he was useless for us but as soon as he goes to Sheff U he can't stop scoring and now he's wanted by loads of Prem teams

I think he can't hack the pressure personally, he shows glimpses of true brilliance but then so did McFadden

We all call Rooney for his lack of loyalty and not giving us a chance to improve ,Then the same outraged fans first deride Faddy and wanted to take anything as long as he went,now its AJs turn so where is your loyalty to the players.Last season some had the nerve to get on Arteta's back for some admittedly by his standards poor games but what about him carrying us for seasons also we are supposed to be extending the squad as well as improving it. Selling players as we replace them means that cant be done.

With a fully fuctioning midfield AJ can score us 20 goals a season, plus he will work his ass off while doing so.

Unless we have a better replacement lined up selling him is pretty stupid really.

Whats wrong with the midfield. Are Pienaar, Arteta, Fernandes, Osman, Carsley and Cahill not good enough to feed johnson? I think the players mentioned are very capable midfielders. Four are creative, one is clever and has good movement and one is defensive.

Its not a perfect midfield by any means but its very capable.

Whats wrong with the midfield. Are Pienaar, Arteta, Fernandes, Osman, Carsley and Cahill not good enough to feed johnson? I think the players mentioned are very capable midfielders. Four are creative, one is clever and has good movement and one is defensive.

Its not a perfect midfield by any means but its very capable.

Thats what i meant. When its at full strength, ie Cahill and Arteta mainly providing creativity and working well with AJ he will score goals. Take them away and he will suffer, which happened a lot last season with injuries.

Thats what i meant. When its at full strength, ie Cahill and Arteta mainly providing creativity and working well with AJ he will score goals. Take them away and he will suffer, which happened a lot last season with injuries.

We'll have to wait and see. I'm all for giving him a chance if we don't get a replacement in. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I've always been a critic of Beattie and AJ signing for that amount of money. I never believed that he could reproduce the same type of goalscoring displays he produced at Palace.

Besides that, he only had one top flight season and a substantial part of his goals came from the spot kick.

This season we've scored 53 league goals.

I think Arteta can score 10 and Cahill can score another 10. Yakubu can score 15. From the midfield we should get 10 more goals. The defence should provide 5 goals. A partner for Yak should deliever another 15 goals. Let's say the bench should provide another 5 goals.

In total, we could get 70 league goals. But we have not.

This 17 goals would mean a difference? I think so.

AJ hasn't produced the goods, but he could still have a role as a squad player. One of those in the bench who could bring a handful of goals.

The decisive fact about him staying or not should rely on finding a consistent goalscorer or a couple of players that can bring goals.

He has pace and that makes him valuable and different from the rest. He used to get penalties for his team at Palace, but playing for us has he really been able to do that?

I honestly can't say wether to keep him or not. But if we're selling it should be for real money. money that should help us finding a good goalscorer. Saha maybe?

Saha's on his last legs and would probably want 50,000+ per week to sit on the bench.

AJ has had an unlucky season (injuries, confidence, decisions) but has been effectful in front of goal, especially in Europe, but not at the top flight that he could probably get to.

Why do you think West Ham, Villa etc are all rumoured to want him for upwards or 8-9mill? Because hes got the potential there, and proved it last season before being hit with injury. He's a menace around defenders and keeps them on their toes because if they dont he's through on goal, his positioning is great (how many times did the ball just bounce off him into the goal or move defenders out of position?) and he has the pace.

What he's lacking is selfishness and the confidence to just **** the ball, which he can do (SK Brann anyone?). Another season then we'll see what we do with him IMO.

Personaly i think Johnson is the most unlucky centrwe froward in the leauge, he must be the most fouled player for the poorest penalty award ratio in the prem, do i think has this undermined his confidence? Yes i feel little, and i think defenders have learned his game very well and are much more aware of his strengths and weaknesses much more then in his first season.

I think an important point is that i thnk he was asked to play a different role this season to that he played in his first season. When playing with the Yak he was asked to play the channels probabing and stretching defences or wearing them down for space to be created for the less mobile but dead eye Yak and at times Cahill. Still with this in mind, his oppurtunites, and injusries i feel he contributed a lot as well as goals.

I remember myself and Monty got slated this time last year for saying we would consider a 15mill bid for him, Monty beleived that defenders had cottoned on to his game, which i beleive they have, and i beleived as i beleive now that players who rely on their pace prinarily have a shelf life of close to thrity before they begin to become less mobile. What was always guideing is my belief in James Vaghan who i beleive is a massive talent and who even may surpass the Yak in times ahead.

I dont think he will leave ecause i think he is one Of Moyes's favouate players, but as i say i think we have to be oncious of the timing of when we let him go t get a good return him, for me he may have a season or two left in im in before is pace waines.

Status
Not open for further replies.