Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Silva - 18/19

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Cheesy McToastman - 5000 BC

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the football exhibition that Boro gave us in the FA Cup. A miserable 3-0 defeat up there that got Smith sacked a couple of days later.
A happy ending at least.

It's very hard to make a comparison. We were a worse team under Smith. I remember that season we didn't score a goal at Goodison till late October.

However the same level of sustained investment hadn't gone into the team.

The Sheffield Wednesday game though, around this time of year was truly awful. Imagine West Ham are home last season but multiplied. Truly sickening feeling. Now feels empty compared to then. In all honesty emptiness and dismay is still better than the panic of that era though.

Because of the money spent and supposed calibre of player we have, how expectations are bigger, this is worse, in 99 we never expected anything

Under smith, a decent striker stop us getting relegated.
Under Silva, a decent striker stop us breaking into TOP half.

No comparison to the fear I’ve had under smith. Utterly tremble with fear of relegation.

Th
It's very hard to make a comparison. We were a worse team under Smith. I remember that season we didn't score a goal at Goodison till late October.

However the same level of sustained investment hadn't gone into the team.

The Sheffield Wednesday game though, around this time of year was truly awful. Imagine West Ham are home last season but multiplied. Truly sickening feeling. Now feels empty compared to then. In all honesty emptiness and dismay is still better than the panic of that era though.
That Wednesday game was my worst experience of football at Goodison. Best (?) only by Derby away winning by a goal by an Argentinian who wasn't eligible to play it transpired.

Awful awful times. The more I think about It, the worse Smith's era gets.

Aaaah, the memories of Richie Dunne at RB in a solid back 5 and Steve Watson playing as a lone striker never fade. Halcyon days indeed.
Watson didn’t join until two years later and didn’t really play that striker role until Moyes came in. Even worse than you remember!

The 1998-99 season under Smith I remember greatly as its the first and only time I have been to every game home and away in a season.
After a goal less first game when John Collins missed a penalty, we struggled to score goals all season, especially at home when we didn't score at all for the first five games.
Hopes were high, Matterazzi, Dacourt, Collins all came in, Unsworth returned, Ferguson was fit. Cleland had come down to replace the likes of Mitch Ward and Jon O Kane at right back. Unfortunately we flattered to deceive, Ferguson was sold stupidly and we just went backwards. It was only when Campbell and Scott Gemmill were signed that we saved the season. The biggest hurt of the season was cup defeats, Sunderland at home on pens when Luton awaited in the quarter finals and a televised game at Newcastle, their ground was going through refurbish and we has two sections opposite each other, it was a horrific day after Unsworth equalised. I remember I think York services being ransacked on the way home
Oh I lasted 16 minutes of the Anfield Derby after getting thrown out when fowler scored, yet was back in when we scored in injury time. Claim to fame, I saw both goals at Anfield that season, yet missed 75 minutes of the game. My first and only football offence ever

Th
That Wednesday game was my worst experience of football at Goodison. Best (?) only by Derby away winning by a goal by an Argentinian who wasn't eligible to play it transpired.

Awful awful times. The more I think about It, the worse Smith's era gets.

We like to tell ourselves we were masterminds of survival. I am of the view we just got really lucky.

The pressure going into the Coventry game that season (not the Kendall one) was enormous. I remember a huge win at newcastle around that time too. But yes Coventry at home, Campbell got his first 2 goals I think, but it was almost at the point where if we lost it we were gone.

I remember the football exhibition that Boro gave us in the FA Cup. A miserable 3-0 defeat up there that got Smith sacked a couple of days later.
A happy ending at least.

One of the worst days ever that. I think we took 8000 up there the whole of behind the goal. It was 3-0 at half time.
Ive just googled the team to depress myself

Simonsen
Pistone Clarke Weir Stubbs Unsworth
Gazza Lindroth Gemmill
Max-Moore Radzinski

Nick Chadwick, Alexanderson and Blomquist came on second half

WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.