4-4-2 Under Dyche - is this the Answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwobi as our Hendricks.

Iwobi's the only player with both technical quality and engine in the team; he'll be required through the middle (or potentially out wide right on the assumption that he can track back and find Coleman bombing on, a bit like the set up Ancelotti had). It's more likely that Maupay will play that 'Hendricks' role as he's better at link up play and harrassing defenders than say backing into them. Probably a reason why we need two forwards rather than just the one on loan.

Probably be something like:

Striker
Maupay
Gray - Onana - Gueye/Garner - Iwobi
Mykolenko - Tarkowski - Keane - Coleman/Godfrey/Holgate
Pickford

That keeps us up imo.

Iwobi's the only player with both technical quality and engine in the team; he'll be required through the middle (or potentially out wide right on the assumption that he can track back and find Coleman bombing on, a bit like the set up Ancelotti had). It's more likely that Maupay will play that 'Hendricks' role as he's better at link up play and harrassing defenders than say backing into them. Probably a reason why we need two forwards rather than just the one on loan.

Probably be something like:

Striker
Maupay
Gray - Onana - Gueye/Garner - Iwobi
Mykolenko - Tarkowski - Keane - Coleman/Godfrey/Holgate
Pickford

That keeps us up imo.
I think we need a lot more energy in the position behind th strker than Maupay has shown.

I think we need a lot more energy in the position behind th strker than Maupay has shown.

Fair point - it might even be Gueye further forward to be honest if he does go for the 4-4-1-1, as he's played further forward for PSG before (and he's one of the better tacklers in the squad). I think Maupay has more to show though; think in the right shape he'll have more opportunity to showcase energy, because he's demonstrated it before for Brighton (hence why he was linked alongside the likes of Che Adams in the summer)

It could definitely work for 4 weeks or so, thereafter will have to be a bit more flexible because teams will work us out and look to exploit our lack of bodies in midfield particularly if the distance between defence and attack is large. Might have to drop a forward in (perhaps play iwobi there or get Onana to reprise Fellaini role).

There is a video of Dyche talking about his 442 or 4411 tactic. He more or less admits that you have to go long with this in the premier league because 9 times out of 10 your midfield 2 are outnumbered in the middle of the park, so the basic play would be Pickford rolling the ball out to Tarkowski, he launches it forward to Dominic Calvert-Lewin and then Maupay and the wide players will be coming inside to pick up the 2nd ball and make chances. Welcome to Dyche Ball!

If only Lampard had realized that only having the two in midfield left us badly outnumbered....and yet he persisted with three at the back till the end.

Rather that than the side to side passing along the back 4.

Exactly. It was painful. We had no plan. At least this is a plan.

Both see us relegated.
So does it matter either way?

Not sure on this. Before DCL had his one big goal scoring season, the one thing he was really good at was competing for and holding up the ball. If we can tap into that, it could help. Also, Benitez saw success early days by getting the ball into the box from the wings quickly. Not exactly the same, but for both you bypass the midfield.

I'm no traditionalist, particularly, and I haven't been clamouring for the formation or the manager - but I wonder if the combination of Dyche and the players we have available means that 4-4-2 is going to click.

It's his preferred formation. He plays it in a simple, teachable way - and we have players that have played it under him.

I have also been wanting to see Maupay and Dominic Calvert-Lewin given a go as a pairing. I'm convinced it'll bring Maupay into the game more, and allow him to get on the scoresheet.

Maybe this is just my coping mechanisms firing into life, but I think this whole mess could work out with something as simple as Dyche's 4-4-2.
Need better at RB and LB for 442

We can't do 442 when we seem to rely on 3 centre halves and 3 in the midfield and just about have 1 striker. The same applies now as it would for Lampard
we need at least another striker.

Not sure how it'll work really, maybe...

Pickford
Coleman Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Iwobi Gana Onana Gray/McNeil
Dominic Calvert-Lewin Maupay
Obviously still desperate for a few new players
Yeah I think this will be it, though maybe Mina or Keane in for Coady just for height. I'm hoping Garner can take over for Gana because I fear him in a two with the way he's been playing this season. I agree that he'll use Iwobi as a wide player, which has not gone well outside of a short stretch under Carlo. I'd actually rather see him rotate through CM, but he might just be dropped honestly. We desperately need at least one striker, a winger, and another fullback. I wonder how Maupay will do in the Barnes role. I think we're going to see someone brought in for that position regardless.

Also, one thing I was looking forward to with a more progressive manager was more reliance on good wide forwards, with at least one dynamic player coming in. I fear that Dyche's set up is going to be way too reliant on Calvert-Lewin, who just doesn't look up for it right now. Dom from a couple of seasons ago would be ideal for that Wood role where he wins every header and knocks balls on, but in his current form we'll struggle playing like that.

It will be interesting to see how he sets up his midfeld two and if they sit deep screen the Defenders or are further up the pitch. Onana sitting deep and then running forward with the ball could be interesting. I can see both Gray and Iwobi behind Dom in a 4-4-1-1. Proabaly the best spots for them. Wide Midfielders/wingers will be an issue for us with gordon gone.

Also, one thing I was looking forward to with a more progressive manager was more reliance on good wide forwards, with at least one dynamic player coming in. I fear that Dyche's set up is going to be way too reliant on Calvert-Lewin, who just doesn't look up for it right now. Dom from a couple of seasons ago would be ideal for that Wood role where he wins every header and knocks balls on, but in his current form we'll struggle playing like that.
Calvert-Lewin can win headers and flick ons but Dyche's tactics video shows he needs someone who can actually hold the ball up in order to give his teammates time to link up with play. Dom is just not that good at making the ball stick. If we sign a striker who can hold the ball up maybe Calvert-Lewin can play as the runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.