2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be the most Everton thing that could happen. Paying another team who are minted to take a very skilled player from us at a time when we cannot even field a full strength team due to injuries. It is actually completely insane but we are used to unheard levels of insanity being Evertonians.
I really really really really really really hate Benitez mate.

Well, personally I suspect hes been suspended, but yeah, nobody really knows.

Oh we've suspended him but ultimately we'll still be paying him (or at least we may be required to at some stage) while he is contracted to us.

If we tear up his deal then that's a different thing altogether but, to be fair to him, as you say we don't know so legally I don't think the club would be able to do that unless certain things happen.

They aren't mate.

AMN thing is from Joyce's piece, nothing to do with social media.

Longstaff was widely reported and the Athletic went with it a few times (both their Newcastle and Everton writers).

I think the Dumfries thing was probably a bit of both. Benitez maybe wasn't sure but it seems we decided we did want him but regardless, couldn't get the money together

But how does Joyce know who Benitez likes and doesnt? Benitez is a tough nut to crack at the best of times ask Gerrard who couldn't get a pat on the back off the fella do you think he's blurting out to Joyce over dinner who he likes/wants to sign!? lol

The Athletic are very hit and miss as well - some take them as absolute gospel when the reality is since Brands came in very few bits of information gets leaked these days. Joyce himself got a bit arsy with the club over it if you recall remember his antics at the press conference with Carlo over Van Dijk.

Here's some high-level data I included in an article a few weeks ago (no, it wasn't a hit piece, was just off Benitez's comments about him needing to adapt to the team etc)

- Played 26 games in all competitions last season, James scored six goals and provided eight assists, creating 54 chances, placing him second in Everton's squad behind Gylfi Sigurdsson (60), who made 18 appearances more.

- James led the way for Everton with chances created from open play (38) and when it came to crafting big chances (defined by Opta as a situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score).

- Per 90 minutes played, James created 0.56 big chances in the Premier League, putting him just below Jack Grealish and Bruno Fernandes (0.58), ranking sixth in the competition in that metric from players to play 20 or more matches.

- Completing games may well be the biggest challenge for James. He was substituted in 16 matches last season, more than any other Everton player.
But why then is there not a club in a decent league who will take him ?

I am not being argumentative, it is a genuine question.
There will be no transfer fee, I would guess that Everton would even contribute to his salary until next June.
James wants to leave I think that is clear, Benitez doesn't want him around I think that is equally clear.

So, why then could they not find a club to take him.
I think that during the summer that James hinted he might like to try Italy as he had never played there before.

I

We really don’t know what the situation is here. It could be Rafael, it could be the club, or it could be James just not wanting to play for us again.

But how does Joyce know who Benitez likes and doesnt? Benitez is a tough nut to crack at the best of times ask Gerrard who couldn't get a pat on the back off the fella do you think he's blurting out to Joyce over dinner who he likes/wants to sign!? lol

The Athletic are very hit and miss as well - some take them as absolute gospel when the reality is since Brands came in very few bits of information gets leaked these days. Joyce himself got a bit arsy with the club over it if you recall remember his antics at the press conference with Carlo over Van Dijk.
Did you read the article mate?

It had a direct quote from a 'senior coach' and also was basically just a hit piece on Brands and Carlo and a love-in for RB.

Again, not saying I disagree with the Brands and Carlo criticism at all. But Joyce is suddenly very much back in the loop having been out of it for quite a while. Simon Hughes in the athletic, another red journo, had the same info.

The posters claiming they want delph out as well and acting as if its the same, you may want him out, like most of us, but you certainly aren't treating him with the same vitriol as you are treating James. Or certainly the two threads are worlds apart.

And it'd laughable to pretend like you are.

I don't loathe Benitez tbf. I happen to think he's not a bad choice all in all for where we are at right now. I will back the team while he is here because I support the team. I just don't like how it's run.

Part of my issue is giving successive managers full control over recruitment. People keep saying there's a strategy but there clearly isn't.

Benitez picked every player that came in this summer. So what's the point in trying to have a structure that's suppose to be in place above a manager?
Agree with all that apart from the not loathing Benitez bit Toff.

I've never liked the man but was prepared to give him a chance. But the way he has treated James just underlines many of the reasons I hate him

But why then is there not a club in a decent league who will take him ?

I am not being argumentative, it is a genuine question.
There will be no transfer fee, I would guess that Everton would even contribute to his salary until next June.
James wants to leave I think that is clear, Benitez doesn't want him around I think that is equally clear.

So, why then could they not find a club to take him.
I think that during the summer that James hinted he might like to try Italy as he had never played there before.

I
Wages.

Everton, I don't think, are stupid enough to pay another PL team anything to take him off our hands. And another PL team that needs him (i.e. any club outside of the top four) would probably not pay his wage either based on his injury record last year.

So we're looking at Europe. And Europe is, by and large, skint. So we tried to get clever with Porto but they sacked it off, and said no deal with Diaz. Then it was down to James taking a pay cut going there because, I imagine, Everton probably said to porto that we weren't gonna pay him to play for them without them giving us some leeway in a Diaz deal.

Istanbul came calling and we agreed to subsidise his wage but he didn't want to go there.

I imagine the Qatar move is happening because a) they have the cash to cover his wages and we don't have to and b) he'll be their big poster boy before the world cup. He's a huge, huge name, a superstar, and having him playing in their country for a season or two heading into the WC is huge. It's huge for him too.

Agree with all that apart from the not loathing Benitez bit Toff.

I've never liked the man but was prepared to give him a chance. But the way he has treated James just underlines many of the reasons I hate him

Fair enough mate.

I don't know anything that's gone on between them for definite other than he isn't arsed about him as a player (and some of those reasons I may well agree with, i.e. him not fitting into the system etc)

I'm mad at the club and the fact we're such a mess financially

Status
Not open for further replies.